Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tories to ban drinking on public transport

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For the life of me I can't see what the fuss is about re a ban. Is it really going to affect people that badly if they cannot drink on the tube?
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Can be covered under:

1. No person in a state of intoxication shall enter or remain on the railway.
    2. Where reasonable notice is, or has been given prohibiting intoxicating liquor on any train service, no person shall have any intoxicating liquor with him on it, or attempt to enter such train with intoxicating liquor with him.
    3. Where an authorised person reasonably believes that any person is in a state of intoxication or has with him intoxicating liquor contrary to the Byelaws, the authorised person may:
    (i) require him to leave the railway; and
    (ii) prevent him entering or remaining on the railway until the authorised person is satisfied that he has no intoxicating liquor with him.

He isn't trying to ban alcohol on any rail services.

Hm so i fly over from Italy with a bottle of wine in my luguage and have to take the train home, this means going to london and getting on the tube to get to another station to catch the train to where I am (northants) oops but wait i got on the tube with a bottle of liquor i brought all the way from Italy (or where ever) why don't the police just deal with drunkad and antisocial behaviour ?

I took a bottle of cider on a coach once (not knowing I couldn't) luckily I had put it into a water bottle so it was probably thought to be fruit juice or something, having nothing else to drink i drank it but i didn't get drunk and be a nuisance, knowing the rules I'd not take cider again though.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't see what the fuss is about re a ban. Is it really going to affect people that badly if they cannot drink on the tube?

nope but i guess drinking on the tube = offence, being drunk on the tube = erm we're not to sure best let him be (or her)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    I'm in favour of the ban and I don't consider it a loss of civil liberties at all. It's not even new - for as long as I can remember express trains from London after Leeds United away matches have had to be "dry" because they can't be trusted to behave

And many other football clubs too.......... :D
  • Options
    i guess the moral of the story is if you want to get drunk on the way to a night out don't use public transport; drive instead! :thumb:
  • Options
    i guess the moral of the story is if you want to get drunk on the way to a night out don't use public transport; drive instead! :thumb:

:lol:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    It's a slippery slope isn't it? Little by little the act of drinking gets demonised and criminalised in more and more places. In some beaches and parks (and the number is growing all the time) drinking is now illegal. I'm sorry, but sometimes I like meeting friends in a park and play frisbee, read the paper and chill on the grass while having a beer. I won't even mention the pleasure of going to the beach with a cool bag and spending the day sunbathing with a cold beer at hand.

While drinking on the Tube is not a comparable experience, the fact remains that we're fast moving towards a situation where the only place when one can drink alcohol will be in a licenced premises or at home.

Well, fuck that for a laugh.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It's a slippery slope isn't it? Little by little the act of drinking gets demonised and criminalised in more and more places. In some beaches and parks (and the number is growing all the time) drinking is now illegal. I'm sorry, but sometimes I like meeting friends in a park and play frisbee, read the paper and chill on the grass while having a beer. I won't even mention the pleasure of going to the beach with a cool bag and spending the day sunbathing with a cold beer at hand.

While drinking on the Tube is not a comparable experience, the fact remains that we're fast moving towards a situation where the only place when one can drink alcohol will be in a licenced premises or at home.

Well, fuck that for a laugh.

Slippery slope! Hardly this is just a limited action on a specific area. We've had bans imposed in Bristol by the Labour run council of the time on public drinking in drinking in specific areas. It hasn't led to anything draconian.

If anything the protest proved a need for such a ban.
  • Options
    The protest can't possibly be used as a excuse to justify the ban. It was a one-off event, and one that snowballed out of control because of the ban. Every other weekend since records began, thousands had a drink on the Tube without incident.

People don't usually sit on a tube carriage and drink themselves stupid for fun (unless it is a protest event like last weekend's). Nobody, but nobody goes from normal person to lager lout the 40 minutes/1 hour/whatever it takes them to go reach their destination. Those who caused trouble are already pissed when they enter the Tube.
  • Options
    as usual this is a quick and cheap "fix" that won't fix nothing we need real police out there dealing with drunks and antisocial behaviour not banning eveyone. we are not being stripped pof our rights just because its the best way for all and fair its been done because its cheaper than having police out there operating "comon sense" and discretion. you will notice that the one time there are no police around is at night ie. they work the same hours most people do but want a higher pay for sitting around in their cars ignoring issues instead of being out there. We have had problems here in my village and the "extra policing" has beeing pretty much a token jesture and if they sit in their cars while round the corner youths are doing wheelys in the middle of the road in front of cars well they can fucking well bugger off back home and save us our tax money that pays them.
  • Options
    i think this is a good idea and drinking shouldn't really be allowed on any public transport

its there for the use of the public and its not fair on others if people are allowed to get blotto and cause a nuisance
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    i think this is a good idea and drinking shouldn't really be allowed on any public transport

its there for the use of the public and its not fair on others if people are allowed to get blotto and cause a nuisance

and if they are blotto when they gety on ? people don't get drunk on the tube they get on it already drunk the fact that they may have a small portion of the evenings drink on them is neither here or there if they are cut already its not solved nothing !