Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tories to ban drinking on public transport

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    They can call the police if there's big groups or move in with several people if it's individuals...

The big big problem is the vast majority of the time if a member of staff calls the Police the chances of them responding within a reasonable time scale is very very slim......
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I doubt it will be widely ignored (the same prediction was made for seatbelts as well). But we'll see in four years and if it and other changes haven't made a difference Boris will be out.

the seatbelt one actually saved lives, i stil know of people who flout it though, like my mum even though we nag her

i get it from her i think :lol: strangely enough she's having a night out for the first time in years and is drunk in canary wharf, and will be coming home by night bus drunk

can i ask why you find people with a drink in their hands threatening on public transport? what about on the street? or railways where they sell it
  • Options
    the seatbelt one actually saved lives, i stil know of people who flout it though, like my mum even though we nag her

What's that got to do with the prediction it'll be widely ignored?

can i ask why you find people with a drink in their hands threatening on public transport? what about on the street? or railways where they sell it

I don't - but then as I've mentioned I'm not easily intimidated. But if I was I suspect because I can easily get out of a railway station - it's a bit more difficult if you're stuck between Finsbury Park and Seven Sisters with a drunk steadily pouring more alcohol down his neck and leering at your cleavage.
  • Options
    The main reason is if you are on National Rail you can more often than not simply move into another carriage, on the tube you can't.

At the moment an alcohol ban simply couldnt be implemented successful on the rail network as its an 'open' network, virtually every underground station is barriered which makes the scheme much easier to police.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    The main reason is if you are on National Rail you can more often than not simply move into another carriage, on the tube you can't.

At the moment an alcohol ban simply couldnt be implemented successful on the rail network as its an 'open' network, virtually every underground station is barriered which makes the scheme much easier to police.

i move carriages on the tube all the time :s saw some old ladies doing it the other day, and whilst the train is moving
  • Options
    i move carriages on the tube all the time :s saw some old ladies doing it the other day, and whilst the train is moving

Well if you fall between them and die, please don't do it when I'm trying to get home from work
  • Options
    Well if you fall between them and die, please don't do it when I'm trying to get home from work

well i just fail to see how some people being intimdated by someone drinking alcohol on a train warrants banning it :s when they'll be drunk people on the trains anyway still :s
  • Options
    Erm. Well as every line has only emergency doors between carriages so you'll be in bother with nothing to walk between.

Unless you of course mean hopping off and back on, risking being left behind....
  • Options
    well i just fail to see how some people being intimdated by someone drinking alcohol on a train warrants banning it :s when they'll be drunk people on the trains anyway still :s

Because it prevents people from carrying on with the drinking. A drunk person will either fall asleep or sober up. If they are given another drink they'll just get worse.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Because it prevents people from carrying on with the drinking. A drunk person will either fall asleep or sober up. If they are given another drink they'll just get worse.

all it'll do is the uk equilivent of brown paper bags in america
  • Options

That's the trouble with railstaff and police, when a drunk's lifting a bag and drinking it they never think to look inside.

TBH - I can imagine you in medieval times - 'this trial by jury will never work...' 'the only way you'll stop witchcraft is dunking them...' 'laws on murder - the barons will ignore them....'
  • Options

No, because I'd like to think if I saw someone drinking from a plastic bag i'd have the presence of mind to ask what it was.

All the government needs to do is designate the tube and mainlines as no drinking zones, the legislation is there and it is easy to do.
  • Options
    Here's a point, who wants to drink on a bus or tube anyway? :confused: I mean, the normal procedure is a warm up drink at home / local, trip into town, bar bar bar club, is it not? That's a whole different point I guess but I can't see the appeal :confused:
  • Options
    Quite a lot of people do, especially if they have to travel to go out. The number of bottles and cans that end up on some trains running into Leeds for example on a Friday & Saturday night has to be seen to believeable.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Here's a point, who wants to drink on a bus or tube anyway? :confused: I mean, the normal procedure is a warm up drink at home / local, trip into town, bar bar bar club, is it not? That's a whole different point I guess but I can't see the appeal :confused:

I don't think there necessarily needs to be an appeal. I have no desire myself to drink on the tube but I resent people telling me where I can drink if I'm not hurting anyone (with the possible exception of my liver, but that's neither here nor there.)

I mean, I may not see the appeal in people whacking balls about a green for a few hours (yes, golf) but I'm not going to tell people that they can't or shouldn't do it, despite the environmental damage they cause.

In other words, whilst there need to be certain laws to protect, politicians need to stop telling us what we can and cannot do!

xXx
  • Options
    I mean, I may not see the appeal in people whacking balls about a green for a few hours (yes, golf) but I'm not going to tell people that they can't or shouldn't do it, despite the environmental damage they cause.

How does golf cause environmental damage?
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    How does golf cause environmental damage?

Firstly because of the sheer amount of water they waste (even when there's a hosepipe ban they continue to sprinkler their pitches like there's no tomorrow as they are exempt from these restrictions.)

Secondly, the various chemicals used to maintain the courses have caused a fair bit of damage in the past. In 1984, on a private course in Hempstead, New York, an overapplication of the insecticide diazinon (which was banned from golf course use in 1990) killed at least 700 Atlantic brant geese. Outside Orlando, Florida, over a two-year period in the late 1980s, an elite country club dumped of gallons of nitrate-laden golf course runoff into one of the state's clearest lakes, leaving its sandy bottom covered with black muck.

Thirdly, golf courses destroy the natural habitats of many creatures :(

This is quite interesting, the bit on golf especially

http://www.peopleandplanet.net/doc.php?id=1114

Anyhoo, back to booze on trains:)

xXx
  • Options
    I see your point triggergirl, but if it was a private run venture I expect drinking on the tube would already be banned... like it is on buses or in taxis, surely?
  • Options
    Good point, but it's not. Then again, I don't think you should not be allowed to drink in these places either.

xXx
  • Options
    Good point, but it's not. Then again, I don't think you should not be allowed to drink in these places either.

xXx

If someone has a taxi they're well within their rights to ask you not to drink, I don't think your opinion comes into it.

The only difference with the tube is it's state run. The problems are still there - why would taxis or buses ban drinking unless it caused problems? Just because they felt like being mini hitlers?

I won't pretend to know the full scope of issues regarding drink just don't agree with the suggestion that this legislation only harms legitimate drinkers... what is a legitimate drinker anyway? Opening a 4 pack on a crowded tube train and sipping gently whilst discussing world affairs? :confused:

The whole debate is barmy, heh. The impact is pretty much minimal, I guess the reason people object is because they object to being told what to do. Just like people object to double yellow lines no doubt. It's a small legislative change and nothing more.
  • Options
    I guess the reason people object is because they object to being told what to do.

Got that right, or at least with regards to me. I feel no need to drink on the train but I don't mind if others do. If they're causing a nuisance chances are they're either arsey anyway or drunk before they got there. If they're going to ban drinking on the tube they ought to come down harder on the people that are causing offence because they had too much before they got on. You are right though, people don't like being told what to do, although I can understand why they do have to tell us sometimes.

I may decide to have my first tube-drinking experience once this is brought in just for the hell of it, hehe.

xXx
  • Options
    I see your point triggergirl, but if it was a private run venture I expect drinking on the tube would already be banned... like it is on buses or in taxis, surely?

that's only done to protect business, being public transport, they're traditionally seen as public areas plus fares...
  • Options
    If someone has a taxi they're well within their rights to ask you not to drink, I don't think your opinion comes into it.

The only difference with the tube is it's state run. The problems are still there - why would taxis or buses ban drinking unless it caused problems? Just because they felt like being mini hitlers?

I won't pretend to know the full scope of issues regarding drink just don't agree with the suggestion that this legislation only harms legitimate drinkers... what is a legitimate drinker anyway? Opening a 4 pack on a crowded tube train and sipping gently whilst discussing world affairs? :confused:

a few people can confirm i do this...
    The whole debate is barmy, heh. The impact is pretty much minimal, I guess the reason people object is because they object to being told what to do. Just like people object to double yellow lines no doubt. It's a small legislative change and nothing more.

a small legislative change that will do nothing more but make cleaners redundant really :p

what will it change in all honesty?

RE: flashman
    erm why would i object to trial by jury, it's the government that wants to remove that, not me.... you're the one wantign to use a hammer to crack a nut

i say a circle line drinks binge is in order :p
  • Options
    a
    RE: flashman
    erm why would i object to trial by jury, it's the government that wants to remove that, not me.... you're the one wantign to use a hammer to crack a nut

i say a circle line drinks binge is in order :p

Because you seem to struggle with the concept of any sort of change...

(and my point was about abolition of trial by jury, but implementing it and how given your arch reactionary views you'd have been against it and all the other changes I mentioned
  • Options
    Because you seem to struggle with the concept of any sort of change...

(and my point was about abolition of trial by jury, but implementing it and how given your arch reactionary views you'd have been against it and all the other changes I mentioned

there's all sorts of change's i'd welcome, some changes are pointless and they shouldn't just be done because it's a change

if it ain't broke don't fix it :thumb:
  • Options
    if it ain't broke don't fix it :thumb:

It is broke
  • Options
    It is broke

I agree, but is this the way to fix the problem? A ban with no extra enforcement is pointless.
  • Options
    It is broke

I'm broke.

But yes, I'd be up for a Circle Line binge drink...especially given that with any luck the 31st will be my last day at work :hyper:

xXx
  • Options
    It is broke

Only a little bit. A sledgehammer to crack a nut springs to mind.
  • Options
    Only a little bit. A sledgehammer to crack a nut springs to mind.

Hardly a sledgehammer - it's banning drinking on London public transport - not shutting down the pubs and imposing a ten o'clock curfew