Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Breaking the habit of a lifetime.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply. find something you don't like and everytime you suck your thumb thing of that or do that thing, and it might help....

i'm trying to do the reverse when i start feeling crap about myself.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply. find something you don't like and everytime you suck your thumb thing of that or do that thing, and it might help....

i'm trying to do the reverse when i start feeling crap about myself.
    haha! I got well confused about the quick reply element there!!

Franki I think we need to just chop them off :)
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    haha! I got well confused about the quick reply element there!!

Franki I think we need to just chop them off :)
    Noooooooo!!

T_T - That won't work BECAUSE I usually do it because I'm thinking of something bad :p.
  • Options
    That's a no to chilli powder then, yeah?
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Dip your finger in chilli powder.

Yer maybe cut up chillies or something and smother your thumb in the juice.
  • Options
    Hypnotism?
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    That's a no to chilli powder then, yeah?
    I'm a bit scared of doing that :p.

Hypnotism is a good idea although it costs money :/.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I'm a bit scared of doing that :p.

Hypnotism is a good idea although it costs money :/.

shop around. and think of it as an investment ;)
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey Franki,

I found this article which I think could help you. It's mainly for younger children but you might find it useful.

I think if you're really serious about stopping sucking your thumb you should speak to your dentist. They might have some good ideas!!!

:thumb:
  • Options

i can only really suggest will power. it will be hard but reward yourself when you go to suck your thumb and then don't.

I have to agree.
    My mom says I was born with my thumb in my mouth - on the ultrasound I was sucking my thumb, and as soon as I got out I started doing it.
    My parents tried everything as with you - gloves, socks, nail varnish, and I'd still find a way to continue.
    I had the BIGGEST gap between my lower teeth and upper teeth, even the dentists were astonished. And then when I was 9, I had an accident where my front tooth was ripped out and re-implanted. The dentists told me that if I wanted to keep my own tooth I HAD to stop sucking my thumb. And it worked. I haven't really done it since. Braces have done wonders to my teeth, and I love it when I know get compliments about my teeth, as I always think 'if they just knew'.
    That said, if I place my thumb in my mouth now, there's still a pocket which its fits in perfectly, and yes it is comforting - but its just not a habit I want to continue, so I don't.

I know it's easier said than done, but I know that the shock of losing my tooth was what pushed me to stop.
    Hope you find something to motivate you. Good luck.