Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Federal Reserve's rescue has failed

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not going to happen though.

Seriously think china will take all the food for themselves? there would be world war.

I don't think for a moment China would take all the food ...i do know they have the buying power ...at the moment to do so ...which is forcing world prices for everything ...through the roof.
    Invasion of by whom?
    The N v S of America i believe is some way off in the future.
    Bank profits mean very little mate when major banks start collapsing.
    Trouble with a lot of profit is it aint in tangible assets but in paper money or merely figures on a sheet.
    A lot of the paper money is becoming worth what exactly?

And if it's all so cool ...why are people scrambling for gold ...why are people ditching the dollar ...why are so many people refusing to be paid in Dollars?
  • Options
    Banks are going to start falling like nine pins ...if you have 47 minutes to spare watch this video posted by shimmer ...it\\\'s simplified for folk like me ...but a very good explanation on the production of money ...fantasy money that we all put so much faith in.

check it out ....http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9050474362583451279

Essential viewing, I would say.

Rumours currently abound about a Bank Holiday being declared, and you probably know the historical consequences of that.
  • Options
    oops lehman bros is down -20% in premarket this morning ain't counterparty exposure a bitch, oil and gold being sold off to meet margin calls and usd/jpy hit 95 overnight, looks like a few jitters out there after seeing the 5th largest investment bank rescued over the weekend for $2/share down from $120 only a few months ago...cascading bank failures anyone?
  • Options
    You lot make me laugh.

Anyone would think that the world is about to end.

It won't. Get some fucking perspective, it's not like the world hasn't been through a depression before...
  • Options
    You lot make me laugh.

Anyone would think that the world is about to end.

It won't. Get some fucking perspective, it's not like the world hasn't been through a depression before...

:lol:

I'm with you on this.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    :lol:

I'm with you on this.

Me too
  • Options
    mok i'm not saying the world's going to end i'm saying when the big banks start to fail it hurts a lot of people outside of finance....you openly accept we are heading for a depression so i guess we are in agreement, i just don't think it's anything to take lightly.

ETA: i would also beg to differ that we have ever been through a global depression that we are about to see, globalisation has it's upsides and we have all seen the wonderful benefits but i don't think we've ever seen the flipside.

oh and if you don't think we can have cascading bank failures then you obviously don't know much about derivatives and counterparty exposure. the big banks have huge leverage and the delta neutral hedging only works if your counterparty is solvent. in the case of bear sterns going bust that's $13T of derivatives with no protection so whoever's on the other side of that trade is fucked. from the price action today it looks like lehman, we'll find out soon enough but if they fail then whoever's on the other side of lehman's trade is unprotected......you get the picture?
  • Options
    I'd bet you all fifty quid that before the years out ...you'll be remembering this thread and not understanding how the likes of me saw something bigger than a recession ...but whats the point ...fifty quid will just about buy a loaf by xmas.
  • Options
    I'd bet you all fifty quid that before the years out ...you'll be remembering this thread and not understanding how the likes of me saw something bigger than a recession ...but whats the point ...fifty quid will just about buy a loaf by xmas.

I think the American economy's going to go tits up - and in a way not seen before in the U.S. However, I'm willing to place a £50 bet with you that bread won't cost £50 quid at Xmas. Seriously.
  • Options

But what a hollow victory. Because most of us realise that whatever happens, its inevitable whatever happens - just the same as if an asteroid was going to take out all life on the Earth. All we can do is work hard, enjoy life, try to build something up for ourselves to enjoy and get by. Whether or not we have bread queues is irrelevent - it will happen anyway if its going to happen.

People will still smile! People will still fall in love, have their hearts broken, go to comedy clubs - we may even see a resurgence of your much loved local music because the big music companies go bust. There is plenty of food for everyone - even if it has to be rationed - running out of food is not going to happen unless there is a major ecological disaster. Running out of energy - we're sitting on gas and coal stockpiles that will last us.

Even if it doesn't, and we start to starve, that's life. No preparations will save us. We must have blind faith that tomorrow, the world will still be here. That we'll even wake up in the morning.

Some things just aren't worth worrying about.
  • Options
    mok i'm not saying the world's going to end i'm saying when the big banks start to fail it hurts a lot of people outside of finance....you openly accept we are heading for a depression so i guess we are in agreement, i just don't think it's anything to take lightly.

Why should you take it anything other than lightly.

Seriously, what can you do to prevent it? na-da. Sweet fanny adams.

So why worry about it, either it will happen or it won't. Either way life will go on, just in a different way. Problem is that some people seem to have forgotten what is really important in life.

As an aside, predictions of financial collapse are the easiest to make. Eventually you will be right.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Whether or not we have bread queues is irrelevent - it will happen anyway if its going to happen.

Those queues have started in Egypt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7300899.stm

The modern day Pharoah has promised to eradicate the problem, so there is no need to panic. I am sure everyone is smiling now.
  • Options
    But what a hollow victory. Because most of us realise that whatever happens, its inevitable whatever happens - just the same as if an asteroid was going to take out all life on the Earth. All we can do is work hard, enjoy life, try to build something up for ourselves to enjoy and get by. Whether or not we have bread queues is irrelevent - it will happen anyway if its going to happen.

People will still smile! People will still fall in love, have their hearts broken, go to comedy clubs - we may even see a resurgence of your much loved local music because the big music companies go bust. There is plenty of food for everyone - even if it has to be rationed - running out of food is not going to happen unless there is a major ecological disaster. Running out of energy - we're sitting on gas and coal stockpiles that will last us.

Even if it doesn't, and we start to starve, that's life. No preparations will save us. We must have blind faith that tomorrow, the world will still be here. That we'll even wake up in the morning.

Some things just aren't worth worrying about.
    Massive food shortages have already started happening globaly.
  • Options
    Problem is that some people seem to have forgotten what is really important in life.

I agree.

But I would say that putting bread in the mouth of you and yours is important.
  • Options
    Indeed it is.

Which is partly why I never lived in a town but choose to live in the country. Where we grow such things.
  • Options
    Indeed it is.

Which is partly why I never lived in a town but choose to live in the country. Where we grow such things.

Nothing like a good bread tree, eh ;)
  • Options
    Why should you take it anything other than lightly.

Seriously, what can you do to prevent it? na-da. Sweet fanny adams.

So why worry about it, either it will happen or it won't. Either way life will go on, just in a different way. Problem is that some people seem to have forgotten what is really important in life.

As an aside, predictions of financial collapse are the easiest to make. Eventually you will be right.

i never said you could prevent it either, you definitely can prepare for it though.....and no i'm not talking about an sas survival book and a torch i'm talking about saving up some money and leaving the city/country. life will go on here it just won't be very pleasant, or shall i say even less pleasant lol. your welcome to stay and find out of course.
  • Options
    Nothing like a good bread tree, eh ;)

Ever heard of wheat... it's what bread is made from :p
  • Options
    i'm talking about saving up some money and leaving the city/country. life will go on here it just won't be very pleasant, or shall i say even less pleasant lol. your welcome to stay and find out of course.

1. If we are talking about a depression then hyper inflation will come into play making saved money irrelevant.

2. Leaving the country will make no difference because, as you say, globalisation means that it will affect ever nation.

3. Look at Africans. They seem to cope without all of the "luxuries" we seem to think are necessities. We really aren't the most advanced nations at all... just that we have more trinkets.
  • Options
    " . We really aren't the most advanced nations at all... just that we have more trinkets.
    Nowt like a good planet to be in touch with ...the soil the water ...the animals the plants ...the life and death of it all ...the seasons. That thing most city dwellers often refer to as ...'The Environment'. The environment ...by all means save it but i want as little of it as possible intruding into my reality.
    Sad innit.
  • Options
    hAVE THEY STARTED CHUCKING THEMSELVES FROM THE TOP FLOORS YET ...BANK SHARES FROM $158 SOLD TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER FOR TWO!
  • Options
    1. If we are talking about a depression then hyper inflation will come into play making saved money irrelevant.

wrong, depression and hyperinflation are not as synonymous as you might think.
    2. Leaving the country will make no difference because, as you say, globalisation means that it will affect ever nation.

true but there will be varying degrees of poverty, i'd rather have the financial freedom to be mobile enough to go live somewhere like canada, new zealand, norway, switzerland etc.....
    3. Look at Africans. They seem to cope without all of the "luxuries" we seem to think are necessities. We really aren't the most advanced nations at all... just that we have more trinkets

yeah and africans cope without food but i'm not sure i like that definition of coping. i'm not trying to hold onto all the luxuries i just want a simple life away from all the noise....
  • Options
    Banks are going to start falling like nine pins ...if you have 47 minutes to spare watch this video posted by shimmer ...it's simplified for folk like me ...but a very good explanation on the production of money ...fantasy money that we all put so much faith in.

check it out ....http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9050474362583451279
    I just watched it, it's really good, and disconcerting.