Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Federal Reserve's rescue has failed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/03/03/ccview103.xml

"There probably will be some bank failures," said Ben Bernanke

"I never thought I would see anything like this in my life," said James Steele, an HSBC economist in New York.

No sane mortal needs to know what term-auction means, except that it too became a tool of the US credit alchemists. Banks briefly used the market as laboratory for conjuring long-term loans at Alan Greenspan's giveaway short-term rates. It has come unstuck. Next in line is the $45trillion derivatives market for credit default swaps (CDS).

"For the first time since this Greek tragedy began, I am now really frightened." Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, International Business Editor

Get yourself a wheelbarrow, folks.

Comments

• Options
    Most people don't seem to understand just how serious a situation America is in ...and by default the rest of the western world ...oh it's just another recession. No it's not!
    There isn't even an industrial manufacturing base of any size that can be tinkered with ...on a global scale.
    This is truly unchartered waters especialy so as finance and production is taking place on a gloal scale elswhere ...never before has this happened.
    Chaos is just around the corner and yes ...i do believe rioting in the streets is just around the corner in the USA ...on a scale where law and order will totaly break down.
    I will say it again ...i predict that the USA will invade the South American continent full scale. Western Europe will move closer to Russia and the UK ...will be seriously alone.
  • Options
    Most people don't seem to understand just how serious a situation America is in ...and by default the rest of the western world ...oh it's just another recession. No it's not!
    I honestly don't know what we're heading into at the moment, but there is something odd in the air, (metaphorically speaking, of course) if you ask me. It's almost as if we're not being told the full story about the credit crunch from those in the know.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what we're heading into at the moment, but there is something odd in the air, (metaphorically speaking, of course) if you ask me. It's almost as if we're not being told the full story about the credit crunch from those in the know.
    To add to the problems the biggest wheat producing nations have all recently announced that they are halting all exports of grain as they need it themselves ...so on top of the problems that most people seem barely aware of ...there is also a huge food problem right now.
    Bad harvests this year on a major scale in any one of these countries could tip some nations ...rich nations ...into rationing.
    But ...i will be accused of being a doom merchant ...i'm prepared to a better degree than most of you though.
  • Options
    But ...i will be accused of being a doom merchant ...

You are though. The U.S. is not going to invade South America, don't be daft.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    You are though. The U.S. is not going to invade South America, don't be daft.

Explain whats daft about it please.
  • Options
    The USA has been taken over by crooks ...crooks who got it badly wrong but have made a mint and are probably packing their bags right now!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

The nation states of the US, the UK and several european countries are broke. Flat, stony broke.

The banking systems, which rely on fractional reserve or basle 2 are insolvent. As most people know, the banks don't have everyones money for everyone who has deposited with them at all times. Now, too many people have withdrawn their cash and are leaving it out of the banking system and so the banks are broke. The cycle of cash that allows them to operate has stopped.*

However, unlike when a normal business goes broke, these businesses can go to the government, who will fire up the printing presses, resulting in enormous amounts of inflation, and worse (as Moroocan Roll mentions) foreign investors stop taking dollars and pounds as payment because they are reducing in value every day.

Whereas before our relatively strong currencies could buy food and energy overseas and import it, or in the Yanks case, just print dollars and get oil more or less for free, now the rest of the world is turning away from the dollar, pound et al and is moving to gold, silver and other hard assets.

It's a spiral either way. One way, all bills are technically paid, but the currency is toilet paper, the other way no bills get paid and all industry ceases.

It's unbelievably serious.

*A bank lends you £10,000, you spend it in Dave's shop, Dave puts it back in the bank that night for safekeeping. The bank lends the same £10,000 to someone else, who gives it to Harry, who puts it back into the bank the following night. The bank is now owed £20,000 + high interest and owes £20,000 + low interest. It can do this with no problems over and over again until one night the person who gets the £10,000 doesn't return it to the banks, and then the fraud is up because they cannot pay Dave, or Harry or anyone else.
  • Options
    Ah well, all I can do is carry on with my degree. If world war 3 comes nothing I can do will change it or not :). It's not ignorance, it's just acceptance of inevitability. Personally, I think we'll all cope one way or another. Even if there is a global depression - people got through the last one. As I've said before though, farms are still producing food, people are still getting skills to enable them to do all sorts of jobs all over the world. We've still got horses and carts, or biofuels, or hell even manual labour. We'll survive.

Maybe it's less of a depression, and more the coming of the end of the golden age of oil, where everything was incredibly cheap - you could fly around the world on a shoe string budget, throw away products made from oil to be buried under the ground. Consumerism at it's worst.

I don't know though. I'm still sceptical about the doomsayers. I guess there were people who thought WW1 could never happen though. And shimmer, I understand the idea of banks lending money they don't have, but I don't think we're at the point of complete collapse. A market correction has been due for a long time. Until we see it pan out we don't know exactly what will happen, or how significant the effects will be. It's all guesswork.
  • Options
    [SIZE="4"farms are still producing food, people are still getting skills to enable them to do all sorts of jobs all over the world. We've still got horses and carts, or biofuels, or hell even manual labour. We'll survive.

_____________________________________________0__________________________________________________________________________________ [/COLOR]][/SIZE]How many cart horses have we got and how many will it tke to supply London with its needs? Food supply is in a very dangerous position at the moment as is water ...in America!
    Check out this link and a million others about food supply ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/dec/04/china.business

On top of this ...every commodity you can think of is now in short supply ...steel copper water food ...bio fuel has already caused riots in Mexico ...pasta protest marches in Italy ...a bazillion other people are now outbidding the west for everything we need.
    This is NOT ...just another recesion or depression ...it is unique ...the world has never been here before.
    No one has a clue how to rebuild the American economy under these new conditions.

sorry about the colour editing ...it all went wrong!
  • Options
    sorry about the colour editing ...it all went wrong!

Lol np ;)

Even if it is the beginning of the end MR, what else can I do? :) I'm just gonna enjoy things while the lights are still on and I can still get a rare steak and chips with a beer cooked for me for an hours worth of work. I don't think I'm being dramatic in saying that the further you go back, the less affordable these kind of things were - to the extent that families had to share what little meat they could get hold of.

Heck, that's why they have so much rice in China, because they never had enough meat. It was used for flavour, and the rice was bulk to try and get nutrition into them. So personally I feel like we've got it pretty good, and even if things get pretty shit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqC--LNwaIU

I got life! :razz:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Lol np ;)

I'm just gonna enjoy things while the lights are still on and I can still get a rare steak and chips with a beer cooked for me for an hours worth of work. I got life! :razz:
    Indeedy ...eat drink and be merry ...for tommorow we may die!
  • Options
    the telegraph has some good articles on this but the author still thinks everything can be solved by more rate cuts, which is evidently wrong....the CDS derivatives market is only the beginning, hedge funds like peleton with crazy leverage are being found out and it's a matter of time before more of these funds have to firesale assets to meet margin calls, when that happens we get to find out what all these level 3 assets are really worth and the IBs like GS, MER, BSC etc are going to get pounded. i still think we break the january lows in the stockmarket in the next few weeks and the central banks are running out of ways to hold this thing up.
  • Options
  • Options
    Do some googling on the ...Amero. The new currency for America Canada and Mexico. No more dollar by design.
    The North American Union. The president himself has talked about the new world order
  • Options
    Just be thankful you live on an island. When World War 3 comes we can recall the troops, close the borders, hunker down and wait.

We need to become a lot more self-sufficient in energy e.t.c. before that happens though.
  • Options
    MR; do you mind explaining both how and why the US would invade and take all of South America. Granted there are some useful raw materials there (oil, copper etc) but they just plain dont have the troop numbers or the ability to do it.
  • Options
    Bear in mind that those lectures were held by people in the gold business. It's in their interest to paint the worst possible picture of the American economy and the dollar. I'd buy some gold, but one coin costs $1000. :(
  • Options
    To add to the problems the biggest wheat producing nations have all recently announced that they are halting all exports of grain as they need it themselves ...so on top of the problems that most people seem barely aware of ...there is also a huge food problem right now.
    Bad harvests this year on a major scale in any one of these countries could tip some nations ...rich nations ...into rationing.
    But ...i will be accused of being a doom merchant ...i'm prepared to a better degree than most of you though.

The crisis in Cameroon might have generated few headlines abroad, but the violence shows how soaring oil and food prices on global markets are threatening the patronage systems propping up some of Africa’s longest-serving leaders.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fbe9870a-e975-11dc-8365-0000779fd2ac.html

:shocking:
  • Options
    Do some googling on the ...Amero. The new currency for America Canada and Mexico. No more dollar by design.
    The North American Union. The president himself has talked about the new world order

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amero
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    MR; do you mind explaining both how and why the US would invade and take all of South America. Granted there are some useful raw materials there (oil, copper etc) but they just plain dont have the troop numbers or the ability to do it.
    I believe America will withdraw from the global scene as its economy collpases. I think it has troops and equipment in over 300 countries at the moment. I believe it can achieve its aims economic ly and militarily ..
    it wouldn't have to invade every country on the continent ...maybe three.
    The rest would then have no choice but obey..
    If that is ...the comiung presidential elections aren't stopped due to a terror attack either on AMERICAN SOIL ...OR AGAINST ITS WARSHIPS IN THE GULF ...THEN WE HAVE A DIFFERENT SCENArio altogether.
    A false flag terrorist event is a big possibility cos i cannot see this lot giving up power easily or willingly seeing as they have declared war for a generation or a hundrd years even, and are the architects of the pnac agenda and the new world order ...which would require some kind of continuity.
    Sounds crazy ...i agree.
  • Options
    There is no PNAC agenda anymore, they've even shut down their website, they're finished.

And you still havent given any decent reason as to why they would invade South America.
  • Options
    There is no PNAC agenda anymore, they've even shut down their website, they're finished.

And you still havent given any decent reason as to why they would invade South America.

If they jhave to retreat from the global scene ...what other options do they have for wealth creation?
    Closing down the PNAC website means nothing ...the people behind it all have put years and dollars into their dream.
  • Options
    If they jhave to retreat from the global scene ...what other options do they have for wealth creation?
    Closing down the PNAC website means nothing ...the people behind it all have put years and dollars into their dream.

Nobodies power lasts forever, even the Republican party is turning their back on them, McCain is not a PNAC member, which is one of the reasons why he wasnt picked when Bush was.
  • Options
    I wouldn't take Ambrose Evans-Pritchard seriously - for those who don't know he believes Bill and Hilary Clinton conspired to murder their staff, for fear they were about to rat on Bill's various infedelities and that the Oaklahoma Bombing was an FBI sting operation.

He's as loopy as a fruitcake...
  • Options

They've already started. ;) We all know who really runs Colombia.

Seriously though, according to the video Rolly posted, China have just signed a 25 year oil agreement with Venezuela. I can't see America taking them on any time soon, when they would no doubt be backed up by the new superpower.
  • Options
    They've already started. ;) We all know who really runs Colombia.

Seriously though, according to the video Rolly posted, China have just signed a 25 year oil agreement with Venezuela. I can't see America taking them on any time soon, when they would no doubt be backed up by the new superpower.

I can't see America taking them on any time soon, but it's nothing to do with china (which is little more than a regional power and arguably less so than Japan) and more to do with Chavez being all mouth and no trousers and the US being committed to two medium size conflicts already
  • Options

Absolutely no country can afford to piss off China these days, their economic power is now above what it first appears. If they cut off cheap imports we would have rampant inflation overnight.
  • Options
    Absolutely no country can afford to piss off China these days, their economic power is now above what it first appears. If they cut off cheap imports we would have rampant inflation overnight.

Don't they pretty much own significant amounts of the US debt, if so what happens if they demand their money back?
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Don't they pretty much own significant amounts of the US debt, if so what happens if they demand their money back?

It would be a bit like nuclear war - you may wreck the other guy, but you're not going to be in any better shape yourself.