Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I've just been flashed

2»

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ack, better not. It's not worth getting banned over.
    Yeah.

To the OP, I'm glad you have decided to report it - hopefully it can be stopped from doing it again.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be fair, the balance of a debate is always a difficult one. Certainly two wrongs don't make a right but I was trying to deal with the insult from the first page (I hadn't seen the rest). If I'd seen all the posts my comments would have reflected everyone's posts rather than directed solely at JsT - however the main point still stands, we can find ways to discuss a disagreeable point of view without insults, on any side.
  • Options
    don't worry about the police. they are searching for me already as it is.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Even if all he did was have "things" visible, I totally agree he might be dangerous and that you should report it, ASAP. Especially if he was "playing" as well.

But quite honestly, I can't imagine why someone would be traumatised by just seeing someone's parts...
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    No it hasn't bothered me at all! But I did think he could do it again to someone younger as there are always loads of teenage girls hanging around here. It was just a bit random as he looked young about early 20's.
    He didn't like jump out infront of me with a mac on flashing. He was at the entrance of a alley way and basically had his pants round his ankles and his cock in his hand playing with himself. It wasn't as if he was having a piss against the wall as he was in the middle of the alley.
    I'm not going to phone but I will go into the station. I would know him if I saw him again but couldn't describe him.
    When I had crossed the road I turned back and he was walking really fast down the street then started running off, so was acting odd all round :nervous:

Definitely report it. I'm sorry it happened to you, there are some strange folk around.

When I was still at school I had two experiences a bit like this - one with a flasher in a park near my secondary school and another time a guy wanking himself off on the back of the bus home from school (!). I didn't report either of them because I was so repulsed and frightened, but over the months and years I would go on to read stories about girls being flashed, about a man/men exposing themselves to passing cars (what an area!) and a woman walking her dog was attacked in the same park I was flashed at in. I felt really bad about not having reported it, I still do feel guilty and angry with myself for just letting it slide both times, I just didn't have the courage and I thought it didn't really matter. Didn't have the life experience to know what was the right reaction.

It's a real shock when it happens, and it isn't actually all that rare as it's happened to a lot of the females I know (including my mother - three times, and though that is spanning 40+ years it's still unfathomable). It may not seem worth reporting it as an isolated case but - as others have said before me - it's unlikely NOT to be an isolated case. He may have done it before or he may do it again... he may never repeat the offence and then he won't get penalised for it. But chances are he will, and your description will help in his identification and - hopefully - his punishment. Reporting it is the right thing to do.
  • Options
    Even if all he did was have "things" visible, I totally agree he might be dangerous and that you should report it, ASAP. Especially if he was "playing" as well.

But quite honestly, I can't imagine why someone would be traumatised by just seeing someone's parts...

Lol god no I'm not traumatised by it BUT I can see why people can be especailly if it was someone younger.

Being a student nurse you get used to being flashed at on the wards by patients suffering from mental health problems.

It's just right to let the police know I guess and also like someone else said it could lead to someone else. If they get confidence to do this then what else could they do next.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Especially as he could do it to a kid next time.

That's it innit, I met a Scottish girl in Thailand who got flashed when she was like 9 and she was really scared of boys for ages apparantly. Then her and a friend walked past a guy wanking in a bush when they were 15, the saw the same guy wanking in the same bush the next week. lol Must be something about Scotland...
  • Options
    Lol god no I'm not traumatised by it BUT I can see why people can be especailly if it was someone younger.

Being a student nurse you get used to being flashed at on the wards by patients suffering from mental health problems.

It's just right to let the police know I guess and also like someone else said it could lead to someone else. If they get confidence to do this then what else could they do next.

The article I linked up to indicates people may expose themselves for several reasons, usually they will run away if confronted or anything, but it did point out the risk as some are doing it as a sign of sexual aggression and so it should be considered a risk and hence reported.

I think if it had been me before looking that article up I would have laughed (apparently that's the reaction of about 1 in 5!) and thought nothing more of it.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Definitely report it. I'm sorry it happened to you, there are some strange folk around.

When I was still at school I had two experiences a bit like this - one with a flasher in a park near my secondary school and another time a guy wanking himself off on the back of the bus home from school (!).

the bus thing happened to me too! i cant believe how many girls i know that its actually happened too, its disgusting. the guy was sat right behind me too i felt so sick :|
  • Options
    the bus thing happened to me too! i cant believe how many girls i know that its actually happened too, its disgusting. the guy was sat right behind me too i felt so sick :|

I know this obviously happens, but I just can't for the life of me imagine it...I mean, it just seems so surreal!! Who jacks off in a bus full of people??!! :eek2:
  • Options
    When I've been flashed at in the past, and the same with my friends, they've always been masturbating at the same time. I went to an all girls school which was like a magnet for flashers as it had a woods and a grave yard just nearby that lots of girls would go through on the way home. We were told to tell the police everytime as then they can warn others and they also told us that it usually escalades into worse behaviour. I've never reported it though but I think it's the "right" thing to do.
  • Options
    there was a flasher round our end when i was a child and he looked like Jimmy Saville, the police but a thing in the paper urging people to report every incident, it happened loads, so obviously its useful to them. just because you havent heard of it, doesnt mean its not someone who's doing it more often or even worse things.

take some hedgetrimmers next time and give him what for.
  • Options
    When I was about 10, I was walking along the road with a friend and in conversation so we hardly noticed a guy, sat on a motorbike, but as we went past, he said 'Hello, do you ever do this?" - and he was having a wank! :shocking: We ran off but I didn't say anything.

About a week later, I saw him again outside our school as the children were leaving, so I told a teacher who got the cops after him.

If I had said something sooner, he may have been arrested before getting as far being a menace at the school.
  • Options
    Oh there are lots of good people. But they are always overlooked.
  • Options
    Worth remembering you're on a website full of young people giving up their own time to give help and support to other young people on a website - want to see some good in the world, take a look around :)
  • Options
    Sorry, it was me. :angel:
    Omgosh. Come and do it by me! ;)

Report it, he may have done it before.
  • Options
    Well all reported to the police.

Though I was speaking to my mum and sister and my sister has been flashed 13 times!! Thats shocking :eek2:

There are some reet weirdo's out there :nervous:. It has made me bit more wary about like walking home after a night out on my own.
  • Options
    ... my mum and sister and my sister has been flashed 13 times!!

Unlucky for some.

:p Seriously though, twice in my lifetime was enough for me. Thirteen times sounds like there are too many sick f*cks on the streets.
  • Options
    and my sister has been flashed 13 times!!

her own boyfriend does not count! :lol:
  • Options
    report it-he could be getting himself ready for worse offences.
  • Options
    Well all reported to the police.

Well done :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    :confused:

if you feel concerned about it report it to your local plod or whatever.

but if it's a one off I would be tempted just to write it off. maybe thats me though who doesn't see the offensive side of someones willy.

But it's not just about seeing someone's willy is it.

It happened to me a couple of years ago. I arrived at a bus stop and a man was stood there with his penis out, holding it and saying rude things. Everyone just stood there pretending not to see, even a woman with a child. Yet as soon as I saw I shouted that I was gona call the police, and then the man ran off. My phone call to the police was followed up with an official statement. Then two days later the police came back and said they wanted me to identify the man in a line up because they think this same man had gone on to sexually assault a young girl on a bus.

So even if you aren't offended by that, you should definitely report it because these flashers definitely can go onto do worse things.
  • Options
    I think I read that the man who murdered Sally Anne Bowman had convictions for flashing amongst other things.

I think you did the right thing phoning the police.