Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Calling London natives

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Ah you mean that ambiguous, sometimes posh, but often just dull part? ;)

Yeah, the place where you don't get shot, stabbed, mugged, raped or murdered on a daily basis :)

And how can you call West London boring? Last week's WI bake sale was a hoot!

And there are Scientologists to taunt on Putney High St.

Oh and if it's Thai you're after, the Blue Elephant just outside Fulham Broadway is the place to go.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Yeah, the place where you don't get shot, stabbed, mugged, raped or murdered on a daily basis :)

And how can you call West London boring? Last week's WI bake sale was a hoot!

And there are Scientologists to taunt on Putney High St.

:lol:

I'll tell you what I do like in West London - Pizza@home on Old Brompton Rd - really yummy big stone baked pizzas all £5 regardless of toppings. It's a bit scummy inside but mega friendly, the old bloke in there is a good laugh and has been known to give free coffee to people waiting for large takeaway orders. :thumb:
  • Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, get an oyster card there - NEVER pay cash fares, they are put up massively to make sure we get as much money as possible from tourists. The cards are really easy to get (from any tube station) and will save you a fortune.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned it

We were waiting for you budda :)
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    We were waiting for you budda :)

I cant be expected to be an expert on everything and offer advice to everyone.
  • Options
    budda that's a really good point, we're leaving soon and I would've forgotten our Oyster cards if you hadn't mentioned that! I try to avoid the tube as much as possible but we do use the buses sometimes so yes... necessary! The difference in Oyster/non-Oyster fares is incredible.

Thai restaurant recommendations are duly noted :thumb:
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    budda that's a really good point,

You say that as though you're surprised; surely its obvious I will make a really good point.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    You say that as though you're surprised; surely its obvious I will make a really good point.

:lol: I apologise unreservedly!

Unexpected highlight of London thus far was meeting the lovely **Helen** in the pub. It's a small world :D

Low point - made the mistake of climbing the stairs at Covent Garden tube and still haven't recovered. Suppose the sign is there for a reason, really....
  • Options
    Any sign of a visit to St Reatham? ;)
  • Options
    Low point - made the mistake of climbing the stairs at Covent Garden tube and still haven't recovered. Suppose the sign is there for a reason, really....

I did that last time I was in London as well. I took a good 15 mins to recover.
  • Options

Unexpected highlight of London thus far was meeting the lovely **Helen** in the pub. It's a small world :D

:D I still can't get over it to be honest, so unexpected!
  • Options
    The difference in Oyster/non-Oyster fares is incredible.
    Absolutely. I remember when I went to see my brother last October I had to pay over 4 pounds for one single fare from the train station to Euston. I well choked when I saw the price, especially as I thought that was what every single tube ride would cost me! :lol:
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    Absolutely. I remember when I went to see my brother last October I had to pay over 4 pounds for one single fare from the train station to Euston. I well choked when I saw the price, especially as I thought that was what every single tube ride would cost me! :lol:

Travelcards are much cheaper thasn paying for singles. I got an all zone one (I think) for £4.60.
  • Options
    If you hold a Young Person's Railcard you can now have that discount applied to your Oyster Card so it is cheaper for 1 day travelcards.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    If you hold a Young Person's Railcard you can now have that discount applied to your Oyster Card so it is cheaper for 1 day travelcards.
    Yes indeed, applies to Disabled, HM Forces, Senior and Young Persons Railcards.

The caps are:
    Z1-2 £3.10
    Z1-4 £3.50
    Z1-6 £4.20
    Z1-9 £5.00
    Z2-6 £2.80
    Z2-9 £3.00
  • Options
    :lol: I apologise unreservedly!

Oh god we climbed them at Russell Square - NEVER AGAIN! :lol:
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »

Ah yes but then someone gave us free travel cards on that monday so that was all good :D
    (we must do it again, it has been aaaages now! when Abbie can bring her latest as well :yes:)
  • Options
    Ah yes but then someone gave us free travel cards on that monday so that was all good :D
    Yeah, that was really lucky indeed! :D
    (we must do it again, it has been aaaages now! when Abbie can bring her latest as well :yes:)
    :yes:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    How young do you have to be to hold this Railcard? (*is expecting to be way past the age frame anyway*)
  • Options
    <26 years