Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Calling London natives

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
... or anyone else who knows the big smoke well.

We're off there next week for around ten days, both to have a little break/sort out some official stuff and look after my niece as her new brother/sister should've been born and lots of babysitting will probably be necessary. There are six of us going (me, fella, babies and my parents) so it's going to be a really nice opportunity to spend time together.

Anyway, it's ages since I've been down in London with lots of time to spare, so I'd like to see some interesting places and do some interesting things. Both indoor and outdoor, and both things that are kid-friendly and things that we can do in the evenings or during the days when we might have some time without the kids.

I am interested in everything, I'd like to try and pack in as much as possible really. We'll be based in Bethnal Green but obviously I will be tearing all over the city like a wild animal unleashed ;) :thumb:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ohh well i'm sure you know there is the museum of childhood in bethnal green.

Plus if you swing past the site towers i could meet you for sneeky coffee (i dont' work thier just at the other end of the road)

Or thier is greenwich - which ok i'm totally biased about

Or there are a couple of city farms (there is one in rotherhythe) and the zoo - plus there are also boat trips on the canal or river.

You could go for afternoon tea and one of the markets - borough is good.

i'm sure there are about 3 billion other places i just need to think of them
    cliche but trafalger's square..especially if it's a nice day

also i think it is st james' park that is quite beautiful to walk in
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    briggi wrote: »
    We'll be based in Bethnal Green but obviously I will be tearing all over the city like a wild animal unleashed ;) :thumb:

Oooh great location :) - will come back with some ideas shortly...
    I always post this link whenever someone says they are visiting London: www.walkit.com is a really great website for planning how to get about on foot, it gives really clear mapping and directions and tells you how many calories you burn and how much carbon dioxide you avoid. So many of the attractions are walking distance apart, it's well worth checking out.

Have great fun in London!
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I always post this link whenever someone says they are visiting London: www.walkit.com is a really great website for planning how to get about on foot, it gives really clear mapping and directions and tells you how many calories you burn and how much carbon dioxide you avoid. So many of the attractions are walking distance apart, it's well worth checking out.

Have great fun in London!

:thumb: tis great!

As I said you're in a great location briggi - you've got Brick Lane and Spitalfields really close by.

Children friendly stuff - you can't beat the museums to be honest, oh and the Tate Modern. I went to the Science Museum the day after my birthday this year and being a big kid at heart headed straight to the Launch Pad - it was so much fun and we got to make videos, fly rockets and all sorts of stuff. Best bit - it's free. :hyper:

Natural History Museum is also a winner and the building itself is stunning.
    My nephew really enjoys London Zoo and The London Aquarium - but both can be quite tiring if you're not equally excited about them in my opinion.
    There's also this going on at the Museum of Childhood, that might be worth a look.

As for evenings, I guess it's hard to say without knowing what kind of thing you're after, but I go to quite a few different types of places so could probably help you out if needed! Also, any types of restaurants you specifically like?
    Oh yeah, also nice to head to borough market.

I should probably do some real work now ;)
    I forgot about the city farms. I'm sure there's one (Hackney?) a stone's throw from my brother's house. It's really nice, too, if I remember rightly. That's a really good idea, anyway!

Thanks for that info about the Museum of Childhood, it might go over their heads a little (a lot :lol:) but I'd be interested in seeing it. It's five minutes away, too, which is a bonus.

I will of course be going to Brick Lane to gorge myself on curries and bagels :D I've never made it to Spitalfields though so that is a definite.

I'm not sure what we'll be up to doing in the evenings.

Definitely eating out and probably drinking in some nice pubs (difficult to find in London, I obviously just don't know where to look), was thinking about a show but nobody else is keen :grump: though I would go alone if there's anything really unmissable on. As for food, I'm a veggie and nobody else is so I'm really into middle and far eastern cuisine because that's where I find the most interesting meat-free stuff round here. However I realise that London has a far bigger range of restaurants, I wouldn't mind trying some unusual fare since it's usually Italian, Chinese or Spanish here. Half my family members work at Moro so my head would be on the block for treason if I ventured anywhere else similar but I do love the food there. Mmmm! I'll try anything basically, we're very adventurous so any and all food recommendations are welcomed as I'm a piggy.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, really appreciated! Wyetry we should definitely have a coffee, maybe I will descend on thesite HQ ;) Also, what's so special about Greenwich? I mean, what is there to do there... or why is it so special?
    I like Greenwich, especially if it's a nice day. Greenwich feels quite like a village a million miles away from the bust capital, nice shops and a chilled out atmosphere along the river.

I like Little Venice and also Canary Wharf is definitely worth a visit.

I would also recommend (only in summer) a river boat trip down the Thames.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, really appreciated! Wyetry we should definitely have a coffee, maybe I will descend on thesite HQ ;) Also, what's so special about Greenwich? I mean, what is there to do there... or why is it so special?

I'm looking for an excuse to go to the museum and childhood as well - i think it might be more interesting if your an adult than a child.

Greenwich is lovely - its right on the river and has loads of old buildings - you can get there on the riverboat and have a lovely day out. There is the national maritime muesum which is free - the queens house which is where i got married which is also free - the painted hall - which is also free. The park which is very lovely and has amazing views over london 0hhh and the royal observatory (which you might have guessed it by now is free). There are also deer in the park and a lovely rose garden bit. There is a reasonably big market which in serveral locations and a bit touristy but still really cool - loads of yummy restaurants - an excellent cinima and lots of lovely pubs along the river - the oldest of which is the trafalgar. There is also a foot tunnel under the river thames (though maybe better for when the kids are a little older) a museum of fans and the rangers house which is a stately home kind of a thing.

ohhh and donkeys on the heath and rowing boats in the park in the pond and all sorts of other lovely stuff - i can't remember it all off the top of my head but i'm sure it mostly involves food.

PM me re coffeeeeeeee
    greenwich market on sundays is nice, as is natural history/science museums, tate modern, london aquarium is good for the kids and adults (and you can get cheaper rate with oyster cards me thinks), if your in bethnal green, victoria park is near, and thats quite nice. spitalfields market is great, as is portabello
    i love covent garden!
    I like wandering round the Portobello Road area just people watching.

I live close by there and do exactly the same thing :)
    And there is a great pub around Covent Garden called the Porterhouse with a fab beer menu.

Ah yes, I love the beers in there.
    Another nice pub - The Island Queen
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I went to the Science Museum the day after my birthday this year and being a big kid at heart headed straight to the Launch Pad - it was so much fun and we got to make videos, fly rockets and all sorts of stuff. Best bit - it's free. :hyper:

In October, I came up to London and a friend of mine asked me what I wanted to do and I said the science museum. (he was working so I had to entertain myself for a few hours) Instead of giving me directions for that, he gave me directions for the zoo.:lol:

www.timeout.com/london has a list of things to do, with listing by location, attraction and tube station.
    Ah yes, I love the beers in there.

It's good - but is a nightmare to try finding your friends in when it's packed :lol: Soooo many different levels!
    g_angel wrote: »
    It's good - but is a nightmare to try finding your friends in when it's packed :lol: Soooo many different levels!

I agree - especially on Friday nights.
    Cheers everyone, that's a lot to consider. Will definitely use that walking site too, Randomgirl, so thanks... I hate the tube :(

We are going to both of those pubs - I have decided. I'd like to take my parents somewhere nice for dinner as well one night, possibly somewhere Thai or Vietnamese but I am open to suggestions :flirt:
    Oooh great location :) - will come back with some ideas shortly...

You're surely joking. Bethnal Green is a proper toilet. I certainly did not feel safe there.

Though I second the sentiments about Spitalfields and Brick Lane. Curry = yum.
    Bethnal Green is a proper toilet. I certainly did not feel safe there.

What kind of wuss are you? :p
    possibly somewhere Thai or Vietnamese but I am open to suggestions :flirt:

Actually - I'm looking for recommendations of a Thai place myself.

Places I would recommend otherwise are:

Turkish - Sarastro on drury lane (Nr Covent Garden)
    Or Gallipoli on Upper Street (Angel)

Mediterranen - Mem & Laz in Angel

Morrocan - The Souk Medina (Nr Covent Garden) is tasty food and fun - has belly dancers and stuff.

ETA: And there's always this :lol:
    I think Bethnal Green is a really cool area, actually. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this, but I've walked round there alone at night many a time and never felt fearful. I suppose it depends on what you're used to...?

Plus, all my brother's neighbours are spot on and I know he'd sooner live in the east end than any other part of London. I have to defend it because from what I've seen there's rarely any trouble and it is just a fantastically interesting and diverse area. If it was unsafe he wouldn't be raising his kids there, that's for sure :thumb:
    What kind of wuss are you? :p

A wuss who lives in West London (aka the nice part of London):p
    A wuss who lives in West London (aka the nice part of London):p

Ah you mean that ambiguous, sometimes posh, but often just dull part? ;)
    Actually - I'm looking for recommendations of a Thai place myself.

Places I would recommend otherwise are:
    My favourite Thai restaurant is Silks and Spice in Camden on the Chalk Farm. I love it, really fresh food and yummy puddings like cheesecake and also a great cocktail menu. That said when I did an online search for it there are a few bad reviews of it but I've never had a bad meal there.
    My favourite Thai restaurant is Silks and Spice in Camden on the Chalk Farm. I love it, really fresh food and yummy puddings like cheesecake and also a great cocktail menu. That said when I did an online search for it there are a few bad reviews of it but I've never had a bad meal there.
    Can you send me directions to that?

I might make Rich take me there one day :p.

Sound lush - all the places I've recommended seem to have a few bad reviews too - can't please everyone! :)
    Also in Camden for cheap but very good Thai food is the Old Eagle on Royal College St just north of Camden Rd station. So good and lots of tofu.