Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

PC gone mad?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote: »
    He was allegedly born on the Feast of Tabernacles - which is around September.
    Great. So, looking at all these different theories, we need to celebrate Christmas sometime between March and December. How's about August 12th next year?
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Except most carols, and the nativity, and even presents
    Maybe... But then the whole of the Bible has allegedly been ripped off from older religions.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    It really does not remove the fact though that Christmas today is a Christian celebration, whatever its roots.

Well I could quite easily argue that today Christmas is a secular argument whatever its roots, using exactly the same argument you've used to dismiss the pagan roots. Okay, so most people don't celebrate the pagan elements any more, but then most people don't celebrate the christian elements either. So if we go on modern celebrations, it's a predominantly secular festival, and if we go on history, it's a mish-mash of various religious and secular traditions from various historical periods. By no definition is it exclusively Christian.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Great. So, looking at all these different theories, we need to celebrate Christmas sometime between March and December. How's about August 12th next year?

Suits me! :) Its warmer!
  • Options
    Maybe... But then the whole of the Bible has allegedly been ripped off from older religions.

Who alleges it? Examples? Links please. :)
  • Options
    Well I could quite easily argue that today Christmas is a secular argument whatever its roots, using exactly the same argument you've used to dismiss the pagan roots. Okay, so most people don't celebrate the pagan elements any more, but then most people don't celebrate the christian elements either. So if we go on modern celebrations, it's a predominantly secular festival, and if we go on history, it's a mish-mash of various religious and secular traditions from various historical periods. By no definition is it exclusively Christian.
    You have a point... Things are always modified when it suits people and current trends...

But I still don't understand how it works with atheism, or exactly what you'd be celebrating then? :confused:
  • Options
    Who alleges it? Examples? Links please. :)
    Book examples? Or internet resources? Or examples in the UK (e.g. architectural)?

There are quite a few books out there which talk about how Christianity has borrowed almost entirely from Pagan religions (most have talked about Hellenic, some Roman, some even about Kemetic Paganism... Although both have a reat deal in common).

You can look at a lot of things, including Pagan symbols being adopted by Christianity, arguably Jesus was an amalgamation of several characters in Pagan mythology (for example, virgin births, miracles, have even heard the term "lamb of God" to have Sumerian roots before Christ), the concept of hell, the eternal soul... Not entirely sure about angels either.

What I mean to say is that Christianity... Just like most other religions are likely to be is a group of borrowed ideas, recycled from other Pagan belief systems.

Click

Click

There's loads of stuff out there.
  • Options
    You have a point... Things are always modified when it suits people and current trends...

But I still don't understand how it works with atheism, or exactly what you'd be celebrating then? :confused:

i dont believe in any god or anything, still a chance to spend time with family, surely the most important thing :)

it's a national holiday with religious roots, people in other countries celebrate xmas in different days also - don't stop it being a cultural holiday, and not just in a material sense, which i don't tend to subscribe to
  • Options
    i dont believe in any god or anything, still a chance to spend time with family, surely the most important thing :)

it's a national holiday with religious roots, people in other countries celebrate xmas in different days also - don't stop it being a cultural holiday, and not just in a material sense, which i don't tend to subscribe to

Hit the nail on the head there. Also in other cultures they will have national holidays for religious reasons - you don't have to be of that religion to have the day off!

I think it's such a killjoy spirit to call people enjoying christmas hipocrits because they're not Christian! The meaning behind it is to eat, drink, be merry and spend time with your family. If you don't enjoy such things then rather than say 'But you're not Christian!', go eat humbug pie or something :razz:
  • Options
    weren't hell and the eternal soul zoroastrian ideas?
  • Options
    lol if you stripped Christmas of all its Pagan elements, there'd be nothing left!
    You're sending out kind of a mixed message, here...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think it's such a killjoy spirit to call people enjoying christmas hipocrits because they're not Christian! The meaning behind it is to eat, drink, be merry and spend time with your family. If you don't enjoy such things then rather than say 'But you're not Christian!', go eat humbug pie or something :razz:
    I disagree and see it as a Christian celebration, whatever excuse you make.

It's not really being a killjoy, it's just like with a fair few other people out there, I see Christmas as a capitalist bastardisation of religion. You don't have to go with the flow if it doesn't suit you.
  • Options
    But you are saying that you shouldn't be celebrating it if you are not christian, and yet you say christmas as it is celebrated has nothing to do with christianity. So by the reasoning then no one should :p
  • Options
    But you are saying that you shouldn't be celebrating it if you are not christian, and yet you say christmas as it is celebrated has nothing to do with christianity. So by the reasoning then no one should :p
    Nope.

Christianity is a religion.

Christianity is arguably a religion whose story is simply borrowed from earlier Pagan religions... Or at least elements are borrowed, for example, the virgin birth.

This does not mean that Christianity is not a religion. It does not mean that it is a Pagan religion either, but it has borrowed/stolen from Paganism.

Either way, Christmas is still a Christian celebration.

Did anybody watch that program on Christmas day about Christ and how different religions have similarities?
  • Options
    Book examples? Or internet resources? Or examples in the UK (e.g. architectural)?

There are quite a few books out there which talk about how Christianity has borrowed almost entirely from Pagan religions (most have talked about Hellenic, some Roman, some even about Kemetic Paganism... Although both have a reat deal in common).

You can look at a lot of things, including Pagan symbols being adopted by Christianity, arguably Jesus was an amalgamation of several characters in Pagan mythology (for example, virgin births, miracles, have even heard the term "lamb of God" to have Sumerian roots before Christ), the concept of hell, the eternal soul... Not entirely sure about angels either.

What I mean to say is that Christianity... Just like most other religions are likely to be is a group of borrowed ideas, recycled from other Pagan belief systems.

Click

Click

There's loads of stuff out there.

Ah, ok, but you said the Bible - not Christianity. Yes, I would agree with you that much Christian 'doctrine' has been influenced by paganism etc. :)
  • Options
    Ah, ok, but you said the Bible - not Christianity. Yes, I would agree with you that much Christian 'doctrine' has been influenced by paganism etc. :)
    Well Christianity follows the Bible.

Did ya watch the program last night? It was really interesting. :)
  • Options
    Well Christianity follows the Bible.

Did ya watch the program last night? It was really interesting. :)

Religious Christianity follows doctrines that are usually not found in the Bible so they are not strictly the same. Christmas, Easter, the status of Mary in the RCC etc are doctrines not based on any biblical scripture.

And yes, I did see it. Very interesting. :) I have seen a few of his programs.
  • Options
    Thing is, it is one thing to go PC over something. But who the fuck has ever expressed dislike over the usage of the word christmas in the first place?
    I really do refuse to believe that someone would ever complain to a card company for having too many christmas cards.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Thing is, it is one thing to go PC over something. But who the fuck has ever expressed dislike over the usage of the word christmas in the first place?
    I really do refuse to believe that someone would ever complain to a card company for having too many christmas cards.

I don't think anyone has complained, but it's part of the split-personality of christmas. On the one hand, it's got a christian meaning behind it. On the other hand, it's a national holiday that's celebrated by practically everyone whether they're christian or not (i.e. my mate at primary school was hindu and had a mini christmas, but then again I had a mini diwali, multi-culture pressies ftw).

Maybe some people came up with the idea of making it sound slightly more secular so that people who weren't strictly christian didn't have to feel phoney about enjoying the hols :). Afterall, as has been mentioned it came from the pagans anyway, why should christians have a monopoly on it.

In fact, IIRC the only friends I've had who didn't celebrate christmas were Jewish and Jehova's Witnesses. The latter didn't even celebrate birthdays. I think a lot of the time parents did it for the kids, since it was a thing at school and everyone else was getting presents they might not have wanted them to feel left out.

Certainly I love christmas because it's the one time of the year everyone gets a few days off to wind down and so you can see family from up and down the country. As soon as the summer holidays hit you can bet everyones disappeared to portugal or spain or france for the next 12 weeks. And easter is normally too busy to get anything done.
  • Options

Presents, food, family - same as most christians.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Certainly I love christmas because it's the one time of the year everyone gets a few days off to wind down...
    Everyone gets a few days off? You might want to say that to my mum, and see how she reacts. She happens to have been working over Christmas at the old folks home. And what about the other people who've worked over Crimbo? Did you visit any shops on Boxing Day - notice that staff have turned up for duty? Perhaps you visited a hospital - again, staff would have been present. The truth is, more and more people are working over the Christmas period than ever.

Stories appear in the media before Christmas about how everyone seems to be away for two weeks. According to one headline in the Daily Mail last week, the business world would "shut down for 16 days". Apparently, people would be finishing work on Friday, December 21st, and not returning until Monday, January 7th. If only that were true! The only people who are away for anywhere near that long would be office workers, and they're probably due back next Wednesday.

In any case, isn't your argument a bit hypocritical, given you're a university student? Let's face it, you lot are off most of the time as it is. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Everyone gets a few days off? You might want to say that to my mum, and see how she reacts. She happens to have been working over Christmas at the old folks home. And what about the other people who've worked over Crimbo? Did you visit any shops on Boxing Day - notice that staff have turned up for duty? Perhaps you visited a hospital - again, staff would have been present. The truth is, more and more people are working over the Christmas period than ever.

Stories appear in the media before Christmas about how everyone seems to be away for two weeks. According to one headline in the Daily Mail last week, the business world would "shut down for 16 days". Apparently, people would be finishing work on Friday, December 21st, and not returning until Monday, January 7th. If only that were true! The only people who are away for anywhere near that long would be office workers, and they're probably due back next Wednesday.

In any case, isn't your argument a bit hypocritical, given you're a university student? Let's face it, you lot are off most of the time as it is. :p

You are going off on a complete tangent here. Most people get some sort of time off over christmas.

Shyboy, I very much doubt that the terms holiday and seasonal greetings are used to soothe peoples guilt of double standards. I think most people have made their peace with the fact that it is nice to gather with family, eat good food and get pissed - its a tradition rather than a religious holiday for most people.
    Even many Jews, whilst not celebrating christmas as such eat traditional christmas food together (minus the pork for the majority, and without a tree and exchange of gifts) as a way of taking advantage of the opportunity and kind of a way of being in tune with the rest of society. That said, the celebration as such isn't needed. As there are a million Jewish prominent holidays. Too many, at times.
  • Options
    I don't think non-Christians need to feel 'guilty' about celebrating Christmas because even if you don't subscribe to the whole religious connotations of Christmas, the central message of peace, love and goodwill to all people is agreeable to almost everyone and anyone. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago, I read about how Richard Dawkins describes himself as a 'cultural Christian' and enjoys singing Christmas carols. :)
  • Options
    I don't think non-Christians need to feel 'guilty' about celebrating Christmas because even if you don't subscribe to the whole religious connotations of Christmas, the central message of peace, love and goodwill to all people is agreeable to almost everyone and anyone. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago, I read about how Richard Dawkins describes himself as a 'cultural Christian' and enjoys singing Christmas carols. :)

Agreed.

Christmas these days really has fuck all to do with Christianity.
  • Options
    Can't see what the problem is. If he wants to send a seasons greeting rather than a christmas one what's the harm?
  • Options
    You would think that Christians would want non-believers to subscribe to the concept of peace, love and goodwill even if it is for a limited period of time wouldn't you? :confused:
  • Options
    Christianity is arguably a religion whose story is simply borrowed from earlier Pagan religions... Or at least elements are borrowed, for example, the virgin birth.

Hehe, Christopher Hitchens fills half a page of his book naming the various virgin births that happened before Jesus. Quite funny really. He points out that religions like to think of the birth canal as a one way street. :p But yeah, most religions are a plagiarism of ideas from previous ones. There was a brilliant series of documentaries called the Power Of Myth by Joseph Campbell where he goes into the various typical story types that you find in all religions, as well as Hollywood movies incidentally.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    You would think that Christians would want non-believers to subscribe to the concept of peace, love and goodwill even if it is for a limited period of time wouldn't you? :confused:

:yes:
  • Options
    I went to midnight mass, sang my heart out in the carols and got blessed too! I don't feel guilty about it at all, and don't even see what's to feel guilty about.
  • Options
    Hehe, Christopher Hitchens fills half a page of his book naming the various virgin births that happened before Jesus. Quite funny really. He points out that religions like to think of the birth canal as a one way street. :p But yeah, most religions are a plagiarism of ideas from previous ones. There was a brilliant series of documentaries called the Power Of Myth by Joseph Campbell where he goes into the various typical story types that you find in all religions, as well as Hollywood movies incidentally.
    Yes, it's hard to write a book that hasn't been done before.