Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's your BMI Number?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    considering i'm the only one thats overweight thats prepared to post their BMI:

though cosidering my waist/hip measurments it doesn't make much sense...
  • Options
    I would, but don't know how much I weigh.

I reckon it's around 28 though.
  • Options
    Wow what a lot of body threads there are this morning.

I have an enormous BMI, am far too fat and overweight. Let me waddle back over to the other one and post the same thing in there too...

There is. And its that time of year when you're supposed to put on pounds and pounds and pounds (and love it) with all the food!
    anybody else surprised there wasn't a wikipedia link in there too?;)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    considering i'm the only one thats overweight thats prepared to post their BMI:

I'll match you.

There ya go :p
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    i got 26.something. in the overweight range. however, i think if you took off my boobs which must weigh a stone each, i'd be fine. i think i might go check that now actually...
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    21.32 :( Mmmm. Want to be 20!

See the problem is people worry about whether they're 'too fat' - but take into account things like the amount of muscle you have!

These are to be used as a very broad guide to whether you're in the 'healthy' range or whether it would be worth looking at ways to increase your nutrient intake if you're below it, or trying to lose some weight if you're above as it *could* put you at risk.

But as said, it's a very broad guide - only used because it's hard for people to look at themselves and judge whether they have a healthy weight or not because we're all quite subjective about our bodies.

I mean, you could be 'under a healthy weight' - which may well be a fine body weight, but you'd see it as below average and it'd make you feel good about yourself - (as it did someone else) - which seems to defeat the entire point of these.

They are broad markers, nothing more, to whether you're relatively healthy or relatively unhealthy. I just played with it tbh. My BMI has gone from 15 to 22 and I'm no fatter than before, it's just male hormones have made me fill out my chest a bit more.
  • Options
    Two pics for you all

bmi-comparison.gif

bmi.jpg
  • Options
    im 32 so aparently im obese but its not really that great a guide for women with big tits.....and my doctor definatly uses it he wont check to see if your actually ill unless your in the normal range if you arent he jus tells you to go away and loose weight...
  • Options
    mines about 23-5ft 10 and 11st 6
  • Options
    Sopycookie wrote: »
    im 32 so aparently im obese but its not really that great a guide for women with big tits.....and my doctor definatly uses it he wont check to see if your actually ill unless your in the normal range if you arent he jus tells you to go away and loose weight...

That's really quite bad. If he suggests that you can say you disagree with his assesment, and say you don't believe your symptoms are weight related.

Yea, it's nowhere near a perfect guide, it's simply a standard way of 'generally' assessing whether you're a healthy weight for your height - but there are so many variables it can often do more harm than good, especially when taken out of context. I.e. someone might have a BMI of 40 but it turns out they're a boxer who has a vigorous health regime. (But would probably do well getting hit on the head a little less :p)
  • Options
    22.82. This is basing it on the assumption that I am no more than 12st. Not having any scales makes it a bit hard.

I wanna lose a couple stone though, which would make me 19.02, which is still healthy :yes:.
  • Options
    20.9 according to the BMI machine at the gym, but I'm loosing weight so hopefully it will go down!
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    BMI is about as precise a tool as using boxing gloves to do surgery is - have a look here. My BMI is around 19.1.

Moxie is morbidly obese :(

http://flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/1459475944/in/set-72157602199008819/

eta: though on a serious note, how come on every pic of 'morbidly obese' people did people feel compelled to tell them how beautiful they looked? I mean sure in a lot of cases it wasn't accurate - but there was more than one where they could certainly do with losing weight healthwise. People can't face up to problems I feel.
  • Options
    24.54 6'3 and 14st

Lol at Shyboy
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    That's nothing to be happy about tbh :no:

Mine was 20.46

thats true
  • Options
    anyone know a good weight and height converter for those of us not still living in the 1800s?! feet and stone honestly!!!
  • Options
    5"2
    8st

• Options
    I'm roughly 6'4 and 29.38.

I'm funny, so I don't have to be thin.
  • Options
    I'm 17.5 something.

Skinny lad :thumb:
  • Options
    phoenix24 wrote: »
    anyone know a good weight and height converter for those of us not still living in the 1800s?! feet and stone honestly!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/bmimetric_index.shtml
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I'm 17.5 something.

Skinny lad :thumb:

It's a great BMi to have ;) We are BMI twins!
  • Options
    I'm roughly 6'4 and 29.38.

I'm funny, so I don't have to be thin.

lol
  • Options
    Apparently I'm obese.

And just for a laugh I put the figures in when people were concerned about my weight and thought I was too thin. Oh, I was obese then too.

Now I know I eat too many pies, but I ain't that fucking big.

What a load of shite.
  • Options

5'8" and 9 stone.
  • Options

Not bad :D
  • Options
    mine changed to 16.5 yesterday. im 5'6 and 7st4.

oh yeah, i also got referred to an eating disorders service.

Im glad most people who have replied to this thread havent taken the numbers to seriously
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    mine changed to 16.5 yesterday. im 5'6 and 7st4.

oh yeah, i also got referred to an eating disorders service.

Im glad most people who have replied to this thread havent taken the numbers to seriously

Just as long as people are happy and helthly who cares??
  • Options

5"3 9st