Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tragus piercing!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    A BCR looks like this and is probably the best thing to get put in it as it's easy to clean it. You could also get a bar put in it but if you're happy with a hoop then go for that option.

Oh yeah I see what you mean - For some reason I was picturing a stud with a flat end rather than a butterfly back -

Probably will go for BCR -
    Going in later -
    Cheers! :)
  • Options
    hiya x

i wanted to ask anyone who has a tragus piercing if it hurts loads?

also is it easy to hide, because my parents hate the idea of me piercing anything except two holes in my ear lobe !! :mad: i am over the age of 16 so its not illegal or anything lol!!

thanks

rachel xx
  • Options
    This thread is dead... too old... start a new thread... :)
  • Options
    OMG, So old. Time flies, eh?! hehe
  • Options
    Not only old but the pain subject was already discussed in this thread :rolleyes:
  • Options
    hiya x

i wanted to ask anyone who has a tragus piercing if it hurts loads?

also is it easy to hide, because my parents hate the idea of me piercing anything except two holes in my ear lobe !! :mad: i am over the age of 16 so its not illegal or anything lol!!

thanks

rachel xx
    Haha, a thread I posted in 2 years ago.

And, no, tragus' aren't easy to hide - they're on the side of your face!!! :rolleyes:

Ilora x
  • Options
    hey

hey i had mine done about a week ago now it and it was done witha gun and i have a stud in it but not a stud u'd put in your 1st its thiner and shorter but has no back it only hurt slightly for the day and it hardly hurts now unless i sleep on. the only prombel is it keeps cumin out and so i brought sum earings but the one i brought was the one were u have to screw a ball on both ends and it was to shrt and the other one was one of the ones with the flat backs wich i think are normally used for chin pircings but i cant get that one in because it has to go in from the back help :s
  • Options
    OK, I know this is a really old thread, but I can't resist piercing questions.
    First of all, you shouldn't have been pierced with a gun, especially not on cartilage. I know it's too late now as you've had it done but in the future make sure you get pierced using a needle. Guns can't be sterilised because they have plastic parts and so you run the risk of coming into contact with other people's germs and blood. Also, the studs are blunt and force their way through tissue causing damage and scar tissue and they're not made of appropriate material. Guns are known for spreading infection and causing shattered cartilage and most people who use them have no training.
    Right, rant over. I borrowed that information from a website - www.bodyjewelleryshop.com - which has a really useful forum section where you can ask questions about piercings and make sure you're in the know before getting one done.
    As for the jewellery, I would recommend going to a reputable piercer and asking them to fit you with a suitable piece of jewellery in your tragus, ideally made of titanium, bioplast or PTFE as these all reduce irritation and promote healing. Try not to fiddle with it and touch it yourself as you will just increase the chance of irritation and infection by transferring germs from your fingers. You should also be cleaning it regularly, preferably with a sea salt soak - 1 quarter of a teaspoon of sea salt in a cup of boiled water left to cool.
    Seriously though I'd recommend checking the site I mentioned above, there's loads of good advice there and plenty of experienced "piercees" who will help you out.
  • Options
    Okay, at the time of this post, I am 28 hours into having gotten both my traguses pierced. I've wanted them done for about 4 years now. I was in sports year-round during high school so I had to wait. Then I went through a phase of not really being sure. But, I did it and I am soooo happy. They look really cute. I also like that only 1 other friend has a tragus piercing. First things first, cost. To get both of mine done was $75, including both the earrings. I live in Nebraska. A little expensive, yes, but the guy is really reputable and does great work. Whoever said you must get a ring is a liar. I have little itty-bitty stud-like earrings. They are a bit hard to describe but I will try. Basically on the outer tragus it looks just like a stud would. On the inside it looks like a dull-ended fish hook, with the curved part resting in my ear, and the straight part attached to the earing and then going through the cartilage. Hope that makes sense. I have no idea really why this is, but I assume it's for healing purposes. Second, the pain. For me, they were mildly painful. I heard no crunching or popping, however. I mean, of course there will be some sound, it is right by your ear canal after all. I'd equate the pain with getting pierced by a gun, only it lasts longer. Instead of a quick pinch, it's like a pinch with some pressure that lasts for 3-5 seconds. Actually, the tugging the piercer did to my traguses was worse than actually shoving the needle through. And yes, you should never be getting this type of piercing with a gun. My piercer also used a bit of a topical anesthetic which helped. There was very little blood, but there was some. :) The whole process from choosing the earrings to paying took exactly half an hour. The after pain isn't really that bad. For a couple of hours afterwords it did feel like not only my ears hurt, but my jaw as well. I took one Aleve and that minimized the pain. Smiling hurt for a couple of hours, but nothing unbearable. I actually slept on one during the night and didn't wake up at from pain. It bled slightly during the night, but very very little. It hasn't bled since. Under the advice of the piercer (and sound advice at that) I'm cleaning them twice a day with a soap, distillied water, and sea salt mix. The sea salt (which is iodine free) helps bring oxygen to the area which promotes healing. Yay! If you want to know the ratio, it's 1 gallon distilled water to 1 tablespoon sea salt and 1 tablespoon gentle soap like Satin or Provon. You just soak your ear in that without twisting the earring. If you want you can alternatively soak a cottonball in the mixture and leave that on your ear for 10 minutes, 2 times a day. It is not recommended to use it more often than 2 times a day. After the soak, rinse with water. When cleaning it for the inside (with twisting of the earring) just use diluted soap and rinse. That's about it. The piercer said it would take at least 2 months to heal so until then, I'm just searching for the right earrings to put in later! All-in-all though, I am really glad I got it done. I think they are super cute, it's what *I* wanted, and if you don't like it, you can always take it out. Hope this helped!
  • Options
    i really want my tragus peirced! everyone i tell thinks that it's not a nice peircing but i can't understand. I'm not too bothered if the pain is that bad, it looks pretty!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i had mine done 2 months ago and it was fine just felt like a dull pressure and ic ould sleep on it the same night no problem.
  • Options
    yeah mine hurt so bad...and it took FOREVER to heal..i wanted to get my other one done, but i dont think i could handle it
  • Options
    I just got my tragus pierced yesterday
    i really didnt hurt me
    like at all
    it hurt more when the ring was being put in
    its yet to hurt still
    it feels good
    ive been cleaning it LOTS tho
    antibacterial soap and water and sea salts work quite nicely

the sound it makes while piercing is the worst part
    no joke
  • Options
    I always find having the jewelery inserted hurts much mire then the actual peircing itself.

Just dont clean your pericing more then once a day otherwise it can get irratated/infected.
  • Options
    I have to agree. Not too long ago I had a <2 week old piercing changed, now that hurt more than any piercing.
  • Options
    i loved my tragus piercing.. but it migrated.. and now have bum-like tragus. yay!
  • Options
    had mine done more than 2 years and i jave to say its the best piercing i have ever had!!! its also been then one ive had least problems with lol but was definately the most painful OUCH! it was the first one i had done with a needle i honestly thought i would never walk back into a piercing parlour again! lol (i definately did)