Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tragus piercing!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know I could have put this in the already-existent 'pierced' thread but I'm greedy and want one all to myself. I've just had my tragus pierced and I'm on a total high. I love it! I'll take a picture when my battery's charged up on my camera.

It really does hurt though, quite a lot. It's like having earache and jaw ache at the same time. Ow.

Anyone else got theirs done? How painful did you find it?

Comments

• Options
    Had mine done about 2 months now. It hurt like a bitch on heat, but now, it's fine and gorgeous. I expected the pain - A mate of mine had hers done a couple of yrs ago, and informed me on the pain aspect. Didn't stop me though!

I love it to bits... :D

Ilora x
  • Options
    oooch, i couldn't get that done. :o
  • Options
    Mine *really* didn't hurt. Maybe i've just got a high pain threshold?
  • Options
    i've had mine for almost a year now. and surprisingly it didn't hurt one bit. in fact, i thought the tounge (which everybody says is the least painfull piercing) hurt a fuckofalot more than this. but mine got infected really easily. and watch out. i've known a few people who have had their tragus piercing ripped out and that is not a plesent feeling from what i've heard.
  • Options
    I would love to get mine done, but always wondered whether I'd suit it or not :confused:

How much does it cost? And how long does it take to heal before you can start changing your earing?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    I would love to get mine done, but always wondered whether I'd suit it or not :confused:

How much does it cost? And how long does it take to heal before you can start changing your earing?

well mine was $50, so just the average piercing price. and i'm sure it will not suit you. its just an ear piercing so its hard for it to look bad. And also i think it was about 4-6 weeks of healing time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    ...and i'm sure it will not suit you.

Cheers :(
  • Options

haha, that's what i thought - but i don't think she meant that!

i reckon she would've said "I'm sure it won't suit you". or something.
  • Options

oops :blush: i meant i'm sure it will suit you :blush:
  • Options
    Thank God for that :p

Think, I might get it done - though dreading the pain :(
  • Options
    if you can stand a loud crunching sound its not painfull at all really.
  • Options
    Cartillage piercings take much longer to heal than the normal 4-6 weeks. Some tragus's take up to 5 months to heal. It's all relative to the individual. But, I wouldn't say 4-6 weeks for a tragus.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Mine only cost £15, and it was a pretty reputable piercist's. Would have been £20 if I'd got it done with a bar but I preferred the ring. I didn't get the loud crunching sound or the 'popping' sound i've heard so much about, but I was so nervous I didn't really notice anything else. The actual piercing wasn't too painful but it was pretty sore afterwards and knocking it hurts like hell. But I don't regret it one bit. The pain is nothing compared to how much I love it already! I think it looks great.

Cruel2BKind, if u want it done then go for it! I'm sure you won't regret it. I know I keep saying how much it hurts but of course it hurts a bit and really it's not that big a deal if it's something u want done anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Cartillage piercings take much longer to heal than the normal 4-6 weeks. Some tragus's take up to 5 months to heal. It's all relative to the individual. But, I wouldn't say 4-6 weeks for a tragus.

Ilora x

Yeah it's more like 2-3 months.
  • Options

Ilora x

really? mine was nastily infected but even with that it was gone and healed completly in 7 weeks.
  • Options
    Yeah, a few months is more like it...

A piercing can look healed on the outside, but still be 'wet' and fresh on the inside. I'd say after 2 months, then it'll be fully healed *depending on how you care for it* but they can be buggers...

I didn't get the noise either, I think that's just a common misconception... I don't think it actually does 'pop' or 'crunch'!

I didn't have to pay for mine, because my piercer is a good mate of mine, and does all my piercings for free, but they normally charge £25 for the initial piercing, and any downgrades/aftercare is free...

Ilora x
  • Options
    damn... maybe theres something wrong with my ear :(

whats a downgrade of a piercing?
  • Options

Ilora x
    I had the cartilage at the top of my ear pierced and it seemed to have healed within 3-4 weeks.
  • Options
    damn... maybe theres something wrong with my ear :(

whats a downgrade of a piercing?
    Going back to the piercers to get the size of the jewellery changed - with tongue piercings you must go back after a few days for the jewellery to be downgraded in size as the large bars are used in case of swelling.... etc

A downgrade is also know when a stretching tears or end up in blowout, and a downgrade of jewellery is required to aid healing.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Mine *so* didn't take a couple of months to heal. And it cost £8.
  • Options
    ^^With a gun or a needle and a bcr or barbell?

Ilora x
  • Options
    My boyfriend has his tragus done, and whenever I move it it makes his face feel funny down one side, apparently. It's cute though :) I'd like mine done, with a hoop like his, but my dad would kill me. He gets really freaked out just at the thought of it.
  • Options
    ^^With a gun or a needle and a bcr or barbell?

Ilora x

It was done with a gun, which on reflection, was perhaps a bad idea, but it hasn't grown any keloid scarring and it didn't shatter the cartilige, so it's fine. Plus they gave me a ring to put in it :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    It was done with a gun, which on reflection, was perhaps a bad idea, but it hasn't grown any keloid scarring and it didn't shatter the cartilige, so it's fine. Plus they gave me a ring to put in it :)

Ouch! A tragus piercing with a gun sounds soooo painful.

Mine seems to be settling in nicely - had a bit of blood and nasty crusty stuff around it (which you all wanted to know I'm sure) and it still hurts quite a lot to clean it, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was. Plus I managed to sleep on it for the first time last night without waking up in agony!

I just want to know where I can get pierced next. I'm itching for another belly button piercing now... god it's addictive!
  • Options
    I think there's definitely a way to get round the sleeping on it issue! I find that if I put the ball of the bcr nearer the inside my ear, it doesn't press against the cartillage, making it comfy to sleep on!!!

Ilora x
  • Options
    Didn't want to start new thread as this is already here -

I'm going in tomorrow with my friend to get mine pierced, so long as it doesn't cost too much though was wondering do you get options in what you can put in, e.g. hoop or stud, etc.

Any help would be great cheers -
  • Options
    You cannot wear a 'stud' in a tragus piercing. Mainly because studs are not made to the correct length to accomodate swelling - resulting in the butterfly or back of stud being shoved into the hole and sometimes skin growing over the butterfly.

Tragus piercings should ALWAYS be pierced with a needle, not a gun. Therefore, the easiest jewellery would be a BCR - Ball closure ring - easy with cleaning etc..

Any more questions, feel free to pm me, email me or leave q's in here :)

Ilora x
  • Options
    Well that's kinda what I mean't by the stud just didn't know what you called that :p

So I wouldn't have the option to get a hoop? :confused:
  • Options
    A BCR looks like this and is probably the best thing to get put in it as it's easy to clean it. You could also get a bar put in it but if you're happy with a hoop then go for that option.
  • Options
    if you can stand a loud crunching sound its not painfull at all really.

eek! that sounds, horrible! :yuck: :nervous: