Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scottish independence

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    As I've said though, is it legitimate?

It is if Parliament say's it is. They'd have to pass a law first, but there's nothing to stop them doing that.
  • Options
    As I've said though, is it legitimate?

Yes, it is legitimate if you look at the past of English imperialism.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Yes, it is legitimate if you look at the past of English imperialism.

I'm not aware of any countries being given their independence because the inhabitants voted so?
  • Options
    I'm not aware of any countries being given their independence because the inhabitants voted so?

Er...what? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_independence_referendum%2C_2006

Just last year.
  • Options
    Never noticed that to be honest. Does the same apply to the UK then?
  • Options
  • Options
    I've got much more in common with someone in Edinburgh than I do with someone in London. Edinburgh is an hour away, London is at least 3 and a half.

Who said anything about distance?
  • Options
    Scotland could probably do fairly well as an independent nation, especially taking into account our oil supplies, but there is no serious force in politics actually suggesting real independence - only a split from the UK, to jump into in the arms of the European Union instead.

And that ain't independence.
  • Options
  • Options
    Physically and culturally I am nearer Scotland than London. Even my dialect is more similar.

So that makes you Scottish then?

Straying from the actual discussion here, what we're debating is whether Scotland has legitimate grounds for independence and it does. End of story.
  • Options
    cricket sucks
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't think it does stray too far from the discussion actually. The kingdom of Northumbria used to stretch all the way up from the Humber to Edinburgh.

Why shouldn't Yorkshire, or Northumberland receive independence? Why should Scotland? What does someone from Glasgow have in common with someone from the Hebrides?

I see where you're coming from, but Yorkshire e.t.c aren't currently countries, whether they used to be kingdoms in the past or not.... Scotland however is.

Scotland should be allowed independance if the majority of the Scottish people want it. The same goes for Wales. I'm not sure how well either of these countries would do on their own, but that's not England's problem...if they want independance then give it to them.

I think Northern Ireland should be united with the Republic of Ireland aswell.
  • Options
    No reason why Yorkshire couldn't call for indpendence if the majority wanted it. however as there seems to be next to no-one suggesting it should be the point is theoretical.

On the other hand in Scotland there are numbers of people calling for independence....
  • Options
    Why shouldn't Yorkshire, or Northumberland receive independence? Why should Scotland? What does someone from Glasgow have in common with someone from the Hebrides?

Again I refer to the historical background.

Where's the history of the nation of Yorkshire or Northumberland? There isn't. There is with Scotland, like Wales and Northern Ireland they're ultimately governed by England. Lets face it, although all 4 have representatives in Parliament, it's England who has the ultimate say in matters.

All 4 countries should gain independence. That's my point, I really don't know why you're all bringing in these trivial 'points of debate'.