Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Train company working on their public image

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If train companies wish to connect with the humanity and rationality of commuters.

Humanity and rationality of commuters!!!! You've obviously never travelled on the Victoria Line at rush hour ;)
  • Options
    The thing that makes me laugh is that when someone sits in the chewing gum or dogshit left by someone else, they always blame the TOC.

And when the TOC try and enforce the laws protecting their property, they're the bad guys too.

Court was ridiculous if she wasn't asked politely once, but to be honest I don't actually believe her story, and nor do many railway staff that I speak to. She sounds like the sort of person who demands everyone to kiss her feet just because she did a bit of work with disabled kids. Woop-de-doo.

There's no point chucking her off the train at the final stop, either.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Court was ridiculous if she wasn't asked politely once, but to be honest I don't actually believe her story, and nor do many railway staff that I speak to. She sounds like the sort of person who demands everyone to kiss her feet just because she did a bit of work with disabled kids. Woop-de-doo.
    Really? I don't have any reason to believe she did not remove her feet once asked. Not even the TOC is pretending otherwise anyway. Nice to see you don't let your pre-formed opinions of people cloud your judgements anyway ;)

If only the law was applied as rigurously to the TOCs and railtrack maintenance contractors as is applied to those evil, reckless career criminal passengers eh...
  • Options
    Maybe I'll put a sign on my door saying that salesmen will be punched in the face, and see how far that gets me in court.

hahahaha :D

uhhh i put my feet up sometimes, usually coming back from somewhere at night and i'm knackered. it really doesn't deserve this sort of punishment, if she had been rude and cocky and causing a public nuisance than fair enough but she put her feet down straight away and was polite about it.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Really? I don't have any reason to believe she did not remove her feet once asked.

Clearly chose to ignore the automated announcements regarding feet on seats though.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Clearly chose to ignore the automated announcements regarding feet on seats though.

You are making it sound like she is responsible for crimes against humanity. All the girl did was put her feet on the seat for a bit. The train company completely over reacted. I'll put my feet up if get a chance because the chairs aren't exactly comfortable to sit up in. I will dust down the seat when i get off. No one is exactly effected by such actions.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    You are making it sound like she is responsible for crimes against humanity. All the girl did was put her feet on the seat for a bit. The train company completely over reacted. I'll put my feet up if get a chance because the chairs aren't exactly comfortable to sit up in. I will dust down the seat when i get off. No one is exactly effected by such actions.

I never denied that taking her to court was an overreaction, however allowing such things as putting feet on the seats should go unpunished.

In fact over 200 cases have already been seen in court and aside from this one ALL have been found guilty. And there is still 700 cases pending.
  • Options
    If only the law was applied as rigurously to the TOCs and railtrack maintenance contractors as is applied to those evil, reckless career criminal passengers eh...

:confused:

I shan't even bother asking if you know what the fuck you're talking about, because you clearly don't. Especially as the contractor responsible for Shap has been on police bail since the accident...

I find it telling that those of us who know about the railways, and have friends who work on the railways, think that this woman should have been punished. Certainly the staff I've talked to think she should have had some punishment for her anti-social and selfish behaviour. They should have slapped an ASBO on her.

Putting feet on seats causes huge damage to the seats, and that's something that has to be paid for by other passengers.
  • Options
    Throw the book at her I say. She was wearing flip-flops
  • Options
    Throw the book at her I say. She was wearing flip-flops

:lol:

that should be a crime in itself
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    :confused:

I shan't even bother asking if you know what the fuck you're talking about, because you clearly don't. Especially as the contractor responsible for Shap has been on police bail since the accident...
    Wow. That's good. Now if only we could have those responsible for Potters Bar or Hatfield get the punishment they deserve.
    I find it telling that those of us who know about the railways, and have friends who work on the railways, think that this woman should have been punished. Certainly the staff I've talked to think she should have had some punishment for her anti-social and selfish behaviour. They should have slapped an ASBO on her.

Putting feet on seats causes huge damage to the seats, and that's something that has to be paid for by other passengers.
    It depends. If the reports are true, if the woman had flip flops, put them on top of the seat for a few moments and assuming they weren't soiled or wet, no it doesn't cause any damage to the seats. Many tens of thousands of similar incidents eventually might. But then again well before that the seat would have been worn out by the many more tens of thousands of people seating on them.

I'm not saying she should have not been punished. I'm saying taking her to court, and possibly causing her to acquire a record, is a fucking travesty and completely disproportionate.
  • Options
    I'm saying taking her to court, and possibly causing her to acquire a record, is a fucking travesty and completely disproportionate.

Although, saying that, it would have been much easier if she just hadn't done it in the first place...

The law, in this case, was an ass. So was she.
  • Options

Railtrack doesn't exsist anymore and hasn't for several years, oh and most of the maintenance isn't done by contractors anymore either.

And actually yeah the law is applied very rigorously to the TOCs, FOCs and Network Rail
  • Options
    Let me put it this way. If we were in France the entire board of the now-defunt Railtrack would be rotting in jail for manslaughter. How could it be any other way, when the Hatfield disaster was caused by the negiglence and greed of a company that ignored the reports on the worn rails and decided to put back the repairs for several months to maximise profits.

Not to mention the directors at the much-loved Jarvis, a company that failed to check and maintain the points at Potters Bar with disastrous consequences, and then had the cheek to claim it had been sabotage.

You could also wonder whether TOCs are indulging in racketeering and general thievery, given the extraordinarily high price hikes they slap on fares year after year after year and their never-ending quest to reduce off-peak seats as much as possible.

If a member of the public had done any of the above they'd be doing bird for a long time. Instead if either pitiful fines or no action at all for the fine people who operate and mantain our railways now. Trebles all around!
  • Options
    So, once again, we get to the whole "if one law isn;t applied then neither should others" debate.

Surely both should be and complaining that one was misses the point that 50% law enforcement is better than none ;)
  • Options
    Not to mention the directors at the much-loved Jarvis, a company that failed to check and maintain the points at Potters Bar with disastrous consequences, and then had the cheek to claim it had been sabotage.

You could also wonder whether TOCs are indulging in racketeering and general thievery, given the extraordinarily high price hikes they slap on fares year after year after year and their never-ending quest to reduce off-peak seats as much as possible.

Jarvis haven't done massive amounts of railway maintenance in years and only tend to provide equipment (such as slingers/tampers) and low end staff now and the railway is better for it. Most of the work is now in house and there is now only 6 contractors compared to the hundreds there used to be and in turn this is about to be reduced to four.

As for prices and TOC's and overcrowding we have the same discussion time and time again. Capacity is at a maximum, capacity cant be increased because the DfT (aka Government) will not authorize or order any more rolling stock (106 extra carriages for Pendolinos/51-76 new carriages for Class 185's). The TOC's can't/won't order new stock as the franchise lengths handed out by the DfT make it impossible for it to be financially viable for the TOC's. If the DfT could order new stock the vast majority wouldn't get passed the new EU engine directives. The only other way to stop overcrowding is to increase prices using that old beauty Demand Vs. Supply.
  • Options
    Another way to stop overcrowding is to stop certain train companies (Virgin are particularly bad at this) from replacing so many ordinary class seats with first class seats ones, and then refusing passengers in ultra-overcrowed cattle class from entering first class cars. As a result you will often see a train consisting of many empty or nearly empty first class cars followed by ordinary class cars where you couldn't slip a rolling paper into.

That and the near extinction of chaper tickets in certain peak services, resulting in those who don't want to remortgage their house in order to travel having their choice of trains available restricted.
  • Options
    Another way to stop overcrowding is to stop certain train companies (Virgin are particularly bad at this) from replacing so many ordinary class seats with first class seats ones, and then refusing passengers in ultra-overcrowed cattle class from entering first class cars. As a result you will often see a train consisting of many empty or nearly empty first class cars followed by ordinary class cars where you couldn't slip a rolling paper into.

That and the near extinction of chaper tickets in certain peak services, resulting in those who don't want to remortgage their house in order to travel having their choice of trains available restricted.

On the vast majority of services you'll find that first class is busy and at peak times full to capacity. The main reason people aren't normally allowed to go in first class is because obviously the vast majority in there have paid for the privilege, although final discretion is with the guard/train manager.

Cheaper tickets have never been available on peak services, since the days when Saver's were introduced (1970's!) so no availability of cheap tickets back then either! Train companies are doing all they can do to get capacity in at peak time and fill empty seats off peak (such as the fact I can travel between London - Manchester tommorow and have pretty much a full day in London for £12! and book a couple of weeks in advance and do the whole lot for £2!)
  • Options
    £12? Wow. With Virgin trains at least the cheapest ticket I could find for tomorrow is £49.50- that's for arrival at nearly 1.30 pm. Please give me the name of your travel agents ;)
  • Options
    £12? Wow. With Virgin trains at least the cheapest ticket I could find for tomorrow is £49.50- that's for arrival at nearly 1.30 pm. Please give me the name of your travel agents ;)

http://www.mobitix.thetrainline.com/vt ;)