Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Train company working on their public image

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well this outta do it.

The case was thrown out by the way. Nice to see their using their money to improve their service.

Comments

• Options
    I'm surprised anyone had the opportunity to put their feet on an *empty* seat on a British train in the first place.

But yes, it is breath-takingly stupid. Even if policy of prosecuting is in place a bit of discrection wouldn't have gone amiss.
  • Options
    How utterly stupid. People do much worse things on trains...I'd rather have someones feet opposite me than sit opposite a smelly dog or on a packed train like i did last week!

"No, of course she has not been treated harshly - if she hasn't got the decency, common sense and manners not to put her feet on the seats, she shouldn't complain if somebody else has to point it out to her. If my parents had seen me do such a thing I would have got a clip round the ear ! But I suppose I'm "old-fashioned"."

Got to love the Telegraphs comments section...
  • Options
    Bring back National Service I say :mad:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Strange: This article says she was more worried about a criminal record than the fine, and in the end she got a record and no fine and seems satisfied...
  • Options
    It is inconsiderate, but sometimes the "authoritarians" just go too far
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    It is inconsiderate and while taking her to court was maybe a little harsh she deserves a fine or warning of some kind.

The number of times I've got off trains to find trousers covered in foot marks and dirt from peoples feet etc is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Strange: This article says she was more worried about a criminal record than the fine, and in the end she got a record and no fine and seems satisfied...

In the end she got nothing because it was utter bullshit, but I can understand why she'd be more bothered about a criminal record, because that is something that goes on your CV - not something that would look good for someone who wants to be a teacher (though I'm struggling to think of what the exact crime would be).

It's yet another example of "we put a sign up warning you, it must be okay" from private companies, to go along with car clampers and bank charges. Maybe I'll put a sign on my door saying that salesmen will be punched in the face, and see how far that gets me in court. If the fine does not fit the cost incurred by the crime, then it's unethical and should be illegal. I can't think of a situation where putting your feet up on a seat would warrant any sort of cleaning costs above and beyond what would normally be paid (like the cost of cleaning a taxi if you're sick in it, for example). If someone is constantly breaking the rules, throw them off the train. Don't try and make money out of them.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    In the end she got nothing
    Mrs Abrams gave Miss Jennings an absolute discharge, meaning she will not be punished but her criminal offence will be recorded. There were no costs awarded.
    Doesn't that mean it went on her record?
  • Options
    I can't think of a situation where putting your feet up on a seat would warrant any sort of cleaning costs above and beyond what would normally be paid

On a large scale it does cause extra cleaning and increased wear and tear on the seating.

The train company concerned has just spent an absolute fortune on refurbishment to these trains and they are entitled to try and keep them in as good a condition as possible!
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    On a large scale it does cause extra cleaning and increased wear and tear on the seating.

The train company concerned has just spent an absolute fortune on refurbishment to these trains and they are entitled to try and keep them in as good a condition as possible!

No different from a pub, but they seem to manage by just asking people to put their feet down rather than trying to fine them. Wear and tear is a basic cost of business.
  • Options
    Doesn't that mean it went on her record?

I'm not sure. I just heard that they'd thrown it out of court on the radio.
  • Options
    No different from a pub, but they seem to manage by just asking people to put their feet down rather than trying to fine them. Wear and tear is a basic cost of business.
    I dont know what pubs you go in with feet on seats!!

I think taking her to court was stupid but she did at least deserve a warning and fine.
  • Options
    With the extortionate fares train companies charge I'm surprised trains don't have reclining chairs with built-in foot-rests.
  • Options
    I think taking her to court was stupid but she did at least deserve a warning and fine.

Why? Who did she hurt? Who did she cost money? Who did her gross misdemeanor impose upon? No-one, that's who. She put her feet on the seat for a few seconds, someone asked her to put them down, she did. That should be the end of it.
  • Options
    Why? Who did she hurt? Who did she cost money? Who did her gross misdemeanor impose upon? No-one, that's who. She put her feet on the seat for a few seconds, someone asked her to put them down, she did. That should be the end of it.
    The TOC who has to pay a dry cleaning bill for someones whos stained clothing on dirty seats. The TOC who has to replace the seat where her heel tears through the seat fabric.
  • Options
    Bloody maths students think they own the world.
  • Options
    The TOC who has to pay a dry cleaning bill for someones whos stained clothing on dirty seats. The TOC who has to replace the seat where her heel tears through the seat fabric.
    Only she was wearing flip flops, the tips of her feet were resting on the seat for a few seconds only, and *clearly* there was no damage caused.

Discrection should have been exercised by the inspector. Not all cases are the same.

Perhaps the TOC should be fined a £100,000 every single time one of its trains is even one second late. If you break the rules, you break the rules, right?
  • Options

Which they were paying for anyway. That's regular wear and tear expect in any business that serves the public, that's already included in the cost of the ticket.
  • Options
    Which they were paying for anyway. That's regular wear and tear expect in any business that serves the public, that's already included in the cost of the ticket.

So when you pay for a hotel that gives you the right to jump continously on the bed in muddy shoes? Gives you a right to steal towels and throw the TV out of the window? You wouldnt go into someones house and put your dirty feet on the seats, why do it on a train?
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Perhaps the TOC should be fined a £100,000 every single time one of its trains is even one second late. If you break the rules, you break the rules, right?

They already are charged massively for delays and cancellations.

Interestingly enough this is being discussed in great details on staff forums. Here is one account from a conductor from this morning:
    Well what a shock. For the pro feet on seat brigade you'll be pleased to know that I had to remove 2 seat bases from a rush hour Sheffield - Leeds service this morning because of soiled seats. So that was 2 seats less on an already crowded train.

Would you be happy if you had to stand because someones dog shit covered shoes had been on the seats?
  • Options
    So when you pay for a hotel that gives you the right to jump continously on the bed in muddy shoes? Gives you a right to steal towels and throw the TV out of the window?

No, I'd expect to be thrown out of a hotel for that. I wouldn't expect a fine however, unless I'd caused some obvious physical damage to the property, which putting feet on a chair doesn't, beyond what would be the expected level of cleaning. So you'd be happy if a hotel charged you extra for spilling something on the carpet, which was going to be cleaned anyway?
  • Options
    So you'd be happy if a hotel charged you extra for spilling something on the carpet, which was going to be cleaned anyway?

Yes, if it caused damage above the usual level of cleaning. Which putting muddy feet on seats does.

If you expect to be kicked out of a hotel for it, I'd be very suprised if you didnt get a bill for valeting/cleaning.
  • Options
    It's all about common sense and discrection JsT though isn't it? I'm not denying the habit of putting feet on the seat is not only annoying but can cause damage and stain the seats. But surely inspectors can and should take different approaches depending on the circumstances. A girl putting the tip of her flip flops on the edge of a seat for a few moments and removing them immediately when challenged is quite different from someone with muddy boots planting their feet on the seat staining it in the process, and then refuse to take their feet off for the duration of the journey.

Would you think it fair game if you got ASBOed and threatened with jail after having the music just a tad too loud at 11.01 pm for the first time? Or given a 6-month driving ban for driving at 41mph on a 40mph zone? Or being arrested after slurring your words while at a pub (since being drunk in one is illegal)? Or do you recognise that discrection should be applied depending on the circumstances of each case?

That this woman was sent to court was a monumental waste of time and money for all concerned, and could have seriously fucked up the woman's long term career prospects. Talk about overkill.
  • Options
    Speaking about Merseyrail's decision to prosecute a woman for putting her feet on a train seat, the judge told the Liverpool-based operator "Alreet, calm down, calm down!".
  • Options
    It's all about common sense and discrection JsT though isn't it? I'm not denying the habit of putting feet on the seat is not only annoying but can cause damage and stain the seats. But surely inspectors can and should take different approaches depending on the circumstances. A girl putting the tip of her flip flops on the edge of a seat for a few moments and removing them immediately when challenged is quite different from someone with muddy boots planting their feet on the seat staining it in the process, and then refuse to take their feet off for the duration of the journey.

That this woman was sent to court was a monumental waste of time and money for all concerned, and could have seriously fucked up the woman's long term career prospects. Talk about overkill.

Of course there must be some discretion. As I said above taking her to court was a harsh treatment. You do have to be seen though to have a level playing field and may be a fine would have been more appropriate.

Again the news story doesnt perhaps give the full facts. She may have been repeatedly warned, she could have been abusive when asked. OF course the article shes protrayed as goody two shoes!
  • Options
    Of course there should be some discretion, but Merseyrail have been forced into the authoritarian corner by people who simply will not do as they are asked. These trains are repeatedly vandalised and damaged, and at the end of the day, all those who defend this girl are paying for her selfish and inconsiderate actions. They've tried for goodness knows how long to be nice about it and not getting anywhere, so they're trying to play nasty.

She should have been fined fifty quid instead. That would be fair.

The TOCs have to pay for the damage- extra repairs to the vehicles, dry cleaning to damaged clothes- and that cost is reflected in the ticket price.

Interestingly, the TOC is backed up completely by the Passenger Transport Executive for Merseyside.
  • Options
    Have they tried the age-old method of throwing someone off the train for being a twat? Not getting where I'd paid to go would be more effective than a fine at the end of the journey in my view, especially if you ended up being chucked off in a city you don't know and had to find your own way home. Ban people from your train, fair enough. Don't attempt to fine them once they're on it. I find it hilarious that people who argue about their freedoms being eroded every day then support the right of some unqualified twat on a train (or man on a street watching for the smallest piece of litter to fall from your hand) to be judge, jury and executioner with regards to whether you get a hefty fine or not. People who claim that legal resources are being wasted on petty crimes that hurt no-one (like drug use) have no problem with legal resources going to what is obviously a very serious crime of feet on seats. Well if that's the best use of resources where you come from, I envy you. If I was more cynical, I would entertain the possibility that this is nothing to do with prevention of this huge injustice, and instead a nice little money spinner for the rail network. But then I'm sure they're trustworthy enough.
  • Options

The TOCs are already fined quite heavily if they cause delay to themselves or other TOCs.

I think a little discreation would have served fine here, ask her to remove her feet if she puts them back on the seat, refuses to move them chuck her off the train. If she gets abusive then prosecute her.
  • Options
    Asta wrote: »
    I think a little discreation would have served fine here, ask her to remove her feet if she puts them back on the seat, refuses to move them chuck her off the train. If she gets abusive then prosecute her.

She will have been told more than likely. The MerseyRail Units have the message frequently through the automated public address system!
  • Options
    It was an absurd over-reaction. I don't care if they have publicised a campaign against it, just because a company decides to make policy public does not underwrite any application of that policy.

The courts should throw this out, and ask why measures were not in place to resolve this in a sensible manner. And the jobsworth bastard that did it ought to be retrained. If he had faced abuse or resistance then he might have been justified in taking a more robust approach.

How are we expected to encourage a society of reason, consensus and peaceful conflict resolution when systems of enforcement react so harshly in the first instant? Especially when passengers are continually asked (sometimes justifiably) for their patients when delays and cancellations occur.

If train companies wish to connect with the humanity and rationality of commuters, then they should extend commuters the same courtesy.

Disgraceful.
  • Options
    I don't care if they have publicised a campaign against it, just because a company decides to make policy public does not underwrite any application of that policy.
    She wasn't taken to court over a 'policy' she was taken to court under section 6 of the railway bye-laws which are legally enforceable:

6. Unacceptable behaviour
    (1) No person shall use any threatening, abusive, obscene or offensive language
    on the railway.
    (2) No person shall behave in a disorderly, indecent or offensive manner on the
    railway.
    (3) No person shall write, draw, paint or fix anything on the railway.
    (4) No person shall soil any part of the railway.
    (5) No person shall damage or detach any part of the railway.
    (6) No person shall spit on the railway.
    (7) No person shall drop litter or leave waste on the railway.
    (8) No person shall molest or wilfully interfere with the comfort or convenience of
    any person on the railway.

If train companies wish to connect with the humanity and rationality of commuters, then they should extend commuters the same courtesy.

These same commuters who complain and kick up a fuss where their £1000 Versace suits are damaged by the crap left on the seats by those who put their feet on the seats! :rolleyes: