Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scientology to be sued

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    You don't see a distinction, so you think the beliefs in Scientology aren't "fantastical nonsense?" Have you heard of Xenu?

I think they all purport absolute nonsense. I've stated this clearly. Some require you to pay to be a member of their club and some require you to subscribe to a certain superstition. People get all het up about Scientology because its bugaboo is money; people don't seem to get so worked up about accepting Christ as the saviour - it's all equally nonsensical.
    Anyhoo, the difference is that all of them expect you to believe and follow their system, but scientology will charge you money to gain knowledge on these beliefs. It's a scam.

Scientology and The Others go about exploiting people's vulnerabilities; they're all scams; they both use different mediums for their exploitation.
  • Options
    it's all equally nonsensical.

But it's not equally nonsensicle, if you can't see the difference being scammed for free and being scammed for money then frankly, you're better off with the Scientologists.
  • Options
    But it's not equally nonsensicle, if you can't see the difference being scammed for free and being scammed for money then frankly, you're better off with the Scientologists.

You're not addressing my point.
  • Options
    The difference between Christians being told stories in the Bible about the feeding of the five thousand etc and Scientologists being told they're going to be zapped up to a wonderful world only for Scientologists and void of "body thetans" is that the vast majority of Christians are aware that those stories are parables. That their point is to illustrate a moral or religious point, and that it's not essential to believe in the bones of the story to take away the value from it. They teach the core values of faith, trust and love and that's holds a hell of a lot more credibility in my view than the teachings of the Scientologists to their members -- that everybody who is not "one of us" (the film Freaks is quite appropriate here) is evil and possessed and running a smear campaign against Scientology/Scientologists.

Oh, and saying that Catholics deliver up their kids for so-called "kiddy-fiddling" in the same way that Scientologists empty their pockets for enlightenment is depraved, whether meant in earnest or not.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    The difference between Christians being told stories in the Bible about the feeding of the five thousand etc and Scientologists being told they're going to be zapped up to a wonderful world only for Scientologists and void of "body thetans" is that the vast majority of Christians are aware that those stories are parables. That their point is to illustrate a moral or religious point, and that it's not essential to believe in the bones of the story to take away the value from it. They teach the core values of faith, trust and love and that's holds a hell of a lot more credibility in my view than the teachings of the Scientologists to their members -- that everybody who is not "one of us" (the film Freaks is quite appropriate here) is evil and possessed and running a smear campaign against Scientology/Scientologists.

Christians don't believe that the story of Jesus is just a "parable". And the story of Jesus is in every way as fantastical as Xenu and the Galactic Confederacy. Fuck it, Aliens are a damn sight more plausible than God. If Scientology had landed two thousand years ago when people were (more) credulous and more concerned with evil spirits causing illness, then i suspect we'd have Scientology as the worlds largest religion - or off-shoots thereof.

People need to get over the idea that their religion is in anyway special; a person's religion is largely likely to be an accident of birth. The chances are also that a believer has had their religions drilled into them at a young age, while their still Santa Clause susceptible. The hypocrisy of one person of faith criticising another person's faith is almost tangible.
    Oh, and saying that Catholics deliver up their kids for so-called "kiddy-fiddling" in the same way that Scientologists empty their pockets for enlightenment is depraved, whether meant in earnest or not.

I never said Catholics deliver up kids for fiddling. Still the comparison was rubbish - i was a bit drunk - and i accept it was silly.
  • Options
    THis would be good. But i would not be suprised at all if the case was suddenly dropped, or key evidence/witnesses wer abducted by "aliens"..
  • Options
    The difference between Christians being told stories in the Bible about the feeding of the five thousand etc and Scientologists being told they're going to be zapped up to a wonderful world only for Scientologists and void of "body thetans" is that the vast majority of Christians are aware that those stories are parables.
    I don't think the vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus being the son of god is just a metaphor or parable. Incidentally, I do believe that a large percentage of people who claim to be Christian in polls don't actually genuinely believe Christian teachings (and are therefore only Christians in a cultural or social sense). Incidentally on this subject, there aren't enough churches in America to hold all of the people who claim to go to church every week in such polls.
    That their point is to illustrate a moral or religious point, and that it's not essential to believe in the bones of the story to take away the value from it. They teach the core values of faith, trust and love and that's holds a hell of a lot more credibility in my view than the teachings of the Scientologists to their members -- that everybody who is not "one of us" (the film Freaks is quite appropriate here) is evil and possessed and running a smear campaign against Scientology/Scientologists.
    I think we're agreed that most people don't get their morals from their chosen scripture. As for the concept of everyone who is not "one of us" being evil, have you not heard of a little place called hell? All religions are equally divisive. In the core teachings of Christianity and Islam, you can be the kindest person on the planet, but if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your saviour, you're going to hell. Many churches teach that any evidence that contradicts the bible is there to tempt you. The morals in the bible are common to all of society (well the idea that the teachings of the bible are moral is highly debatable, but let's assume they are for a second). It's the bullshit that goes along with it that they're selling under the impression that it turns you into a good person if you follow it.
  • Options
    You're not addressing my point.

Everything you've said I've addressed, read the thread again.
    Christians don't believe that the story of Jesus is just a "parable".

But the Bible (New Testament in particular) makes the distinction between the narrative and the allegorical. When the Bible tells of Jesus feeding 5 thousand they mention it's a parable.
    Matthew 13

10) And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
    11) He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
    12) For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
    13) Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Maistream Protestant Church's and even the Catholic Church after the Second Vatican Council have accepted a more interpretative approach to the Bible. Only a minority of fruitcakes actually take every word in the Bible to it's literal sense.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    most of the time this makes you look like an idiot as they're the most stupid disagreements ever, LIKE this one :rolleyes:

i disagree with this because i don’t see the differents between scientology and any other made up religions, they all talk shit, at least this scientology lot dont go around blowing themselfs up, no one is force to join, so i cant see why you lot have such a problem with them?
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    i disagree with this because i don’t see the differents between scientology and any other made up religions, they all talk shit, at least this scientology lot dont go around blowing themselfs up, no one is force to join, so i cant see why you lot have such a problem with them?

So if someone came on here and started bad-mouthing Christians you'd have no problem with that?
  • Options
    So if someone came on here and started bad-mouthing Christians you'd have no problem with that?

I don’t like picking out one religions and going at it is right, talking about all religions i wouldn’t have a problem with,
  • Options
    Only a minority of fruitcakes actually take every word in the Bible to it's literal sense.

Including Jesus himself. Jesus rejected the church of the time, but was still quite clear on many occasions that followers of God should live in accordance to the rules put down by the Old Testament.
  • Options
    Including Jesus himself. Jesus rejected the church of the time, but was still quite clear on many occasions that followers of God should live in accordance to the rules put down by the Old Testament.

And what's that got to do with the price of artichokes in the Outer Hebredies?
  • Options
    And what's that got to do with the price of artichokes in the Outer Hebredies?

You seemed to be claiming that the new testament validates the idea that the old testament isn't supposed to be taken literally. If anything, it does the opposite.

Incidentally, the only reason the Catholic church (and others) accept a more interpretive version of the bible is because it is constantly disproved, and sticking to their principles would mean that their income would be practically non-existant, because it would be so far away from most people's ideas of morality that people would find it disgraceful.
  • Options
    You seemed to be claiming that the new testament validates the idea that the old testament isn't supposed to be taken literally. If anything, it does the opposite.

Where did I mention the Old Testament? Anyhoo, the Old Testament has little relevance to Christians. Go to a Chrch service some day, I've been to hundreds throughout my childhood and never once heard a story from the Old Testament. It's all Gospel shite and Letters to the Galatians and shite like that.
    Incidentally, the only reason the Catholic church (and others) accept a more interpretive version of the bible is because it is constantly disproved, and sticking to their principles would mean that their income would be practically non-existant, because it would be so far away from most people's ideas of morality that people would find it disgraceful.

Again, where's the relevance?
  • Options
    But the Bible (New Testament in particular) makes the distinction between the narrative and the allegorical. When the Bible tells of Jesus feeding 5 thousand they mention it's a parable.

Poppy-cock. The Bible purports fantastical nonsense and one sketchy quote from The Bible which says nothing about anything is a seriously weak refutation of the points being made. Is the resurrection of Christ and the virgin birth "allegorical".

All your saying essentially is The Bible's egregious bull-shit is allegorical and the stuff that isn't so morally repugnant or fantastically unbelievable is the real stuff we should take from. It's a squirmy and slippery non-argument.
    Maistream Protestant Church's and even the Catholic Church after the Second Vatican Council have accepted a more interpretative approach to the Bible. Only a minority of fruitcakes actually take every word in the Bible to it's literal sense.

Of course they have to constantly accept a more interpretative approach; we're growing up intellectually as a race. Religion has its roots in the infancy of our species.
  • Options
    Where did I mention the Old Testament? Anyhoo, the Old Testament has little relevance to Christians. Go to a Chrch service some day, I've been to hundreds throughout my childhood and never once heard a story from the Old Testament. It's all Gospel shite and Letters to the Galatians and shite like that.

It seems to me that you're clinging to the ever shrinking idea of sensible religion. You're casting off all the bits that aren't so comfortable to deal with as they're refuted and are searching for the ever decreasing stable bits.

You've successfully cast of the Old Testament and all the bad bits from the New Testament. Really, you don't need The Bible to take your moral cue from what's left.
  • Options
    Same here. But like I said, you and some Christians may claim that the Old Testament is of little relevance to Christians, but Jesus seems to disagree. And I think I'd trust Jesus to know what his message is better than someone 2000 years later.
    Quite a lot if we're discussing religion being a money-making enterprise or not. I'd think changing your core beliefs to fit in with the maximum number of potential churchgoers is a clear indication of the priorities of many religions.
  • Options
    Is the resurrection of Christ and the virgin birth "allegorical".

For Christians? No.
    All your saying essentially is The Bible's egregious bull-shit is allegorical and the stuff that isn't so morally repugnant or fantastically unbelievable is the real stuff we should take from.

No, I'm not saying that. Can you read?
  • Options
    Same here. But like I said, you and some Christians may claim that the Old Testament is of little relevance to Christians, but Jesus seems to disagree. And I think I'd trust Jesus to know what his message is better than someone 2000 years later.

But Christians also believe that the Bible and every word written in it came from the hand of God, the New Testament focuses on Jesus and that he is the Messiah. Therefore God wants us to focus on the New Testament and on Jesus as the Messiah. It's crazy but that's how it is.
    Quite a lot if we're discussing religion being a money-making enterprise or not. I'd think changing your core beliefs to fit in with the maximum number of potential churchgoers is a clear indication of the priorities of many religions.

The Church accquired all their land centuries before major dogmatic changes or the separation of Church. The Church could lose all their attendances and still be loaded after it. Doesn't the Church own like a 1/5 of all land in England or something?
  • Options
    To be honest the Bible has to be fantastical. The miracles are there of proof of Jesus's divinity. If Jesus had tried to walk on water and sunk or Lazarus had stayed dead it would have the lacked that 'awe' factor (as in "Awww truly you are the Son of God" (with apologies to John Wayne)
  • Options
    The Church accquired all their land centuries before major dogmatic changes or the separation of Church. The Church could lose all their attendances and still be loaded after it. Doesn't the Church own like a 1/5 of all land in England or something?

Those sorts of things cost a fortune in upkeep. They need a steady income like anyone else with those sorts of assets. Don't overestimate the Catholic church. Their New York diocese was bankrupted by a few child abuse lawsuits. Either way, just because they're rich, does that mean they don't get worried if they're failing to attract people? No different from any business.
  • Options
    Is Scientology the religion that claims that humans would be more in control of themselves if it weren't for those things called "emotions" that get in the way, or am I getting them confused with the cybermen?

Actually the Scientology guru died in 1986 and I'm not sure if they are a "profit-making" organisation as such or if the money that people pay just goes to sustain the organisation (perhaps pay some stuff). I'm not convinced anyone is forced to hand over their money although I don't believe in their s**t myself.