Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bike riding

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
since i finished uni, i've stopped going to the gym - purely because i haven't got around to finding a decent one to go to. in a bid to keep keeping myself fit, last week i decided to go for a bike ride. on the monday i did 14 miles and on the friday i did 24 miles, and i really enjoyed it. i would love to do it regularly but am worried about getting horrible legs. i love my legs as they are now, they're quite slim and defined and a bit muscley and i don't really want to turn them into man legs, lol. i've never been into running and really enjoy the freedom of riding my bike in the countryside and can see myself covering long distances most of the time. is there anyway i can stop myself getting man legs and is bike riding a good calorie burner and general all round way of getting fit? would be grateful for any answers!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    yeh it is thank you, i did do a search but didn't come by that one. :)

still worried about getting man legs. :(
  • Options
    they do when you're not a man!
  • Options
    on the monday i did 14 miles and on the friday i did 24 miles,

Oh my god, I got on my bike last week for the first time in years and when I came back from going round the block I was knackered! I am so jel!
    I need to quit smoking:nervous:
  • Options
    I do a load of miles each week on my bike, but doesnt seem to make me more fitter or anything, it sucks!
  • Options
    You won't get man legs unless you're a man (or abusing certain drugs), having one tenth of the testosterone that men have it's pretty damn difficult ;)
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    I do a load of miles each week on my bike, but doesnt seem to make me more fitter or anything, it sucks!

do you use alot of hills?
  • Options
    still worried about getting man legs. :(

You shouldn't do. Not last summer but the summer before, I was cycling 16 miles a day, 5 days a week (soooo 80 miles a week!) and alot of this was uphill cycling. My legs didn't bulk up at all. They ended up alot slimmer and toned though. I was much fitter too :D
  • Options
    You shouldn't do. Not last summer but the summer before, I was cycling 16 miles a day, 5 days a week (soooo 80 miles a week!) and alot of this was uphill cycling. My legs didn't bulk up at all. They ended up alot slimmer and toned though. I was much fitter too :D

ahh that's good then! i'll keep at it and if they start looking manly i'll stop!
  • Options
    on the monday i did 14 miles and on the friday i did 24 miles, and i really enjoyed it.

wow, how did they take you?? buns of steel!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    wow, how did they take you?? buns of steel!

lol, the 24 mile one took me 2 and a half hours. :)
  • Options
    lol, the 24 mile one took me 2 and a half hours. :)

Was it non stop or did you ride then have a picnic then come back?
  • Options
    it was non stop, didn't even get off my bike once.. after reading the link that someone posted i think perhaps i should've done!
  • Options
    it was non stop, didn't even get off my bike once.. after reading the link that someone posted i think perhaps i should've done!

You didn't even stop to drink some water?!
  • Options
    nah i did it as i went! actually i did stop for about 2 minutes to have a slightly longer drink.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    You won't get man legs unless you're a man (or abusing certain drugs), having one tenth of the testosterone that men have it's pretty damn difficult ;)

THANK YOU.

Women will NOT get bloke-like physiques without crazy supplements and super tough routines.
  • Options
    i didn't actually mean proper man legs! i just mean bigger musclier legs. :)
  • Options
    Thinking about it, its been aggggges since i've been on my bike. Actually, think my dad threw it away :(
  • Options
    Bucolic biking! Cycling through the gorgeous countryside is one of my idyllic pleasures; a scenic way to toned fitness and shapely athletic legs.:thumb:
  • Options
    cameloty wrote: »
    toned fitness and shapely athletic legs.:thumb:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :yum:
  • Options
    but that's what i mean, i already have shapely athletic and toned legs.. i don't want them to get too shapely!
  • Options
    Yeah you do see some women with big muscley carves dont ya!
  • Options
    lucifer you'll be fine. I cycle a fair amount but am still a bit lazy. Today as I was cycling my little 2 mile or whatever it is stretch through Tottenham there was a very fit young lady who overtook me on my route. As long as you avoid any kind of steroids etc to build your muscles I can't see how you can come to any harm.
  • Options
    cheers! :) i'll maybe do one long one a week and see how i get on. if i start getting overly shapely legs i'll rethink..