Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is there anyway...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote: »
    Are they even meant to know the purpose of your last visit?

They are bound by confidentiality laws. They can look at your records if they are required to do so for their job. So for example, if the practice is conductnig an audit about how many patients come to visit the GP in a week but are only given advice to buy something over the counter, the receptionist may look at the records of all those people who had an appointment that week, because her job role requires her to do so. If she was just a nosy moo who wanted to know what the sexy man who saw Dr X on Thursday was in for then she shouldn't be looking. Of course that doesn't mean she won't. ;)

As for confirming things, I don't know why the receptionist would need to say your name and purpose for visit allowed for the waiting room to hear. Some practices no longer take repeat prescriptions over the telephone because of the issues raised in this thread. If you are really bothered about confidentiality at your surgery I would urge you to take up the matter with the practice manager. Nothing will change unless you speak up.

Where I worked we would not allow someone to collect a prescription on someone else's behalf unless they gave us express written permission to do so. They had to sign the form infront of us to authorise a named person to collect on their behalf and then that person had to bring ID. Yes, it was a clart on for most people, and yes, we did suffer tons of "but she's my WIFE" related abuse but it made sure that nobody could steal your prescription without your knowledge.
  • Options
    It also meant that someones mother couldn't pick up their pill prescription and then throw a hissy fit at daughter when got home. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It also meant that someones mother couldn't pick up their pill prescription and then throw a hissy fit at daughter when got home. :rolleyes:

My mum used to do that, she used to get things like every month and always felt the need to get me more pills, it got to the point where i have a years supple within 3 months so just had to tell her to stop.

She picked up some tablets for me today as well.
  • Options

That was one of the reasons we bruoght it in. A neighbouring surgery had allowed a man to pick up his daughter's prescription and a few days later she was in hospital having been beated up for being sexually active. :nervous: :(
  • Options
    No, it wasn't so much that she was putting in for a repeat for me without me asking.

She was picking up one of hers, and they 'kindly' gave her mine as well at the same time. Lead to a nice falling out when we got home, she thought I was doing all sorts behind her back etc etc. This was years back now, and it was solely for acne.
  • Options
    DC85 wrote: »
    No i suppose not. Unless maybe you offer the information when you ring up ie. "can i see the doc i've got a cough".

Which is exactly what I thought.
  • Options
    lol absolutely ace!! There has been a whole thread about me since i left lol. well the up-shot is i have an e111 card! Thanks nik!
  • Options
    Just remember to take it on bloody holiday with us now - I may take it off you on Thursday and make sure I pack it instead :razz: