Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How can they justify this?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Doesnt even need to be a figure of authority.
    Anyone with a professional qualification can sign it.
    Mine was countersigned by a professional printer. No problem

TBH You are lucky to find a GP who is willing to do it these days anyway...
  • Options
    i thought it was £10 - that's a bit steep. my doctor has done me 2 within the space of a few months and not charged me. think it's because she's nice/she knows my mum/feels sorry for me!
  • Options
    It might only take them a minute to do, but on their pay, 30 quid is about at cost
  • Options
    Presumably in order to sign the form (after reading it) to say its correct would involve an extensive review of his notes held at the surgery? That could take ages to read through all the records to cross-reference them to check nothing has been emitted etc.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The employer should pay for it, as it is the employer that needs it. The employer has to pay for other similar forms, such as the enhance CRB check.

Apparently it said on the form that any costs incurred with be payable by the applicant.
  • Options
    Given the payback I'd say it was a good investment.

It is, but when you are earning £6000 LESS than what you will be, it kinda gives the picture of how skint we are.
  • Options
    To be fair to the GP I think it would be more reasonable to bitch and moan about why the police service won't pay for it, rather than the GP charging for it which is perfectly reasonable for a professional service.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    If the police payfor it, it means we pay for it.

30 quids fuck all in the scheme of things though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If the doc does it in his NHS time we pay for it too.....
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    yea it doesn't take 5 seconds to write "I certify this is ..... signed ..." which doesnt really verify £30 charges but ah well such is life

as already said, DRs are paid quite a wadge - should it be lowered to meet the salary expectations of the people they work for- £0.05 for the toddler who thinks their couple of quid a week is loadsa moolah? If you fill in a passport form properly, it takes more than 5 seconds to sign for, sensible people don't just sign any old piece of paper pushed under their noses, whether it looks familiar or not.
  • Options
    Passport photos you are also supposed to check the form and fill in a section on the back. You also have to be willing to be contacted by UKPA which will also take up your time.

Convert it to an hourly out of hours rate and it starts to seem a little more fair. I suspect it is also on the passport photos thing to try and put people off wasting their time with it.
  • Options
    If doctors didnt take so fecking long about seeing patients they'd be able to do it during nhs time. I went to the docs on monday and was waiting for over an hour. My mum works at the surgery and said that they're always running late cos they spend so much time chatting (all female doctors). Fair enough, sometimes someone needs a longer appointment cos they genuinely need medical attention, but seriously. Its not fair.
  • Options
    You'd be amazed how much they glean from patients by chatting to them, a lot of the stuff that various doctors and nurses picked up from me while I was will last summer was the chat as much as the consultation. It's not always the waste it seems it is.

Some people completely over exagerrate their symptons, others play them right down, and the general chat will often shed light on the real situation.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    30 quids fuck all in the scheme of things though.

Not when you are skint its not.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Not when you are skint its not.
    Exactly, I'm on the dole and it's two thirds of my weekly income.
  • Options
    I had to undergo a medical recently when applying for my life insurance. I didn't have to pay anything. If I missed the appointment and had to rearrange then I would have had to pay £25.