Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How can they justify this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Chris needs a medical report signing by the gp. Ok i guessed there would be a charge for this but £30.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that taking the piss or what?

It's not like its for a naff reason, its for the police (his regular application) so its for a job for the community too (yes i know you don't all see it like that).

How can they get away with such high prices? I could understand a tenner but jeeze!

Comments

• Options
    Do you have any other options for getting it signed ?
  • Options
    Yup, but police should pay, When I joined the ACF they payed for mine, just gave the docs a form to fill in
  • Options
    No idea, but be glad you don't need dive medical reports signing on a yearly basis!

I suppose they might try and justify it on the grounds that it's not covered by NHS so is done as private work.....

Am dreading when I have to get my fit to return to uni form signed.
  • Options
    Maybe they hiked the price up when they found out if was for a police officer. :p
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Do you have any other options for getting it signed ?

No it has to be signed by his gp.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Yup, but police should pay, When I joined the ACF they payed for mine, just gave the docs a form to fill in

Why would the police pay for it?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Maybe they hiked the price up when they found out if was for a police officer. :p

:p
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    No it has to be signed by his gp.

Then thats how they can get away with charging what they like. Its shit I know. I would just pay the fee but let his car tyres down or something :p
  • Options
    We have no choice but to pay it, but i think that they should have some sort of regulating like banks do now on fair charges!
  • Options
    Why would the police pay for it?
    because he's going to be working for them?

like im working for the ACF so they paid for mine,
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    tis the same when you need to get passport photos verified, our local surgery wanted to charge us £30 just to sign to say the photo is actually us, so we went back to our primary school head teacher and she signed it for free (only had to be done by a figure of authority though) tis ridiculous at times

Yeah but a passport is for holidays (luxurys) this is for an important job.
  • Options
    because he's going to be working for them?

like im working for the ACF so they paid for mine,

I will mention it to him but no holding out much hope.
  • Options
    True.
    I will tell him but i doubt they will pay it.
  • Options
    It's simply because it's not seen as within their "duties". You could argue that it is or that it isn't but they're within their rights to charge for it, unfortunately.

My darling GP has always signed mine for free despite that not being surgery practice. I used to just take 'em along to my appointment and he'd do it then. He's just a nice bloke I think :)

I have to add my voice to the surprise at the Police not paying for it - but then why am I not surprised. I always thought the medical report stage came when the employers (or whoever) were sure you were going to have a successful application process pending no medical problems, so they paid for it as goodwill/standard practice. But maybe it's different for the old bill, I have no first hand experience.
  • Options
    Passports can also be for work.

In fairness to the GP filling in the form, signing it and checking the records to know that the form is right all takes his time, and it's not part of his NHS contract so he's not getting paid for doing it, likewise for the passport photos. It would be nice if they would do it all for free, but there's no reason to expect they should. Bear in mind as highly qualified professionals their hourly rate is pretty high.
  • Options
    It is the last stage of the application process. As long as he passes his hearing test next week then hes in.
    So they more or less know they are gonna give him the job, so its all a bit crappy that they want to charge so much. Like i said i understand they want to charge for it but i don't understand why it's so bloody much!
  • Options
    Have to say though, I am surprised that the police don't offer to pay. It might be worth ringing the advice line for applications and ask if it is standard to have to pay and if there is anyway of reimbursing costs.
  • Options
    It would be nice if they would do it all for free, but there's no reason to expect they should. .

I am not expecting them to do it for free, just not stupidly overpriced!
  • Options
    They've got to look it all up etc too, I realise it's doesn't seem fair but it's not outrageous.

I know bear in mind you are not only paying for his time, but the receptionists time, and the practise running costs....
  • Options
    Chris needs a medical report signing by the gp. Ok i guessed there would be a charge for this but £30.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that taking the piss or what?

It's not like its for a naff reason, its for the police (his regular application) so its for a job for the community too (yes i know you don't all see it like that).

How can they get away with such high prices? I could understand a tenner but jeeze!
    I've just had a bill for 28 quid for my doctor to write 3 sentences!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I've just had a bill for 28 quid for my doctor to write 3 sentences!

It's crap isn't it.
  • Options
    yea it doesn't take 5 seconds to write "I certify this is ..... signed ..." which doesnt really verify £30 charges but ah well such is life

The receptionist at my Doctor's said yes it only takes a short time for one but we have lots of these forms and they are done as overtime as there isn't time during surgery hours.
  • Options
    It's crap isn't it.

Yep and seeing as I'm on benefits and this is for my insurance on a loan, it's really gona sting me.
  • Options
    Ouch,

well with mine I actually had a medical examination.. so it seemed more justified, it was bout an hour long I believe.
  • Options
    Ouch,

well with mine I actually had a medical examination.. so it seemed more justified, it was bout an hour long I believe.

I can understand if you had a full medical examinaton, but not for signing a bit of paper.
  • Options
    Ouch,

That has already been done by the force gp. So all they want is for his actual gp to confirm the form is correct and sign in.
  • Options
    tis the same when you need to get passport photos verified, our local surgery wanted to charge us £30 just to sign to say the photo is actually us, so we went back to our primary school head teacher and she signed it for free (only had to be done by a figure of authority though) tis ridiculous at times

Doesnt even need to be a figure of authority.
    Anyone with a professional qualification can sign it.
    Mine was countersigned by a professional printer. No problem
  • Options
    £10 is all i had to pay when i needed a letter written to college, £30 odd is very steep!
  • Options
    The employer should pay for it, as it is the employer that needs it. The employer has to pay for other similar forms, such as the enhance CRB check.
  • Options
    It's not part of the NHS, it is more work for them and it will take a while to do. Added to that they are responsible for any inaccuracies written in that report.

£30 for a report to say that he's fit enough to work for the police? Given the payback I'd say it was a good investment.