Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

imprisoning asylum seekers is wrong and out of order

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anyhow Territt, even if you think the Refugee Council are wrong, don't just claim bias, give us some evidence.
  • Options

what happened to people power?

You go out and speak to the man on the street and you'll find most of them agree with keeping them in centres until they are deported the only thing they want.

Wether or not that opinion is justified or based on fact or just on what the scaremongering tabloids write is irrelevant. Whilst the majority of the population want asylum seekers locked up and deported the government will do what it can to oblige. It's one of the pitfalls of living in a democracy.

And in case you get the wrong end of the stick, i think the way they are treated is shambolic. Yes I can see the requirement to detain them for a period of time, although there is nothing hard about giving them somewhere comfortable/clean/safe to stay until their claim is processed, and nothing hard about ensuring that claim is processed quickly.
  • Options
    And in case you get the wrong end of the stick, i think the way they are treated is shambolic. Yes I can see the requirement to detain them for a period of time, although there is nothing hard about giving them somewhere comfortable/clean/safe to stay until their claim is processed, and nothing hard about ensuring that claim is processed quickly.

Absolutely, I see absolutely nothing disagreeable about that. With respect to people power, that is a different issue. Changing perceptions requires us getting out and presenting a different case than the easily accessible one in The Sun/Mirror/Mail.