Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I.d

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What forms of I.D do nightclubs, offlicences , pubs and so on accept apart from a drivin licence, provisional, passport are there any?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    bouncers at night clubs tend to only accept passports and drivering licences, and bar workers are fairly strict like that in pubs.

Student cards are sometimes ok in student cities like Leeds, but unlikely in Stoke.

Offlicences, well there not much of a challenge, hardly any of them ever I.D.
  • Options
    if you can get away with it a birth certificate is easy to fake
    before i was 18 that served its purpose many times :angel:
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote: »
    What forms of I.D do nightclubs, offlicences , pubs and so on accept apart from a drivin licence, provisional, passport are there any?

Some places used to accept Portman ID cards - not sure if they still do however.

There are that many fake IDs about, its better to take your passport/driving license to be sure you don't get any hassle.
  • Options
    my passports just expired and i havent sent off for my provisional yet its my birthday soon and i wanna make sure ive got I.D but i dont think il be able afford the £45 for a provisional or the money get my passport renewed
  • Options
    I think you should be ok if the passport has expired, if its just for proving your age.
  • Options
    When i've worked in off licences/pubs it's been photo I.D. only. Passport, drivers licence, portman group I.D. card. I have accepted a credit card with a photo on before.
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    I think you should be ok if the passport has expired, if its just for proving your age.

yeah i thought it would be too just dont wanna go out on my birthday and it not be accepted lol
  • Options
    When I worked for the shops, I was taught by a man who worked very high up in the Bars department. As a general rule, valid forms of age verification include drivers licences, whether full or provisional, passports, and accredited age verification schemes, such as Sure ID. Student identification is normally only acceptable in bars where a high percentage of customers are themselves students. In normal circumstances, I would not personally have accepted such a form of ID.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    When I worked for the shops, I was taught by a man who worked very high up in the Bars department. As a general rule, valid forms of age verification include drivers licences, whether full or provisional, passports, and accredited age verification schemes, such as Sure ID. Student identification is normally only acceptable in bars where a high percentage of customers are themselves students. In normal circumstances, I would not personally have accepted such a form of ID.

would u have accepted a passport if it had expiered
  • Options
    Most likely, yes. Ultimately, shop assistants and bar workers do have the right to refuse a sale for any reason, so it would depend entirely on the individual. Personally however, yes, I would accept an expired passport. I have once accepted a Polish passport, as they are all made to internationally recognised standards in law.
  • Options

you will be fine with an expired passport if the picture looks vaguely like you. But what are you going to do when you want to leave the country and send off for a new passport, you wont be able to go out for 3 weeks.

Provisionals are are only £20
  • Options
    olaola wrote: »

Provisionals are are only £20

It says on the DVLA website they are £45 and when it was my birthday last year they were £38
    Its ok now because my dads writin me a cheques for it ive just got to give him the money back for it
  • Options
    Round my way a lot of places aren't excepting provisional drivers licences any more...
    Apparently its because when you send off for a provisional they don't actually verify the age you put down, where as on a full licence they do.
  • Options
    I got my provisional license when people started being tight and not accepting my citizenship card.
  • Options
    I got my provisional license when my local skank-hole club refused to accept my passport just because it had expired 2 weeks beforehand :(
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    Round my way a lot of places aren't excepting provisional drivers licences any more...
    Apparently its because when you send off for a provisional they don't actually verify the age you put down, where as on a full licence they do.

Aye they don't accept provisionals in a lot of pubs and clubs 'round here anymore, either. I didn't know that was the reason though, I just assumed they were using it as another method to turf undesirables :lol:

Often it depends on the bouncer/barperson you encounter though. Some used to accept birth certificates (!) around here back in the day...
  • Options
    This is not the sole reason. In the last year or so, the police have discovered many complex criminal scams in which people try to commit fraud by opening bank accounts using fake provisional licences. Therefore, many banks won't accept provisional licences as valid ID for those over the age of 18. (though it does vary from each bank) One of the effects of this was that pubs have started declining provisionals, thinking they may be fakes. They don't have the same amount to lose as the banks, but it is understandable they do not want to take the risk of serving potentially under-age customers.

As for the idea of accepting a birth certificate, these things are so easily doctored that any person who did accept it as a valid form of ID needs their head examined.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    I got my provisional license when my local skank-hole club refused to accept my passport just because it had expired 2 weeks beforehand :(
    That's fucking ridiculous. As if that changes how old you are. Thick twats.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    That's fucking ridiculous. As if that changes how old you are. Thick twats.

:yes: I know thats so stupid
  • Options

Really?! That's pretty shit, I don't wanna have to start taking my passport out with me.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Really?! That's pretty shit, I don't wanna have to start taking my passport out with me.

Its worth thinking about getting one of these cards. Its the leading PASS approved commercial proof of age card. So it means its acceptable in all pubs and shops.

I just know me, alcohol and passports don't mix well. So if i lost this I wouldn't be too bothered.

:thumb:

(This is assuming your old enough to drink in the first place ed ;) )
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Its worth thinking about getting one of these cards. Its the leading PASS approved commercial proof of age card. So it means its acceptable in all pubs and shops.

I just know me, alcohol and passports don't mix well. So if i lost this I wouldn't be too bothered.

:thumb:

(This is assuming your old enough to drink in the first place ed ;) )

I've got a Connexions card (although apparantly they're no longer in use) which has the PASS thing on it.
    I know what you mean about being drunk and having a passport on you though, that's exactly why I was worried. lol

Oi! I'm old enough to drink but at least I'm not from the middle ages. :p
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I've got a Connexions card (although apparantly they're no longer in use) which has the PASS thing on it.
    I know what you mean about being drunk and having a passport on you though, that's exactly why I was worried. lol

Oi! I'm old enough to drink but at least I'm not from the middle ages. :p

I think some places still accept Connexions carss but I'm not 100% sure.
  • Options
  • Options
    I hate when you give them your I.D and they ask your birth date so you tell them and they say 'ARE YOU SURE?'.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    I hate when you give them your I.D and they ask your birth date so you tell them and they say 'ARE YOU SURE?'.
    It's just a way of spooking people. I was told to check their ID and then ask "what's your date of birth" to verify that they knew it without having the card in front of them. Not one person failed that test!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    It's just a way of spooking people. I was told to check their ID and then ask "what's your date of birth" to verify that they knew it without having the card in front of them. Not one person failed that test!

The D.O.B question I can understand but 'are you sure?' seems a tad too patronising and it's not like you can say that cuz they won't let you in and just because I look underage, I have no desire to be spooked. I'm paying to go into their club/bar and don't want to be intimidated by fat, balding men at the door.
  • Options
    I'm paying to go into their club/bar and don't want to be intimidated by fat, balding men at the door.
    You've also got to remember the fat, balding men's agenda. They're nowhere near as attractive as you, and half the others entering that club, are, and want to make you feel inferior, even if it's just for a few seconds. They most likely get a sick buzz out of it. :p
  • Options
    Haha I find that hard to believe but cheers anyway :p
  • Options
    Haha I find that hard to believe but cheers anyway :p
    Well, as far as I'm aware, you're not a fat, balding old git, so you can take it as a compliment. :p