Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hollywood to take smoking into account when rating films

Yet another victory for the Fascists.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6646345.stm

All this serves to do is further advocate the idea that smokers are somehow bad, evil and naughty but don't take it from me, take it from this fucking idiot called Dan Glickman, chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America.
Clearly, smoking is increasingly an unacceptable behaviour in our society

Legal habit = unacceptable social practice?

And I bet this aresehole harps on about tolerance and acceptance about other people's life choices. Just not when it comes to smoking.

What about classic scenes in films throughout the years? Are they going to slap 18 certificates (or R ratings) over Dean, Bogarte, Sinatra et al. simply because they happened to be smoking a fag whilst making time-honoured classic cinema that has been enjoyed by generations?

Unfortunately, as usual, the fascists will get their way.

Discuss.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I for one support this move. I still wake up screaming at night over the scene in Back to the Future when the band Marty was playing with was smoking in between their set.
  • Options
    what a silly idea
  • Options
    Thats kind of retarded really.
  • Options
    I don't agree with this idea.
  • Options
    i think this is an excellent idea. i am offended by smoking. why the fuck should i be FORCED to put up with it when i go the the cinema?

[/whine boo hoo whine]
  • Options
    perhaps fair in films that are rated under 12, as you're supposed to be over 16 to smoke and they may think showing it in films for kids may encourage them to think smoking's cool or something...

otherwise pointless.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Replicant wrote: »
    perhaps fair in films that are rated under 12, as you're supposed to be over 16 to smoke and they may think showing it in films for kids may encourage them to think smoking's cool or something...

otherwise pointless.
    Maybe. But still no IMO. That's ridiculous.
    It's not very different than saying that violence in video games causes crimes; seeing someone smoke isn't going to make you smoke when you otherwise wouldn't, if you have enough brain cells.
  • Options
    Bloody yanks- stealing ideas from the jock executive...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/5252054.stm
  • Options
    Replicant wrote: »

otherwise pointless.

By that logic, we need to put an age restriction on walking past offices, bars, pubs, clubs, restaurants and buildings in general due to the regularilty of people smoking outside them as a result of the ban.
  • Options
    Doesn't surprise me really.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    I for one support this move. I still wake up screaming at night over the scene in Back to the Future when the band Marty was playing with was smoking in between their set.

hahahaha, classic :lol:

This is a fucking stupid idea.
  • Options
    Another retarded idea. By this logic, anything involving driving can't be shown to anyone who's too young to drive. Having said that, they already do this on soaps in this country. You rarely see anyone smoking who's not in their 50's at least, unless it's an anti-smoking storyline.
  • Options
    A silly idea, but hardly "fascist".
  • Options
    Yes, dirty evil fascists... Yet more pain for the most discriminated group on the planet... The smokers! :D Jk

Anyway, I think it's a silly idea, but then I think that a lot of censorship is silly.
  • Options
    Age restrictions aren't censorship though. I would say all actual censorship is silly. But age restrictions aren't. Well, except in this case.
  • Options
    Age restrictions aren't censorship though. I would say all actual censorship is silly. But age restrictions aren't. Well, except in this case.

Well, it's censorship in a way because it's preventing sections of the public from seeing it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    GAH.

Like children don't see it every day on the street.

Makes you wonder... really does.
  • Options

All this serves to do is further advocate the idea that smokers are somehow bad, evil and naughty but don't take it from me, take it from this fucking idiot called Dan Glickman, chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America.

Discuss.

One thing it might help with is not having smoking integrated into a movie just to keep a cigarette company happy that they're getting their money's worth - for instance I think Sly Stallone was being paid $500,000 a year to smoke a particular brand of cigarettes anytime a pack was called for in one of his movies... cos they know he has a huge following and guys who like him will see that's what he smokes in the movies and buy that same brand.
  • Options
    One thing it might help with is not having smoking integrated into a movie just to keep a cigarette company happy that they're getting their money's worth - for instance I think Sly Stallone was being paid $500,000 a year to smoke a particular brand of cigarettes anytime a pack was called for in one of his movies... cos they know he has a huge following and guys who like him will see that's what he smokes in the movies and buy that same brand.

Interesting counter-argument to that : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6157446.stm
  • Options
    To save posting a new thread I'll just tack it on to the end of this.

Apparently they're trying to ban smoking while driving now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6652787.stm

What I love about this article is that they said they hope to cut accidents by bringing in this rule, but have no evidence about the number of accidents attributed to smoking whilst driving! Probably because it's a figure as small as accidents attributed to insects flying into a car and buzzing about.
  • Options
    To save posting a new thread I'll just tack it on to the end of this.

Apparently they're trying to ban smoking while driving now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6652787.stm

What I love about this article is that they said they hope to cut accidents by bringing in this rule, but have no evidence about the number of accidents attributed to smoking whilst driving! Probably because it's a figure as small as accidents attributed to insects flying into a car and buzzing about.

Fucking absurd and no surprise that it's supported by the extremist group, ASH.
  • Options
    Fucking absurd and no surprise that it's supported by the extremist group, ASH.

For me, ASH is up there with Al-Qaeda, PETA and Combat 18. Anti-smoking terrorists.
  • Options
    I don't agree with the suggestion that films with smoking in should be rated higher, but to simply "take it into account" does not seem unreasonable.

And I resent the overuse of terms such as fascist and Nazi for people who don't like smoking. I had a meal disrupted the other day because of people smoking all around on other tables, that's just plain rudeness.
  • Options
    The fact that the Department of Health has even said it would consider banning smoking in private cars is simply astounding. The totalitarianism of the likes of ASH is truly frightening and it's disturbing that the government takes these extremists seriously.

Smokers will accept the ban, for the most part it will be observed. It's been introduced in July so the effect won't be noticed until later in the year anyway when it gets cold. And the government will do everything it can to encourage people to secretly report those not complying with the ban, spying on each other now being a part of our 'healthy' democracy.

But, there has to come a point where smokers (and non-smokers) will see how far things have gone - and smokers get fed up of being treated like shit. Perhaps it'll be when they try and ban smoking in private cars - maybe then the millions of smokers in this country will just say enough is enough and carry on lighting up in the car.
  • Options
    It's nothing to do with smoking, it's about driving safely. If there is evidence that smoking contributes to a number of vehicle accidents, then there is a case to be made. As far as I'm aware no such evidence exists, so people should be able to do what they want until someone proves otherwise. Incidentally what are the laws on eating and drinking in the car? I sometimes have a drink in a cup holder, but I only ever have a drink when I'm waiting at a traffic lights or something. Is that legal?
  • Options
    Surely there are laws about careless and dangerous driving, and if you are driving poorly they cut in (same for mobile phone laws which were a waste of time as well).
  • Options
    I put it to anyone that having children on the back of your car is many times more distracting and dangerous than smoking, drinking, changing radio stations and even driving after having had 1 pint of beer.

I look forward to people demanding children are banned from travelling in cars (unless they are drugged unconscious perhaps).
  • Options
    As ever, another ridicilous idea. Hollywood has no problem whatsoever with glamorising violence, yet when it comes to smoking, they suddenly have the cheek to be high-minded about it. Typical of their warped priorities.
  • Options
    Exactly. Apparently it's okay to own and weapons about but not to smoke.

You have to laugh don't you... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Exactly. Apparently it's okay to own and weapons about but not to smoke.

You have to laugh don't you... :rolleyes:

The gun lobby would never allow guns to be banned in movies. Its bad for business. Guess the tobacco lobby is no longer as strong as it once was. :thumb: