Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Annoyances...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really am getting annoyed at people saying 'literally' in the middle of a story, when they weren't 'literally' doing something.

Like "Oh My God, it was so crazy. People were literally going mental". No they werent. They werent breaking down or going on a mad killing spree smearing shit on themselves.

They were FIGURATIVELY going crazy.

Drives me round the bend. Literally.

Comments

• Options
    I was sunbathing last week and I cooked. Literally.
  • Options
    :yes: unecessary exaggeration annoys me in general, unless it's supposed to be funny. The absolute worst is people saying f***ing in every sentence, it completely takes the effect of the word away.
  • Options
    The absolute worst is people saying f***ing in every sentence, it completely takes the effect of the word away.

Haha, I do that all the time when I'm annoyed. It helps with my anger. :razz:
  • Options
    :yes: unecessary exaggeration annoys me in general, unless it's supposed to be funny. The absolute worst is people saying f***ing in every sentence, it completely takes the effect of the word away.
    This is by far and away the most fucking ridiculous thing that's ever been said in the history of mankind ever. Literally. :angel:
  • Options
    This is by far and away the most fucking ridiculous thing that's ever been said in the history of mankind ever. Literally. :angel:

Certainly is, like.
  • Options
    I have pet hates like that too. Things I cant stand people saying include

To be honest (were you not being honest with me beforehand then??)
    At the end of the day (stupidest expression ever)
    Basically (especially when people over-use this word in essays and get a higher mark than me...Not that I'm bitter or anything)
    Random (no you are not 'random')

grrrr
  • Options
    foxysoxy wrote: »
    I really am getting annoyed at people saying 'literally' in the middle of a story, when they weren't 'literally' doing something.

Like "Oh My God, it was so crazy. People were literally going mental". No they werent. They werent breaking down or going on a mad killing spree smearing shit on themselves.

They were FIGURATIVELY going crazy.

Drives me round the bend. Literally.

haha, i love those little rants, but I see where you are coming from. I see so many native english speakers writing and (probably pronouncing when speaking) would've as "would of".

This literally thing is quite annoying too. Those are just overused words and phrases that everyone seems to overuse.
  • Options

reminds me literally of one of those kxcd comics I posted in waste time.

"where is my fucking jacket?"
    "over there, right next your regular one."
    "what?"
    "nevermind."
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I see so many native english speakers writing and (probably pronouncing when speaking) would've as "would of".

Yep, that is very very common. I actually think that they write it like that because they say it like that though.
  • Options
    Poor spelling really annoys the shit out of me. I'm not talking typos here, but when you get a text from someone saying 'do you wont to come out tonight' ARGH, it's 'want' not 'wont' you ignorant fool!! Also, people not realising the difference between 'there', 'their' and 'they're'. Completely different meanings, people. And it's not that hard to remember them!
  • Options
    you'll like this then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilvy7Ob6fZ0 someone else who hates it when people over use literally :)

dobbin; that really annoys me too, especially once... someone wrote, "know I dont think so" shortly followed by "yeah I no" :banghead:
  • Options
    Replicant wrote: »
    "know I dont think so" shortly followed by "yeah I no" :banghead:

:lol:

bad grammar can piss me off at times ie like the above i would find slightly irritating but generally don't care about it

im guilty of it myself sometimes and bad spelling.. worst part is i used to be excellent at spelling and grammar a few years back.. then discovered weed :mad: (numbers hurt my head now too)
  • Options
    Poor grammar provides me with hours and hours of entertainment when I'm marking. You have to get your kicks somehow in my job!!

It annoys me in shops though when they put apostrophes in the wrong place or they miss them out. Don't they know it changes the whole meaning of the sentence. Dickwads. Literally.
  • Options
    Yep, that is very very common. I actually think that they write it like that because they say it like that though.
    Yup. The 'have' tends to be unstressed in rapid speech, and when it's carried over to written medium, the unstressed 've' seems to be realised as a full word 'of'. It's an interesting interaction of stressed and unstressed stem forms.

Also interesting is 'definately' for 'definitely', as some sort of emphatic pronunciation.
  • Options
    People saying 'basically' a lot.

Bad grammar and spelling.

"Would of" - Oh my GOD this annoys me!
  • Options
    Do you know what I find funny...

People who get so annoyed about this sort of thing. Fair enough its nice to have good spelling and grammar (mine both suck by the way :p )

But people who actually get annoyed if someone puts "there" instead of "their" need to get out more.

Seriously, there's more to life!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »

People who get so annoyed about this sort of thing.

lol yea.. the txt spk bashers are even better
  • Options
    The other week in an english class, one of my friends took it upon herself to slag off the local accent by saying that it didn't have anything to 'offer' (wtf?) in a classroom full of local people. The weird thing is, she's also lived here her whole life yet has an accent posher than the queen (which im certain is put on as her mums from birmingham and her dads welsh!).
    Our english teacher had a go and informed her that accents do have stuff to offer because they come from ancient dialect used in the areas. Soon shut her up.
  • Options
    Words that piss me off when people use them too much in sentences are
    "Init"
    "Fucking"
    "Like"
    "Literally"
    "You know what i mean"
    And when people say man all the time even when they are talkin to girls
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    lol yea.. the txt spk bashers are even better

Alot of that's probably due to 'text talk' being hard to understand though...
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »

People who get so annoyed about this sort of thing. Fair enough its nice to have good spelling and grammar (mine both suck by the way :p )

But people who actually get annoyed if someone puts "there" instead of "their" need to get out more.

Seriously, there's more to life!

:lol: too true
  • Options
    What gets on my nerves is usage of the prefix "re". E.g. "What are we doing re the social event next week?"

I don't mind seeing "re" in email titles because it's short for "reply". If you don't write a new email title, the system automatically puts "re" in front of it. That's fine. But my managering director always substitute "re" for "regarding". It seems to only occur within my company because no one ever uses it outside of my workplace.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    What gets on my nerves is usage of the prefix "re". E.g. "What are we doing re the social event next week?"

I don't mind seeing "re" in email titles because it's short for "reply". If you don't write a new email title, the system automatically puts "re" in front of it. That's fine. But my managering director always substitute "re" for "regarding". It seems to only occur within my company because no one ever uses it outside of my workplace.

I thought that the 're' in email titles was also short for 'regarding', just like when it's used at the top of official type letters. Have I been wrong all these years? Have I actually been teaching my classes wrong? Oh dear.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

It IS used as an abbreviation of 'Regarding' too. It has been in all the workplaces I've, erm, worked in - and being a consultant, that's a lot of places!!

Very commonplace...
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    It IS used as an abbreviation of 'Regarding' too.
    Thank God for that. I don't like being wrong.
  • Options
    I sometimes say, 'yeah LITERALLY' which is really annoying but everyone said it at school and it kinda stuck

i say 'quality' quite a lot and 'elo cherub' urrm and 'arite ?' and 'definately!!'

most frequent phrases are probably 'why the FUCK is my phone?' and 'im confused'
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    People saying 'basically' a lot.

Bad grammar and spelling.

"Would of" - Oh my GOD this annoys me!

See i couldn't give a shit about some ones spelling or bad grammar ... probably cause mine is pretty bad but as long as i can understand it and read it i don't have a problem.

i think people who get pissed off about tiny minor spelling mistakes/ bits of bad grammar need to get a life. not everybody is perfect
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote: »
    Words that piss me off when people use them too much in sentences are
    "Init"
    "Fucking"
    "Like"
    "Literally"
    "You know what i mean"
    And when people say man all the time even when they are talkin to girls

Lol That sounds like me.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    oooo oooo and people that can't differentiate between loose and lose

I think that could be me :D
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    People that use 'like' for ever other word in like every sentence

oooo oooo and people that can't differentiate between loose and lose
    I do the first one, but the second one bugs the hell out of me >.<.