Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Annoyances...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You know what reeeeeeally annoys me. When people write "swop", it's swap you fuckwits.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Lol That sounds like me.

yeh me too :razz:
  • Options
    See i couldn't give a shit about some ones spelling or bad grammar ... probably cause mine is pretty bad but as long as i can understand it and read it i don't have a problem.

i think people who get pissed off about tiny minor spelling mistakes/ bits of bad grammar need to get a life. not everybody is perfect

Ah - look at it from my angle. Imagine you're in a professional work-place and somebody is still using text speak in their emails and letters (for example). You honestly think that is acceptable? Grammar isn't *that* difficult to master, and most internet browsers/email editors have a built in spell checker now, so it really should be no more than a few extra seconds work to get it right. If I received a job application and it was riddled with spelling and punctuation errors, it would simply shout 'Lazy' to me... Not a good start. :rolleyes:

I don't give that much of a shit about it when on here, as it seems quite a few of the people posting have trouble simply stringing a sentence together. Also, a lot of the time it's people quickly banging out their thoughts on something, and so I'm not expecting top class at all! Not everything revolves around TheSite, you know... :nervous:

It is a bit of a shame to see the English language go down the pan, due to what I consider the main reason to be, laziness. Simple as. :(

Hmmm - it seems like the underlying issue is that laziness annoys me. Bugger.

I'll go get a life now, shall I? :yeees: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I really hate it when I'm talking online to someone and they are in such a rush to get out what they want to say that something like "hey, what's up?" comes out like "ehy wahtsu p?" Are you really in that much of a rush that you can't attempt to type normal speed or go back and fix your epic typos? Are you attempting to juggle while typing? What gives?
  • Options
    when you walk upstairs / different room to find that you have left what you went for there, like my drink :(
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Alot of that's probably due to 'text talk' being hard to understand though...

bla bla bla
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    People that use 'like' for ever other word in like every sentence

oooo oooo and people that can't differentiate between loose and lose

And when people put it at the end of sentences. Luckily, I've never actually heard anybody say it, it's just on here that I see it. But damn its annoying. I wouldn't be able to listen to somebody if they did that. I fail to see the point. It's not an emphasis on anything in the sentence, its not explaining anything, it's just adding a random word at the end. Might as just end the sentence with drooling. And when people on here used the word proper in every sentence. Similar to the like bit, only used proper instead, or if something was like proper cool, like.

And this guy at work nearly jumps up the wall any time you walk around the corner. He seems to be scared of his own shadow and I just want to strangle him and ask why hes such a nervous reck.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote: »
    And this guy at work nearly jumps up the wall any time you walk around the corner. He seems to be scared of his own shadow and I just want to strangle him and ask why hes such a nervous reck.
    Maybe you should do them in the opposite order; in that one you'll never get an answer. :p
  • Options
    I can't stand the over-use of so.

So, I was talking to John...etc

It's very American and people seem to see it as an appopriate way of starting a sentence.
  • Options
    Got a new one.

The lifts in my building are broken, so we've got one between 10 floors, and obviously they get busy and take forever. Really gets on my nerves when you wait ages for your lift on the ground floor to go up to the 7th or 8th and someone else comes in and goes to the first floor.

Those few seconds extra waiting really piss me off because they could have walked 10 steps and got there. Lazy tramps.

But then, I hate sharing lifts with people...i'm always evil and pray that the doors shut really quickly or press the close door button like a thousand times.
  • Options
    Not that it gets on my nerves or anything, but I find that too many people get its/it's mixed up, or they just simply write "its" in every instance.

It's a nice day today. (it is)
    The cat bit its tail. (possession)
    It's annoying that this had to happen. (it is)
    Did the machine run its course correctly? (possession)
    It's meaningless. (it is)
    Does Channel 4 has its own news programme? (posession)

That's 3 examples of each. Too hard to follow?
  • Options
    What annoys me most is stuck up people who think they are the bees knees.

Also people who get annoyed at trivial things like the aforementioned things.

Who gives a fuck if someone says "their" instead of "there? Catch a grip.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Not that it gets on my nerves or anything, but I find that too many people get its/it's mixed up, or they just simply write "its" in every instance.

It's a nice day today. (it is)
    The cat bit its tail. (possession)
    It's annoying that this had to happen. (it is)
    Did the machine run its course correctly? (possession)
    It's meaningless. (it is)
    Does Channel 4 has its own news programme? (posession)

That's 3 examples of each. Too hard to follow?
    When moaning about other people's grammar, one shouldn't really make grammatical errors. Kinda steps on your point somewhat!! Methinks you mean, 'Does Channel 4 have its own news programme?' (possession). ;) :razz: ;)
  • Options
    What do you do at Uni yerascrote?
  • Options
    What do you do at Uni yerascrote?

Modern History and Politics.

Why you ask?
  • Options
    My biggest bugbear is when people pronounce 'anything' with a 'F' in the middle and a 'K' on the end. It takes as much effort to say 'anyfink' as it does to saying 'anything' so why do they do it!??

Oh and another irritation of mine is when people use 'then' instead of 'than' - 'my house is bigger then yours'.... arrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!! *rage* IT'S 'THAN'!!!!!!
  • Options
    Oh and another irritation of mine is when people use 'then' instead of 'than' - 'my house is bigger then yours'.... arrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!! *rage* IT'S 'THAN'!!!!!!

I've never understood how anyone can get those 2 mixed up.
  • Options
    I think it's to do with pronunciation. I think people pronounce it as 'thun' so the 'e' and 'a' get confused.... oh I dunno. It still fucks me off lol.
  • Options
    I hate hate hate when people put 'more' in front of adjectives that end in 'er', like 'more choosier'. My evolutionary psych lecturer says that ALL THE FRICKIN time and it pisses me off to the max. It actually makes me cringe. IT MAKES NO SENSE!!! God damn grammar fiends
  • Options
    My biggest bugbear is when people pronounce 'anything' with a 'F' in the middle and a 'K' on the end. It takes as much effort to say 'anyfink' as it does to saying 'anything' so why do they do it!??

Oh that makes me so mad. The only reason why anybody should ever say f instead of th is if they have no tongue. And if they do, then they don't deserve a tongue. :p I don't care if it's your "accent" or not. Thats not an accent, its a self imposed speech impediment. You know your teachers didn't say it was ok to talk like that when you were little :p

I used to work with this guy from the "souf side" (as that was his excuse to why he talked like that... Of course I reminded him his cousin was quite articulate.) I gave him so much shit he eventually learned to speak like a nonretard when he talked to me ;)

I could hardly watch Dr Who for the last 2 seasons due to that horrid girl and her mouthfullofspitfspeaking voice. Oh she drove me mad. I got angry watching that show. I actually never even had a problem with the f/th thing before that show. I can't fathom somebody speaking like that all the time. [/rant]
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    The only reason why anybody should ever say f instead of th is if they have no tongue.

Nah. I was born to live with hearing aids for life, and only have ~10% sight in my one remaining eye. Obviously, sign language and lipreading weren't options to me. There are a number of words I have never been able to pronounce right and that includes words with TH.
  • Options
    My boyfriend says 'somefink' but i think it's to do with his accent. He laughs at things i say strangely. But i don't get my grammar mixed up. I'm too laid back to really care about how people talk.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Modern History and Politics.

Why you ask?
    Ok, if I said the leader of the Labour Party was George Bush, or that WW2 started in 1938, you'd correct me, right? Cause obviously, these things I've said are wrong. It's exactly the same with language. The use of 'their' and 'they're' and 'there' are all totally different, and each one has it's own particularly correct usage. Even though it might not be a major issue to most people, I can't understand why people get like 'don't get your knickers in a twist about it' when it comes to language, when if people were stating incorrect facts about their own subject or area of expertise, they would correct that individual. Or maybe that's just me.
  • Options
    Ok, if I said the leader of the Labour Party was George Bush, or that WW2 started in 1938, you'd correct me, right? Cause obviously, these things I've said are wrong. It's exactly the same with language. The use of 'their' and 'they're' and 'there' are all totally different, and each one has it's own particularly correct usage. Even though it might not be a major issue to most people, I can't understand why people get like 'don't get your knickers in a twist about it' when it comes to language, when if people were stating incorrect facts about their own subject or area of expertise, they would correct that individual. Or maybe that's just me.

I can see where you're coming from but a lot of people who are clever at English also have that problem. What would annoy more if I was you is some one who thinks Shakespeare only died last century or something similar.
  • Options
    Well, you asked... :razz:

1) 'Busy' business people. There's one on every train shuffling their papers and constantly on their mobile phone for no reason other than the benefit of those around them "oh yah Phil, so hows that deal coming along? You know the one that will mean I'll get 50k a year. Oh yar, brill *name drop name drop* etc etc..". It makes me laugh out loud it's so pathetic.

2) Drummers who think they are God's gift and that their sole talent holds the whole band together... when in reality they have the rhythm of an epileptic koala.

3) Mainly a London thing, definitely something I noticed (and became infuriated by) when I was down there. Blokes who - at the merest hint of a spot of rain - walk through busy streets with a huge feck off umbrella, knocking everybody out of the way, getting people's hair caught in the spokes etc... all the while being cocooned within their own private biosphere of smugness. Umbrellas with the logo of some lame financial institute plastered all over it are especially hateful. To name names, Merrill Lynch. In the event of ML suing thesite, you might want to try the "well then you should stop giving out massive umbrellas to dickheads" defence.

4) Lane hoggers.

5) Shopping for jeans. WHY is it so impossible? Frustration!

6) Litterbugs. Use the bin, it's not difficult. If there's no bin then save your litter 'til you find one you irresponsible idiot.

7) People answering their mobiles whilst I'm half way through a conversation with them. Ignorant.

8) Jose Mourinho.

9) House prices.

10) Seeing signs written all in capitals with the 'I' dotted like in lowercase. Byker £ shop I am looking at you! :lol:

11) Drunk men in pubs who just wont leave you alone and when you ask them nicely to naff off they start shouting "you're no better than me you know. YOU SCHLAG". No I don't think I am better than you, I would just like to be left in peace.

12) People who mistreat their fellow humans and animals.

13) People who get off buses and trains and just stop in their tracks being gormless instead of moving so everyone else can get off. My dear departed Nana broke her arm because of someone just stopping like this.

14) Traffic lights on roundabouts.

15) Did I say traffic lights on roundabouts?

16) Freaks who play "chicken" with the metro doors. You hear that beeping sound? That means the doors are about to close. Why do you think that you can leap through the doors without getting a limb or your hideous oversized laptop bag caught? Surely these people are the missing link...

17) GPs who just hand out antibiotics like smarties. Thats part of the reason why we have all these superbugs, dumbass.

18) Chewing gum like a cow chewing cud. Class act.

19) Ashley Peacock from Coronation Street.

20) Reverse snobbery being wholly acceptable. It's almost fashionable to look down on people who try to better themselves. This is the time of the knuckle-dragger and airhead.

21) Tradespeople who make you feel like they are doing you a HUGE favour by plastering/plumbing etc and seem to forget that they agreed to take the job and are being paid handsomely. Your doctor doesn't make you feel like they're doing you the ultimate service when they write a prescription, and your doctor doesn't usually milk you for 25 cups of tea and 5 packs of biccies ;)

22) People (usually male) who sniff and sniff and sniff. USE A TISSUE. I always end up offering them a snotrag as alternatively I'd have to deck 'em.

23) People who are completely spatially unaware. Those ones that have no idea what they are doing physically and end up causing a hazard. Or those that just stop dead at the door of shops - either going in or out, and you're right behind them. Or people who stop dead in the middle of the street, or wait for a bus in the middle of a street, so you have to get round them, particularly when it is crowded... You should apply the same rules of walking to driving - look behind when you stop and only do it at a convenient point, when you are not going to cause inconvenience to another pedestrian. It ain't rocket science.

24) People (one in particular) who leave used teabags on the worktop and leave the breadbag open. God that gets my goat, I think I inherited it from me mother :D

25) People who express their regret about having twins. "I'm so sorry" etc. Not sure where they're coming from with that.

26) SHOUTERS.

Er, it looks like it's just "people" in general really... doesn't it? It's been one of those days...
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    briggi wrote: »
    Well, you asked... :razz:

1) 'Busy' business people. There's one on every train shuffling their papers and constantly on their mobile phone for no reason other than the benefit of those around them "oh yah Phil, so hows that deal coming along? You know the one that will mean I'll get 50k a year. Oh yar, brill *name drop name drop* etc etc..". It makes me laugh out loud it's so pathetic.

2) Drummers who think they are God's gift and that their sole talent holds the whole band together... when in reality they have the rhythm of an epileptic koala.

3) Mainly a London thing, definitely something I noticed (and became infuriated by) when I was down there. Blokes who - at the merest hint of a spot of rain - walk through busy streets with a huge feck off umbrella, knocking everybody out of the way, getting people's hair caught in the spokes etc... all the while being cocooned within their own private biosphere of smugness. Umbrellas with the logo of some lame financial institute plastered all over it are especially hateful. To name names, Merrill Lynch. In the event of ML suing thesite, you might want to try the "well then you should stop giving out massive umbrellas to dickheads" defence.

Lane hoggers.

Shopping for jeans. WHY is it so impossible? Frustration!

Litterbugs. Use the bin, it's not difficult. If there's no bin then save your litter 'til you find one you irresponsible idiot.

People answering their mobiles whilst I'm half way through a conversation with them. Ignorant.

Jose Mourinho.

House prices.

Seeing signs written all in capitals with the 'I' dotted like in lowercase. Byker £ shop I am looking at you! :lol:

Drunk men in pubs who just wont leave you alone and when you ask them nicely to naff off they start shouting "you're no better than me you know. YOU SCHLAG". No I don't think I am better than you, I would just like to be left in peace.

People who mis-treat fellow humans and animals.

People who get off buses and trains and just stop in their tracks being gormless instead of moving so everyone else can get off. My dear departed Nana broke her arm because of someone just stopping like this.

Traffic lights on roundabouts.

Did I say traffic lights on roundabouts?

Freaks who play "chicken" with the metro doors. You hear that beeping sound? That means the doors are about to close. Why do you think that you can leap through the doors without getting a limb or your hideous oversized laptop bag caught? Surely these people are the missing link...

GPs who just hand out antibiotics like smarties. Thats part of the reason why we have all these superbugs, dumbass.

Chewing gum like a cow chewing cud. Class act.

Ashley Peacock from Coronation Street.

Reverse snobbery being wholly acceptable. It's almost fashionable to look down on people who try to better themselves. This is the time of the knuckle-dragger and airhead.

Tradespeople who make you feel like they are doing you a HUGE favour by plastering/plumbing etc and seem to forget that they agreed to take the job and are being paid handsomely. Your doctor doesn't make you feel like they're doing you the ultimate service when they write a prescription, and your doctor doesn't usually milk you for 25 cups of tea and 5 packs of biccies ;)

People (usually male) who sniff and sniff and sniff. USE A TISSUE. I always end up offering them a snotrag as alternatively I'd have to deck 'em.

People who are completely spatially unaware. Those ones that have no idea what they are doing physically and end up causing a hazard. Or those that just stop dead at the door of shops - either going in or out, and you're right behind them. Or people who stop dead in the middle of the street, or wait for a bus in the middle of a street, so you have to get round them, particularly when it is crowded... You should apply the same rules of walking to driving - look behind when you stop and only do it at a convenient point, when you are not going to cause inconvenience to another pedestrian. It ain't rocket science.

People (one in particular) who leave used teabags on the worktop and leave the breadbag open. God that gets my goat, I think I inherited it from me mother :D

It's been one of those days...

WOW thats a big list, I can see where your coming from with most of them.
  • Options
    GPs who just hand out antibiotics like smarties. Thats part of the reason why we have all these superbugs, dumbass.

I'm sure I've experienced this as well. I went back to the doctor last week because the medication I was on was making me worse. I got told 'oh we have no idea what's wrong with you' but she still gave me some medication. (which has done sod all apart from give me terrible wind):rolleyes:

Me telling the doctor that I'm lactose intolerant but him still giving me tablets with lactose in them.:confused:

Ignorant people. (not the people that don't talk when you say something to them, but the people don't understand don't wish to type)

Hypocrites. A girl I know had a go at me because I wasn't sharing a book (because of my eyesight I can't) and she telling me that I'm selfish, yet doesn't share a book with anyone. She also claims to have bad eyesight as well.:rolleyes:

People who talk their sex life when no-one is clearly interested.

Attention seekers.
  • Options

And this is when it's not that time of the month.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    And this is when it's not that time of the month.

:lol:

One I forgot:

People who claim to be Man U 'fans' when they're clearly glory supporters. (I think most of them are just old enough to remember when they started winning the Premiership and stuff)
  • Options
    Oooooh one of briggi's just reminded me of one:

People who come thru drive-thru and answer their phone while I'm taking their order. Then when I say "would you like anything else?" look at me like I'm really rude.

OH and the man who today parked in the bay where we park our held orders, so we don't hold up the drive-thru for ages while their food is getting ready. Him and someone else parked in both our bays. So when they got back to their cars, I was told to go and (nicely) tell them that they shouldn't have parked there, and to not do it next time. The second guy was really nice and apologised and said "I didn't see the yellow lines". The FIRST GUY, eugh. I walked up to him and he said "you're going to tell me off now aren't you? It's a bit late for that", "well, I didn't see you come in", "well, don't bother, there weren't any other spaces to park in (there were, as it happens, and even if there weren't that's not my problem, he shouldn't have parked there)". Then he slammed the door in my face and drove off. I *hate* people who are rude like that. I was just doing my job. And some guy this morning said I was ripping him off because he ordered a "sausage muffin, no egg, extra sausage", so I said to the boy serving him that that was a double sausage, no egg, because I knew he'd get told off if he put it through the way the man said it. He went off on one about how I was ripping him off and that eggs are more expensive than meat (really not). I'm just doing my job, arsehole. GOD.

/rant.