Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Benefit Fraud

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    You think someone can live on £30/week? :eek:

Its more than I had. EMA wasn't around when I was a student and I bought most of my own things. I lived off my part-time wage of £90 a week.

I understand where you are coming from and I realise some students can't work for various reasons but tbh, if their situation was that bad, they'd claim income support and study a course part time or something.
  • Options
    You can only claim income support if you're incapable of work.
  • Options
    I am aware of that. If a student is really struggling for money though then they should just get a job rather than whinging. Its what I had to do. If they are living alone and have alot of outgoings then they can work full time and do a part time course. Plenty of people do it.
  • Options
    The person I know is also in receipt of income support as well as JSA whilst being a full time student....

Oh and Blagsta. I'm not being petty - she's commiting benefit fraud which is a crime.
  • Options
    You can't claim both income support and JSA? :confused:

How has she managed to do that? Aren't they both dealt with in the same office?
  • Options
    You can't claim IS and JSA at the same time, unless you claim under different identities. It's hardly the crime of the century is it? Studying over the 16 hours allowed. How much over 16 hours is she studying?

I take it, you see nothing wrong with the system as it is?
  • Options
    You can claim IS or IB while studying full time. You sure she isn't claiming one of these? You positive it's JSA?
  • Options
    I think it depends how much IS they are entitled to. If someone is on a higher level of IS (e.g. they have disabilty premiums) and they were actively seeking work then they would get JSA and then IS with a subtraction of the amount paid in JSA I believe.
  • Options
    Are you sure? AFAIK, IS is for people who can't work, but don't qualify for IB.
  • Options
    You can't claim IS and JSA at the same time, unless you claim under different identities. It's hardly the crime of the century is it? Studying over the 16 hours allowed. How much over 16 hours is she studying?

I take it, you see nothing wrong with the system as it is?

Just because there are problems with the current system, that doesn't justify people conning the system.
  • Options
    Just because there are problems with the current system, that doesn't justify people conning the system.

Claiming while studying is not "conning the system". As you know, you can claim JSA if you study under 16 hours/week. If someone is studying 16 1/2 hours, does it suddenly become immoral? Most FE colleges will write you a letter stating you are studying less than 16 hours/week, even if it's more. Most jobcenter staff know this. Are they all "conning the system"?
  • Options
    Are you sure? AFAIK, IS is for people who can't work, but don't qualify for IB.

I'm not 100% sure but I get IS with a couple of premiums added (disability premium and severe disability premium - both paid on the basis that I get DLA which can be claimed whilst working). I assume that if I became well enough to work but still "disabled" in the benefit sense that I'd get JSA plus IS minus the amount paid as JSA but I might be wrong. I know that my IS level is higher than IB so if I qualified for IB I'd be paid that and then the IS minus the amount received for IB i.e. I'd get the same amount of money so it wouldn't make any difference to my income anyway.
  • Options
    I'm talking about in general, not about this specific case.

If you must know, I do feel as though there should be a bit of leeway regarding how many hours you study but yanno, rules are rules. They should be abided by.

In this case though, it just seems as though this girl is conning the system for everything she can get.
  • Options
    Income Support can be used as a 'top up'. The government decide how much you need to live on, called an Applicable Amount. You get premiums added to this for ilness, disability, partner (non working), children etc. which increases your Applicable Amount. If your income is below this Applicable Amount, then it is 'topped up' using Income Support.

For instance (these aren't actual benefit rates)

The Gov. says you need £50 a week to live on. You have a disability so they add a premium of £25 a week so your Applicable Amount is £75 a week. Your income is £65 a week so they pay you Income Support of £10 a week.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Income Support can be used as a 'top up'. The government decide how much you need to live on, called an Applicable Amount. You get premiums added to this for ilness, disability, partner (non working), children etc. which increases your Applicable Amount. If your income is below this Applicable Amount, then it is 'topped up' using Income Support.

The Gov. says you need £50 a week to live on. You have a disability so they add a premium of £25 a week so your Applicable Amount is £75 a week. Your income is £65 a week so they pay you Income Support of £10 a week.

You managed to say what I was trying to say in a much more consise way :thumb:
  • Options
    I'm talking about in general, not about this specific case.

If you must know, I do feel as though there should be a bit of leeway regarding how many hours you study but yanno, rules are rules. They should be abided by.

This seems rather contradictory.
    In this case though, it just seems as though this girl is conning the system for everything she can get.

Except we don't know anything of the sort - we just have a few confused posts from Ilora-Danon.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »

However, you can't claim JSA and IS at the same time AFAIK.
  • Options
    Sorry to sound thick but you've said it several times in this thread, what does AFAIK stand for? :razz:
  • Options

I don't think you could claim them both in a fradulent way but surely the JSA amount comes off the IS so with premiums on the IS then you could?
  • Options
    Sorry to sound thick but you've said it several times in this thread, what does AFAIK stand for? :razz:

as far as I know
  • Options

That i don't know. I know the rate of JSA is higher than IS so if you were claiming JSA and had no disability, kids etc then you would definitely not get it. But as Random pointed out, you might get premiums added to your applicable amount, making it possible.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    as far as I know

Haha, thank you :blush:
  • Options
    People who are required to be available for work are not normally entitled to Income Support. Instead they will need to claim Jobseeker?s Allowance (JSA).
    http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Partners/Allowancesandbenefits/Dev_010009.xml.html

However, benefits rules are complex and JCP workers always seem to give different answers, depending on who you ask.
  • Options
    Illora - Unless she is claiming under a fake national insurance number there is no way on earth she gets both IS and JSA. It sounds like crap to me basically. If she had the wits and ability to obtain and use a fake national insurance number theres no way she would let it slip at a JSA appt that she was at college as well.

Income support is about £10 a week more than JSA is for under 25's. Currently stands at about £57.45 a week. I have heard of Income Support being paid in place of Incapacity Benefit when the claimant has insufficient National Insurance Contributions but you basically get either JSA or IS. The two benefits contradict each other and so are never paid together.

I personally believe that no-one should claim than they are more entitled to - threads like this are an easy way to get everyone fired up. I know that its the huge businesses and company directors that cos the government more tax wise in the year than the single mum working on the sly as a cleaner.

I've seen many DWP interviews under caution through work. The rubbish people come out with is unbelievable sometimes but if the investigator believes that the claimant honestly knew no better then all they will do is seek to recover the overpayment rather than drag it through courts.
  • Options
    You don't have to pay bills, rent, buy your food, buy your own clothes, pay for your own travel, buy your own books etc.

There are lots of people studying at FE colleges who do have to pay for all those things.

I think you find some students have to pay for these things. I have to pay for my travel & buy own clothes and books.
    they should just get a job rather than whinging

Which is impossible because I only get 2 and a half days off school a week (jncluding weekends) and I have homework to do. Besides, most jobs want you to work Saturday & Sunday - that would mean I'd just spend my whole week working/studying.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    I'd love to know where you get your facts from I'll give you I don't pay bills or rent (until I start sixth form and get a job when I will be contributing to both) but I pay for all the other stuff you've just listed and I don't get EMA or money from the parents
    how are you paying then?
  • Options
    did I say all do? no.

It would appear that it's what you think from your posts. I would also add, that there are plenty of adults in FE education as well.

I'd love to know where you get your facts from I'll give you I don't pay bills or rent (until I start sixth form and get a job when I will be contributing to both) but I pay for all the other stuff you've just listed and I don't get EMA or money from the parents

So you don't pay rent, bills or food. Sounds like you have it very cushy then.
    :yes: blagsta you would have had to get by before such options come avaliable so not to sure what the problem is with doing so now?

I know how much of a struggle it is, both from personal experience and from being employed as an education & employment advisor for 3 years. A lot of people do study over 16 hours and claim, colleges collude with it, so do jobcentres.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I think you find some students have to pay for these things. I have to pay for my travel & buy own clothes and books..

Rent and bills is the main expense out of that. There is no way anyone could live on £30/week - which was my original point.
  • Options
    I think it's very hard for mature students (by that I mean those who don't live at home and have to pay for their own upkeep) to get back into study. EMA is only for people aged 16 to 19 isn't it?

If you are in FE college rather than uni, you can't get a student loan. So people are encouraged to stay in low-wage jobs rather than go back to college and study.

Having said that, I don't agree with benefit fraud. But there should be some sort of help for people who want to study to better themselves, maybe some sort of loan system similar to the student loan for university.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I think you find some students have to pay for these things. I have to pay for my travel & buy own clothes and books.

Which is impossible because I only get 2 and a half days off school a week (jncluding weekends) and I have homework to do. Besides, most jobs want you to work Saturday & Sunday - that would mean I'd just spend my whole week working/studying.

So? I only had weekends off, whats your point? Its hardly "impossible". Infact, alot of students do it :rolleyes: I worked Friday night then all weekend whilst studying my A Levels. Most students do it, I did. I didn't have a choice, I needed the money.

I fit my homework in my free periods and ALL 6th form students have (and anyone who claims they are in college lessons 40 hours a week is lying) free periods. Its about managing the free time you do actually have.