Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Benefit Fraud

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Someone I know has been committing benefit fraud (JSA) since Sept 06, up until a few days ago when she told her personal advisor (in confidence, she naively thought) that she was attending college full time and claiming JSA concurrently.
Obviously, her advisor told the authorities, and she's now in masses of trouble with the law.

My question is, what's going to happen to her?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Well, for one, as she deliberately did not inform the authorities that her circumstances had changed, she will be forced to repay all the the money she claimed since September.
  • Options
    a taped interview under caution
    She mentioned that to me today, but I wasn't sure what that meant.

She was also 'done' for tax evasion a few months ago, after not 'realising' she had to pay her taxes.

Would that contribute to her current situation?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I would think it would go against her. Why did she do it? Was it simple naivity or was it deliberate? I am assuming it is the latter.

She will be in serious trouble so I would recommend she sought legal advice.
  • Options
    Its highly likely, yes.
  • Options
    My aunty got done for benefit fraud and she ended up in court.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I would think it would go against her. Why did she do it? Was it simple naivity or was it deliberate? I am assuming it is the latter.

She will be in serious trouble so I would recommend she sought legal advice.
    She was claiming JSA knowingly, but is so dippy/flighty/off the wall that she didn't really think about it's illegality...
    The tax thing though, she genuinely was naive about and had no idea what tax really was and who has to pay it etc.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks GWST :)
  • Options
    I know of someone claiming JSA while on a full-time college course, because there was no other way she could afford to continue it.

I don't really see it as a problem... once she's gone through Uni, she'll be paying back a lot more in taxes than she would have been if she dropped out of college.
  • Options
    Levi wrote: »
    I know of someone claiming JSA while on a full-time college course, because there was no other way she could afford to continue it.

I don't really see it as a problem... once she's gone through Uni, she'll be paying back a lot more in taxes than she would have been if she dropped out of college.

That doesn't make it right, that doesn't make it legal, and that doesn't mean she isn't going to get done when she gets caught.
  • Options

There is help available. EMA is available to students from low income families and most students have a job nowadays. I worked 3 times a week whilst at college. There is no excuse for claiming something you are not entitled to tbh.
  • Options

I have to pay about £600 a month in taxes, why should I pay for someone who chooses to defraud the system and chooses to go back into education?

It pisses me off so much when you see all this stuff about tax credits for workers e.t.c. but someone like me doesn't get jack shit. I'm penalised because I work hard and earn a modest wage, whilst some dosser layabout can claim a free house and free money. And then to top it off you get people like your mate who cheat the system anyway.:mad:
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm angry about the person I know who's being fraudulent. Mainly because I was on JSA myself, and signed off the day I started college (and am unable to work during full time course due to health reasons) She however, has carried on claiming. It isn't fair, and it isn't moral. I just hope she has to pay back the money she took.
  • Options

Why do you see it as 'right'?:rolleyes:

Someone correct if I'm wrong here, but as a student can't you get grant or something if you really are struggling eith money? (or is that just a uni thing?)
  • Options
    Tax evasion :chin:

Not being funny and assuming it's income tax, but it would have to be something pretty major to be "done" for that - sounds like she's been talking it up a bit. To actually be taken to court rather than agree a settlement with HMRC you are talking big money - not the type of money a student claiming JSA on the sly earns.

I expect she will be made to repay the JSA. I'm guessing 26wks at about £45 a week be around £1,170 to pay back, plus whatever penalties are imposed. I'm assuming she has also told the college she's claiming JSA and now they will want their course / tuiton fees back. I don't know if they would bother taking that small an amount to court to be honest - I would expect slapped wrists, black mark against your name and a repayment plan instigated seeing as she has admitted the benefit fraud.
  • Options
    Someone I know has been committing benefit fraud (JSA) since Sept 06, up until a few days ago when she told her personal advisor (in confidence, she naively thought) that she was attending college full time and claiming JSA concurrently.
    Obviously, her advisor told the authorities, and she's now in masses of trouble with the law.

My question is, what's going to happen to her?

Ask her to get her college tutor to write a letter stating that her course is less than 16 hours/week. Most colleges will oblige. Sorted.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm angry about the person I know who's being fraudulent. Mainly because I was on JSA myself, and signed off the day I started college (and am unable to work during full time course due to health reasons) She however, has carried on claiming. It isn't fair, and it isn't moral. I just hope she has to pay back the money she took.

Why does it bother you? You're being well snide IMO.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    you are right, as long as you're household income is below £30k p.a. then anyone in full time education is entitled to ema money which can be up to £30 per week for staying in education

Ooooh, a whole £30/week! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    My mates getting done for benefit fraud, claiming to have lost cheques the dole gave him..and getting more, but the long runs the fox and he got caught in the end.

Hasn't been up yet though.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Why does it bother you? You're being well snide IMO.
    It bothers me because I had to sign off, and lose £44.50 a week, when she hasn't.

And she'll get thrown off the course if our tutor found out, which is why she hasn't told her. (and our course is 25 hours over 3 days, not 16 hours a week)
  • Options
    out of curosity .. how much does benefit fraud amass to?

couldn't find exact figures for now but it cost the taxpayer 36.7 million in 2004 for the royal family and their farting about.. imo its a complete and utter waste of money..

why doesn't anyone seem to care about that?
  • Options
    £700,000,000 for the, i assume, financial year 2005-2006.
  • Options
    z- wrote: »

couldn't find exact figures for now but it cost the taxpayer 36.7 million in 2004 for the royal family and their farting about.. imo its a complete and utter waste of money..

that does annoy me tbh
  • Options
    It bothers me because I had to sign off, and lose £44.50 a week, when she hasn't

And she'll get thrown off the course if our tutor found out, which is why she hasn't told her. (and our course is 25 hours over 3 days, not 16 hours a week)

So it bothers you 'cos she's getting something you're not?

How petty.
  • Options
    Sorry it's not good enough for you but I didnt make the rules and £30 is more than some get - better than nothing (I won't get anything nor will most of my mates). So go complain to EMA for giving you free money for doing something you would do anyway

You think someone can live on £30/week? :eek:
  • Options
    z- wrote: »

Benefit fraud = £700 million per year
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/campaigns/benefit-thieves/

Pensioners 'fail to claim' benefits worth £4.2 Billion per year
    http://society.guardian.co.uk/social...056810,00.html

Total unclaimed benefits = £7 billon per year
    http://www.channel4.com/money/feature.jsp?id=416

Tax avoidance = between £82 - £150 Billion last year.
    http://comment.independent.co.uk/col...cle2439509.ece
  • Options
    Sorry it's not good enough for you but I didnt make the rules and £30 is more than some get - better than nothing (I won't get anything nor will most of my mates). So go complain to EMA for giving you free money for doing something you would do anyway

well if you're not entitled to the 30 a week that would suggest you and your mates come from families with a much higher income, so you wouldn't struggle anywhere near as much as the lower income ones would without ?
  • Options
    of course you couldn't but every little helps (tescos haha) and you can get a part time job a the same time, it's mainly for 6th form students I would have thought so most would still be living at home and provided for there too, its assistance and better than nothing not live of it or die

All 6th form students live at home?
  • Options
    thats the theory but we dont get "pocket money" as such or any parental assistance other than food so its no less of a struggle than anyone else to survive

You don't have to pay bills, rent, buy your food, buy your own clothes, pay for your own travel, buy your own books etc.

There are lots of people studying at FE colleges who do have to pay for all those things.