Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Worrying About Your Appearance

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm never going to have that coveted and ubiqituous "perfect body" that could double for a magazine spread now; but it can run and skip, bear and nourish children, clean windows and get particularly tricky tops off jars of beetroot, dance the tango and swim twenty laps in a pool. What is not to be completely enamoured of?

Is this bit too long for POTW? :chin:
  • Options
    I used to worry but as I've got older I've become alot more comfortable in my own skin and happy with the way I look. I know I'm not perfect but nobody is.
  • Options
    FireyFrienze... I agree completly, definatly worthy of POTW.
    It was a child's body and then an awkward teenager's body that was in turns flaunted and hidden away and now it's the body of a woman and a mother and it amazes me. I'm never going to have that coveted and ubiqituous "perfect body" that could double for a magazine spread now; but it can run and skip, bear and nourish children, clean windows and get particularly tricky tops off jars of beetroot, dance the tango and swim twenty laps in a pool. What is not to be completely enamoured of?

I reckon that bit would do. :thumb: Really lovely. :)

To be honest I don't really understand about this 'worrying' about appearance. Some days I look in the mirror and I think 'Shit I look like someone's added my face on as an after-thought'... Sometimes I feel self-concious about certain areas of my body, like my arse. But I can't say I worry about it. I mean bits aren't gunna suddenly drop off or explode... that would be worrying. :nervous:
    Even if I'm having one of those days where I feel I should wear a paper-bag over my head it sort of washes over me... cos at the end of the day it's not that important; and I know that I'm most likely being way more critical of myself than anyone else would be and focusing on the parts which no-one else is looking at.

Rachael, I sympathise with the looking young for your age... The other week at work a woman walked into the changing rooms where I was on duty, and she said to her daughter 'Oh god, see she's wearing the same top as this and she looks about 12!' I couldn't believe how fucking rude some people are... I think it's jealousy to be honest. I just laugh it off if I get comments. But I still sometimes feel like people don't take me as seriously and I have to ward off feeling inferior.
  • Options
    Rachael, I sympathise with the looking young for your age... The other week at work a woman walked into the changing rooms where I was on duty, and she said to her daughter 'Oh god, see she's wearing the same top as this and she looks about 12!' I couldn't believe how fucking rude some people are... I think it's jealousy to be honest. I just laugh it off if I get comments. But I still sometimes feel like people don't take me as seriously and I have to ward off feeling inferior.

:eek2: Some people are just horrid.
  • Options
    Of course everyone worries to a degree, you wouldn't go on a night out looking like you do when you're just lazing about the house.

I've always been comfortable with who I am, sure I may be a wee runt but fuck it, no one's perfect...except Maggie Thatcher. Phwoar!
  • Options
    God, I wish I could love my body despite being a mother, if anything motherhood just fucks it up even more. I love my children more than anything in the world, but bearing children is NOT good for the figure and ive been prone to body issues way before my babies came along and I wish they went away but they didnt.
  • Options
    i always worry about if i have food in my teeth or if there's toilet paper under my shoe. haha, other than that, own what you got and sell yourself!
  • Options
    I can empathise with you Rach, I got IDd to buy filter tips yesterday and I'm 24. very embarassing, I think I look my age. I have also had a council bloke ask me why I'm not at school and been IDd for fags/alcohol in the last six months. Seriously, I think I look 24- what are they lookin at?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I can empathise with you Rach, I got IDd to buy filter tips yesterday and I'm 24. very embarassing, I think I look my age. I have also had a council bloke ask me why I'm not at school and been IDd for fags/alcohol in the last six months. Seriously, I think I look 24- what are they lookin at?

Ahh I feel your pain!

The hairdresser the other day didn't speak one word to me while she was doing my hair. Then when I go to pay says 'how old are you?' - 20. 'Ohh I'm so sorry..I thought you were much younger!'..So if I hadnt looked like I was a kid she would have had the politeness to converse with me? Some folk piss me off so much.
  • Options
    Ah i worry all ze time. I hate seeing pics of myself cos i just analyze everything. I worry that my eyes are puffy, i worry about my skin, i worry about whether my make ups right, i worry if i look orange, i worry that my hair looks rough, i worry about the fact my legs are getting less fat therefore making my bum look mahooosive. All in days work.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    i worry about whether my make ups right, i worry if i look orange, .

saaame .. sometimes i think i might go a bit over board with my eye make up as well and i hate random period/ drinking spots !
  • Options
    If I worried about my appearance there would be so much to worry about that I wouldn't have time to do anything else.

I'm not happy with the way I look but I don't really care. I like my face, and I like my hair. I like my boobs, and my legs from the knees down, arms from the elbows down. It's the bit in the middle that I don't like. That's just on looks though (which I guess is what this thread is about :razz:) My body works fine, I bet I can open just as many jars of beetroot as briggi can etc. I'm unfit at the moment, but I know I can be fit and I enjoy exercise.

I do worry about the way I look because I worry that people will judge me as someone not worthy of talking to/being friends with based on the fact that I'm a bit of a fattie. In some ways though that is my own prejudice against myself talking and I have found that the friends I do have at uni really couldn't give a fuck about my appearance and they like me because I'm me (and I'm a regular bringer of polos to boring lectures), and have enough (unfounded) worries about their bodies themselves.

I'm me, I'm happy. My boyfriend both loves me and fancies me, clothes fit me - although I'm never going to be able to dress like many of the posters on here because clothes like that just do not suit me and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them anyway. I'm very strong (muscularly) and when I am fit I am pretty quick at kayaking and I enjoy it. I don't get cold easily in winter either :D

I do like my boobs though.
  • Options
    oh and im really paranoid about my arm hair. i know thats weird but i just am and my feet. i hate feet at least mine.
  • Options
    Course I do. Who doesn't? Although for the last few years I have been reassured by the fact that I have had 26 years to pick out all my faults, and by the time anyone's been with me that long, it'll be time for the bifocals anyway, and they won't be able to see any of them. :thumb:

I also get the young thing. A bit less, these days, but I do remember sitting in the waiting room of the hopsital ultrasound department last year, listening to a couple of middle aged women discussing me, and saying how terrible teenage pregnancy was, and how 'they seem to get themselves in trouble younger and younger these days, tut tut etc'.

I briefly considered beating them about the face with a copy of Yorkshire Life, or Ultrasound Today (or any of the generally uninteresting printed crap you find in medical waiting rooms) while informing them that not only was I not pregnant (p.s. thanks for jumping to outrageous conclusions, people have other things scanned too y'know), but I was 25, and lots of people planned families and whatnot at my age.

I didn't though. Just calmed myself by imagining they were having either their brains or their fashion sense scanned, presumably to find out if they were still there.
  • Options
    I worry about almost every aspect of my body. Boobs too small, bum too big, too wobbly were I should be more toned, the usual stuff really. I don't like worrying about my appearance, it sucks, but as a kid I was bullied so much (I was the fat goofy kid at school) that even now I'm a size 10 I fret like anything. Not cool.
  • Options
    I think everyone is worrying about his appearance in a varying degree.
    I try to keep good skin, even tho it's hard with my sensitive and constantly dry skin.

I try to have my hair look ok. I am not anywhere near obsessed with it, but I hate it, how the dudes selling your computer parts in those shops always have their hair pressed to the head on one side (the side they slept on) and have them pointing away the other head. It looks like you get up and don't even take a glance in the mirror before leaving your house. Well, I do not hate it on them, but I'd hate to have an ungroomed hairdo like that.

I am actually content with myself, since I can't change the other things, like my snow-white skin that just doesn't want to tan. Or my physique, since I am way to skinny, but just can't get weight. I'm like my father when he was my age, he got stronger in his late 20s however.

I even sometimes put on clothes and change them immediately after again, to try a bit out, before going out at night :blush:

I do not think I am exaggerating my ambition to look half-way decent (with the things I am able to change or alter. decent on a relative scale)

/e: and@wyetry: I am looking for reassurance as well. Maybe not that much, and I don't feel bad in my skin, but I do feel better if someone mentions/compliments something on me I put thought into.

@briggi: you are on my top3 list of the most gorgeous people on thesite :thumb: so I am glad you are not worrying much :D
  • Options
    I take care of myself, moisturising, making sure my nails are trimmed and nice, etc etc...just the usual really. Although I am pretty obssessed with my hair to be honest, and will spend ages on it...it used to be long and I couldn't have cared less about it, but now it's really quite short and I can mess with it and have a bit of fun. I'm also ridiculously obssessed with converse baseball boots, and I adore my clothes!! :)
  • Options
    I worry about my appearance to, like every other girl in the world. Listing all the things I hate about myself would go on for hours, but it's the kind of thing I've come to obsess about quietly rather than worry for days on end.

I don't suppose being stuck in a room with a bunch of girls all day helps though (and most of the girls on my course are slim and pretty, just to be annoying. If they weren't all lovely girls, I'd of snapped their little stick wrists by now)
  • Options
    I have my bad days, i don't like my stomach and i put weight on after i went on the pill. But i'm not that fussed tbh. There are people that look alot worse than i do, and i certainly don't want to be a twig that obsessess about every single calorie. There are more important things in life.
    I sometimes hate my pale skin, especially in the summer when everyone is tanned. If i get a tan i just look like i haven't washed for a year. But it can be a blessing too, i have to look after it more so it will probably age slower.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind losing some weight, but I've reached a stage where I'm doing what I can to fix that and have for a while been pretty content with myself.

Sure, I sometimes have my bad days and sometimes there are days I feel like I'm the most stunning thing on Earth. I feel more good than bad now, especially after I stopped picking myself apart. It doesn't help with anything and I much prefer spotting my good bits anyway. ;)

I care, but not as much about what others think and rather how I feel about myself.
  • Options
    I worry loads about it. I'm even going to go into what I don't like, we would be here all day. I just try and focus on the good things, and make the most of what I have.
  • Options
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    briggi wrote: »

Oh, and by the way...

They don't fuck you up, your mum and dad
    (Despite what Larkin says)
    It's other grown-ups, other kids
    Who, in their various ways
    Die. And their dying casts a shadow
    Numbering all our days
    And we try to keep from going mad
    In multifarious ways
    And most of us succeed, thank God.
    So if, to coin a phrase
    You're fucked up, don't blame your mum and dad
    (Despite what Larkin says)

:thumb:

Roger McGough :heart: I heard him recite that in a church a few years ago.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Yet oddly i love looking at myself in pictures and the mirror and whilst i spend quite a lot of time looking at my bad points I also spend quite a lot of time realising that I am actually beautiful...

omg you are me! i do that too - all my friends think im vein, but i think i look rubbish most of the time but wheni look decent (which is normally when im goin with my friends) i quite often look at myself to check im still looking alrite and seeing myself looking good!

I worry that ill get bags under my eyes, I worry that my legs are fat, I worry that I have scars from spots, or the spots i have are huge and bllindingly obvious to every. I think im too tall (im actually 5"8" but most of my gal mates r short so i feel like a giant!). I worry that people are looking at my lazy eye. I worry that im frowning when im perfectly content inside! worry I slouch. I realllllly worry about my hair going grey and curly, so ill have to cut it all off the be in a short bob. I worry that my lips crack.

But again, i do not worry abot all these things all the time. I dont constantly worry about the way i look.
  • Options
    i worry about the way i look quite often but i try not let it get me down
  • Options
    me i allways worry bout what i look like and it realy annoys me so much and it fucks other people of as well so eeessshhh
  • Options
    me i allways worry bout what i look like and it realy annoys me so much and it fucks other people of as well so eeessshhh

If you speak the way you write I can understand why eeessshhh.
  • Options
    Don't really like my appearance at the moment - going to try to change what i dont like.
  • Options
    I don't care to be honest, most days I roll out of bed, wash and throw clothes on, don't always even brush my hair through properly. I'd rather have 5 more minutes in bed before going to do the horse, which would be fine except I go straight to Uni afterwards. :blush:

Occaisionally I'll look down at my stomach, think shit when did that appear? resolve to cut down on the crap I eat and then forget about it 5 minutes later. It really is my only dislike area I think, but it will never go, even when I was verging on a 6 pack it was still there, that bit below my belly button.

I am going to do something about it though starting next week (back at home, so I don't need to think about food on the go) as Dad asked if I'd put weight on on Sunday, and I'm planning on wearing a bikini abroad this summer. Maybe I have put weight on, I can't tell, I could just be filling out. :chin:
  • Options
    im forever worrying about my appearance.
    im always thinking about whether i look fat wearing a certain top - if my bum looks big etc etc
    thats probably a big reason why i find it really hard to make eye contact with a lot of people (for more than like 5 seconds!) im always worried theyre looking at me and thinking that i look awful and judging me (which i know most of the time theyre not!!)
    i know i AM being paranoid, but i cant help it!!

im hoping ill feel better withmyself as i get older (and lose weight!!) but only time will tell!!