Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

relationship with parents

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My parents gave up everything to give my brother and I a good childhood - we had our own business which meant my Dad working every hour under the sun to provide for us - in some ways I suppose that is why I didn't feel that close to him growing up... I knew I had always been a Daddy's girl when I was tiny but in general he was quite hands off because he was always tied up with the business.

When I reached about 11 I started working with him at weekends... from then on in I saw exactly what he gave up to keep us happy. He worked his heart and soul into the ground for the family... unfortunately the tree never bore and he never really saw the fruits of his labour...

My Dad died in January of last year 5 days after receiving a diagnosis of lung cancer. He was a very brave man that left us quickly so that we didn't have to cope with the treatments that were ahead with no chance of a positive outcome.

We didn't always see eye to eye on things and he was extremely stubborn... he certainly wasn't an angel and he made some huge mistakes that we are now all paying for in our own personal way... but... he was my Dad and I will never stop loving him.

My Mum... well... she is amazing - we have always got on well but in the last few years have become friends as well as family. There are times when she annoys the hell out of me, but I wouldn't change her for the world... she is a brave and wonderful women and I will always be there to do my best for her.

My parents were/are extremely proud of my brother and I - they never hesitated to tell us that and I owe them a hell of a lot. I know that I wouldn't have grown into such a well rounded individual if it wasn't for their love, care and bloody hard work...

Sorry for the essay - I guess it just got me thinking... :)
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    My parents gave up everything to give my brother and I a good childhood - we had our own business which meant my Dad working every hour under the sun to provide for us - in some ways I suppose that is why I didn't feel that close to him growing up... I knew I had always been a Daddy's girl when I was tiny but in general he was quite hands off because he was always tied up with the business.

When I reached about 11 I started working with him at weekends... from then on in I saw exactly what he gave up to keep us happy. He worked his heart and soul into the ground for the family... unfortunately the tree never bore and he never really saw the fruits of his labour...

My Dad died in January of last year 5 days after receiving a diagnosis of lung cancer. He was a very brave man that left us quickly so that we didn't have to cope with the treatments that were ahead with no chance of a positive outcome.

We didn't always see eye to eye on things and he was extremely stubborn... he certainly wasn't an angel and he made some huge mistakes that we are now all paying for in our own personal way... but... he was my Dad and I will never stop loving him.

My Mum... well... she is amazing - we have always got on well but in the last few years have become friends as well as family. There are times when she annoys the hell out of me, but I wouldn't change her for the world... she is a brave and wonderful women and I will always be there to do my best for her.

My parents were/are extremely proud of my brother and I - they never hesitated to tell us that and I owe them a hell of a lot. I know that I wouldn't have grown into such a well rounded individual if it wasn't for their love, care and bloody hard work...

Sorry for the essay - I guess it just got me thinking... :)
    Love stories like that. Too many people have kids for the sake of them and not because they want to bring a new, intelligant, lust for life individual to the world.
  • Options
    I get on with my mam but I still don't feel i can talk to her about personal things.

My dad on the other hand can treat me like I'm something he's stood in. He can with the things he says and does makes me feel like I did when I was at school and being bullied. If he's said something that's made me feel like shit and I react ie tell him to stop treating me like that or cry he makes me worse so therefore I tend to try to cry in my room without any noise which is bloody hard. I just wish he'd learn to treat me like a human being. I'm not a bad person I'm considerate, polite, caring etc... but I wish he'd see me as a human with faults just like him but of course he's fucking perfect grrrr. but saying that I still go out with him on a Sunday night hehe.

When I have kids I'm going to make sure I love them no matter what and be there for them.
  • Options
    i get on ok with my mum, dont really like my dad, i see him probably once a year i dont call him dad i call him by his name and we make small talk, it used to hurt tat i didnt really know him but i've got over it.
    I know it sounds bad but if he died i dont even think i'd go to his funeral.
  • Options
    I don't know my dad and he doesn't know I exist. My mum is the bestest god damn mother in the whole universe, I love her with every bit of my heart, I owe her everything. We are the bestest of friends, one person in the world that I know I can trust implicitly (body in the boot styleee!) :)
  • Options
    Fine I suppose, though to be completely frank I think I could go without ever seeing them again. They're fine people and all that, I just have no real conection with them.
  • Options
    I don't really see my dad much any more... once every couple of months. We still get on well though.
    Things with my mum are fine really, the family has been through a lot of shit over the last few years so its been stressful... but its all working out now.
  • Options
    my relationship with my mum is brill shes like my best mate but my relationship with my dad is disappearing even though i live with him i hate his gf!! so i hate bein at home or bein with my dad
  • Options
    I have a rather good relationship with them. When I was unemployed my father was - understandingly - always annoying about me not doing anything and mooching off of them.

Now where I study they support me pretty good, let me live at their place and even if not much we still interact on a daily basis. I help to cook and help my father doing grunt works etc talk to them about my day and other stuff.

It's more of a kind of friendship as I am not relating a whole lot with them. Our expanded family is still very much intertwined as well, as I have around ~25 cousins and most of them in vienna/surrounding and we celebrate still most of the birthdays etc.
    I get on with my mam but I still don't feel i can talk to her about personal things.

Same, with the exception that I never had that. I dunno, since elementary school I hung around most of the days with my friends since I was usually quick with my homework, did have one or didn't do it. Same with grammar school. I spent virtually no time on school and passed always fine and tried to spent as much time with my friends, which might be the reason I identify myself much more with friends and persons of amicable nature than with relatives.

I had never a real good personal relation with my parents, even tho I knew they would be there. Last year was a exception when I cried to my mum because of my depression. She started crying too and tried everything to help me, arranged stuff with doctors and and and...
    In the end I just found help and relief through friends and actually felt pretty awkward to my mum, even tho I remember crying to a few friends and never felt awkward (much)...

It's just weird.
  • Options
    get on brillaintly with my ma, shes like my best friend, tell her everything and shes the most udnerstanding person in the world.. shes just like one of my mates... when my mates are here they end up sittin talkin to her instead of me half the time! and she always steals the girl on me too!

as for my da.. our familys been through some mad stuff in the past and ive always taken my ma's side .. shes said a few times i was her 'knight in shining armour' standing up for her when i was only a kid.. said she would have proly threw the rope up if it wasnt for me at times which means a lot .. but i still love my da to pieces and respect him more than any man in the world and if im in any sort of bother he'll be straight there and he'll do anything for me.. suppose he just has a few problems and as ive grew up and went through it myself i can understand how he has felt at times

lifes a bit fuckin mad eh
  • Options
    I love them. We've had problems in the past but we're all adults now... and since I became a parent, too, things couldn't be better... or better understood.

I could not ask for more.
  • Options
    I'm good with both my parents :)

My dad is horrible at conversation though and can be irritating when he says really cheesey or repetitive stuff ALL the time. But he drives me everywhere and picks me up :D

Mum is great :) Have our fights but they're never big.
  • Options
    I get on really well with my parents, although in different ways. My mum is like a close friend, a sister and a parent all rolled into one and would probably be the second person (first being my boyfriend) that i would ring if anything happened to me. We have our off days (usually when we've been together for too long) but we still get on great and regularly have evenings where we stay up till 2am talking about nothing!

I get on well with my dad, but it's less as a parent/child and more like friends. I still feel a little... awkward around him, and i don't know why. My parents split up when i was 9, so i've not grown up with him being 'around' although we did spend the weekend with him twice a month.
  • Options
    My parents used to be really strict up up until my big brother started rebelling and then they loosened up a bit. Because of the size of my family, competing with 5 other siblings, never really got to know my mum or dad on a one to one basis, so never had any real trust or feeling like i could go and talk to them about something because I was so busy.

Until I got pregnant when i was 17 and then moved out, I never spoke to my parents honestly. When all that was happening, I realised that if I cant speak to my parents about anything but small talk, how the hell is my kid going to. So i started really being honest. It's taken 3 years since I moved back after the miscarriage but I'm now been able to stay in the house with my dad and have a real conversation about something other than gadgets and joke around with my mum and everything....so it's on the up for me.
  • Options
    I get on ok with my rents now I've moved out and live away. Didn't used to. But its ok now, the only problems are their drinking and my mood swings haha