Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

relationship with parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's yours like? Mines pretty crap. My dad annoys me and my mums always at her boyfriends. When i'm away from home i dont think about them/miss them or feel the need to ring them. Kinda sad really.

Comments

• Options
    My dad is a right pain in the arse. He embarrasses me and teases me.

I get on alright with my mum though.
  • Options
    I hate my mum...long story, and have just started getting on with my dad again :)
  • Options
    me and my mum are best friends so it's the typical best friend relationship tell eachother everything but at the same time can annoy the hell out of each other.
    my dad doesn't live with us anymore so we have sort of drifted apart, we do get along but he annoys the hell out of me because as we have drifted our morals and lifestyles have changed so when ever we see eachother our two worlds collide lol
  • Options
    my mum - used to be awful! but as i've got older, much much better. :)
    my step-dad - always been good, he's like a dad to me and he's been my step-dad for around 12 years. i used to show more affection towards him but i don't seem to anymore.
    my dad - my parents have been divorced since i was about 6 and since the age of 9 i haven't lived with him. he moved about 6 hours down south about 8 years ago now and since then i've only seen him about twice a year (more if there are funerals etc :p). he never really rings me or anything so i'm a bit narked off at him at the minute.
    my step-mum - my dad has only been married to her for ooh, a year today! but they've been together about 9 years. never really spent much time with her. she's nice but i'll never see her as a motherly figure. i sent her a mothers day card (after much consideration) - but got no thank you back off either my dad or her. so i won't be sending one in the future! :thumb:
  • Options
    Good with both of them I suppose.

When my dad's drunk though he's a pain in the ass.
  • Options
    Get on fine with my mum, not so well with my dad. I refuse to talk to him if he drinks any more as it only turns into fights.
  • Options
    I am no longer on speaking terms with either of my parents, because they suck!
  • Options
    My relationship with my mum got a lot better once I moved out and went to university. We're very similar so it was difficult for us to live together. We get along really well now.

Have always gotten on well with my step-dad. Even though he supports Man Utd, poor thing :no:
  • Options
    Never had any real major issues with my parents but as family we've never been that close.My mum tends to screech alot so I've never bothered trying to talk much with her and my dad is hopeless when it comes to conversation . I had my entire family either teaching or going as a pupil to my school for few years which didn't help :\
    Like others have said I think when you move away and your not in each others way all the time things improve :P
  • Options
    It depends. Right now, if he wasn't my dad I would hate him. Nothing is ever good enough - got an A, 2 x C's and a D at A level, so passed everything, and all he cared about was the fact that I didn't get straight A's. At the moment he's pissed off about something and he's taking it out on me because I have some tidying to do in my room. If it's not tidy by the end of the week, apparently I'm clearing out. Not to mention the fact that the other day he came out and told me my boyfriend wasn't good enough. :grump: Still, I always feel shit after he's yelled at me. :(

I generally get on better with Mum, but if she's in a bad mood she states her point, and lets it lie, or goes to bed and sleeps it off. She doesn't take it out on people unnecessarily.

If it wasn't for the fact I have three years left of a degree to finish and a horse to keep, I would seriously be considering taking him up on the clearing out thing. As it is, I have to try yet again at the impossible task of being good enough for him. :yeees:
  • Options
    My relationship with my mum is great, it used to be pretty bad but since I left home its got considerably better. My relationship with my dad is ok but he can be really childish and therefore we spend great chunks of time not talking each other.
  • Options
    I get on pretty well with me ma, she's always tried to be there for me which isn't easy when you have 6 kids and no father....didn't speak to my dad for years after he left but i try to make more of an effort now, still a bit estranged but i would say i'm more comfortable around him than my stepdad, he's not a bad bloke just a bit of an oddball.....still never met my real dad who's somewhere in india, not in any rush either really it's not like i need another dad at this point lol.
  • Options
    I love my folks so much. I think they love me, but are maybe a bit disappointed in me aswell.

My dad's not been well at all recently, and my Mam is saying he'll be fine and that. I dunno, that's what Mam's are supposed to say isn't it? I know it sounds weird, but I almost died when I was born and I think they'd maybe have expected a bit more from me because of that. I'd give my right ball to make my parents proper proud of me before they go, whenever that might be. I think I made my Mam proud when I helped my Granny just before she died, but that was 7/8 years ago now and I can't really do much else right nowadays. I'm a bit of a mess justnow, I don't have a job and I've fucked up a good few times in the past and let them down. I know they're quite old fashioned and I'm not so, but I only really think of myself and try and make myself happy and I haven't really cared what they think.

I made up with them at Christmas time after about a year without contact, but I can feel myself getting a bit de-attached again. I love them so much though, there's people out there without a family at all and I know I should be more appreciative.

Calming down on the cider might help a bit too, heh :(
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    What's yours like? Mines pretty crap. My dad annoys me and my mums always at her boyfriends. When i'm away from home i dont think about them/miss them or feel the need to ring them. Kinda sad really.

Thing is that I have a great relationship wit hmy parents, yet I have those same feelings. Point is that I know that when I *do* pick up the phone, they are pleased to hear from me, when I *need* them they are there. What more can I ask?
  • Options
    When everyones in a good mood my relationship with my parents is wicked, can't fault it. We all have a laugh and it's cool.

When someones in a bad mood, we will fight really nastily and it's just awful. My parents can get quite aggressive, and i will fight with them like i would someone my own age. They're not adverse to giving me a proper good smack either :yeees:
  • Options
    I resent my Mum and Dad and I don't know why.

I can't talk nice to them, but I do love them. I've just forgotten on how to show them the respect I had when I was wee. I think it's because they don't scare me anymore.

I don't have anything in common with them apart from old memories when I was wee. It's extremely diffcult to explain but I know I don't deserve them and they deserve better than me for a daughter most of the time.
  • Options
    Pretty good. I've always been very close to my Mum, I think the fact that I lived with my Dad not her when they divorced cemented that. I'm close with my Dad as well, and we appreciate each other much more now I've moved out.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    I can't talk nice to them, but I do love them. I've just forgotten on how to show them the respect I had when I was wee. I think it's because they don't scare me anymore.

It's extremely diffcult to explain but I know I don't deserve them and they deserve better than me for a daughter most of the time.

I'm kinda like that too sometimes. More with my dad.
  • Options
    my relationship with my mum has its ups and downs but i feel like she knows me the best out of anyone and always supports me especially when im feeling stressed...i can tell her anything

when my dad was alive it sounds cliche but i was very much 'daddy's little girl', we had our ups and downs because of the brain tumour that changed his personality. sometimes i just think to myself what a brilliant dad he would have been had he not gotten the tumour. he doted on me and my brother, he used to work in london and brought me home teddies and kinder eggs and i ran through a scary dark alley when i was small just to meet him from the train station, i miss those days

my soon to be stepdad..we get on okay, he doesn't really say much and sometimes i wish he'd try and talk to me more cuz i miss my dad but he its unrealistic to think of him as any sort of replacement
  • Options
    I get on brilliantly with my mum and dad. They're my heroes. :heart:
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    My relationship with my mum got a lot better once I moved out:

:yes: Definatly same here. Same with the siblings. I've always had a good relationship with my dad though. My mom was the sensible one, if there ever was a problem she would be the one to say, well you need to do this to change it. I would get mad and we fought almost every day. My dad was just the one to give me a hug and say everything will be alright. When I'm down, when something goes wrong, when I just want something he always goes... *hug* "And what do I always say?" Me: "Because my papa always takes care of his nana"

Awwwww ;)

But definatly once I didn't spend day in and day out with them, every relationship has improved. Though I still get cranky and bitchy when a weekend with them becomes too long :p They are the best though, even if my mother won't let me drive her car because everybody says I"m a bad driver, which is lies, but lets my little sister take it everywhere she wants. But its ok cuz they both rock.
  • Options
    If it wasn't for the fact I have three years left of a degree to finish and a horse to keep, I would seriously be considering taking him up on the clearing out thing.

EXACTLY. i think i'd get on much better with mummy if i wasn't so financially dependent on her. can't wait to go to university in october because our good times tend to be when we've had some alone time in between!

daddy....well i'm not uberly impressed with him at the moment because of boyfriend issues et cet but we get on pretty well generally.

to be fair though i'm fundamentally incredibly proud of my parents and grateful. especially my mum, who's sacrificed a lot for my brothers and i. even though she does drive me actually insane at times :banghead:
  • Options
    I never used to get on with my mum, but thats cos she cut me out big style when my dad died. I know now that it was her way of dealing with it, but at 9 years old was the last thing I needed. Have in the last couple of years grown to get on with her really well though. She can still annoy me when she starts trying to tell me what to do in life though.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »

Heh, my folks still scare me. But I tell them what they want to hear, which I wouldn't really recommend. They think I've got a new job and all that, cause it's easier than having to put up with daily phone calls nagging me to get off my arse. That's a disgusting way to treat parents though, I'll really regret shit like this one day, cause I know deep down they've my best interests at heart. Be pretty amazed if your mam wasn't proud of you though.

Jesus, it's like I'm 23 though and my mother still speaks to me the same way she did when I was 15. She phoned me the other night and asked what I was doing, told her I was watching the football with a couple of beers and a chinese. All I got was a moan about where did I get the money to do that if I didn't have a job, and it's like ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH! I'd give my left ball for her to have a little faith in me.
  • Options
    I feel really lucky sometimes because I get on really well with both my parents. I can tell my Mum everything and I know that she'll always support me no matter what I do. When I was younger my relationship with my Dad was terrible, we were both really stubborn and I got some proper good hidings but in the longrun I grew to respect him more as I got older and now we get on really well.

I was actually thinking about this today because at the pub my friend said 'my Mum said if i get my lip pierced she'll kick me out' and i was like...'really?!' and she said yes...I can't imagine parents who would kick you out, even if i'd done something really terrible never mind just getting a piercing. Just made me think.
  • Options
    my step-mum... i sent her a mothers day card (after much consideration) - but got no thank you back off either my dad or her. so i won't be sending one in the future! :thumb:

Good of you to send a mothers' day card in the 1st place. I hate the way so many divorces end with the kids having to be the mature ones.

Thank god! Everyone else seems to hate their parents. Glad there are some parent-child relationships that work.

As for my parents, I love them, but I have no idea what they want from me & whatever I do seems to disappoint them. I get on better with them since I moved out, but they drive me insane cos we're complete opposites in everything, I don't understand them, they don't understand me, & when I try to talk to them... :banghead: I'm honestly convinced that my dad has no feelings. Maybe he's a robot :chin: that would explain it.

They do try to be good parents, but I feel like I'm from a different world from them. Maybe they're lying to me & I'm actually an alien. That would explain a lot :chin:

As for my real dad, fuck knows what's going on there. Spent ages trying to get up the courage to contact him (didn't wanna upset my parents, etc), then eventually I did, he replied (after 5 months!), so I wrote him again. No reply yet :banghead: Parents!!

Am seriously re-considering ever having kids after reading this discussion.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm fine with my dad. I think I'm subconsciously still afraid of him in some ways, but I don't have any bad feelings for him really. The truth is though that we're not as close as parent and child should be, and I don't think we ever can be.

My mum on the other hand, I think she's a bitch. She doesn't care about how others feel, only what's best for her. She never accepts a different opinion than her own, whenever I disagree on something it's because I'm "too young to know how the world works", but if I agree it's because I'm "older now and maturing".
    Sadly I need her, and this is the only reason I've not kicked her out of my life yet...
  • Options
    Finally! I thought i was gonna be the only one whilst reading through this thread!
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Finally! I thought i was gonna be the only one whilst reading through this thread!

haha, i was kinda thinking that too at first! i didnt realise it was so common to not get on with your parents. mine have always been awesome, hehe.
  • Options
    haha, i was kinda thinking that too at first! i didnt realise it was so common to not get on with your parents. mine have always been awesome, hehe.

I guess you also have to bear in mind what the last kid-parent interaction was. Yesterday what I saw of Mum she was really nice, what I saw of dad he was an arse, so that's what came across in my post.

He's apologised now though, so it's being forgotten.