Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sunbed Vs Fake Tan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Could somebody tell me if i put johnsons fake tan mousturiser thing on will i still tan on the sunbed

Comments

• Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    You would but that Johnsons stuff is shit. Subtle as fuck. Not. I looked like a proper streaky orange.
  • Options
    I'd suggest you wear some sort of SPF you don't want to burn.
  • Options
    I'd suggest ditching the sun bed and sticking with the johnsons.

Tanorexia doesn't do anyone any good. :yuck:
  • Options
    thank you, you lot on here seam to now everythin
  • Options
    try to go out in the sun. Beats looking like a sausage.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    You would but that Johnsons stuff is shit. Subtle as fuck. Not. I looked like a proper streaky orange.

Yep. I used it and it stained all my hands orange and all inbetween the fingers !!
  • Options
    i have this loreal stuff which is okay but its a bit sticky.

Sunshine is best for me i go a bit red to start with then just really brown but not sure if im going abroad this year so i might have to rely on english weather :(
  • Options
    Yep. I used it and it stained all my hands orange and all inbetween the fingers !!

It says on the back of the bottle to wash your hands after.

I've never found johnsons to be orange or streaky- perhaps you're using the "medium- dark skin" instead of "fair-medium skin"
    if its gone streaky then you should exfoliate and maybe use a little moisteriser before you apply johnsons.
  • Options
    lausie wrote: »

I've never found johnsons to be orange or streaky- perhaps you're using the "medium- dark skin" instead of "fair-medium skin"
    if its gone streaky then you should exfoliate and maybe use a little moisteriser before you apply johnsons.

its very streaky

i consider myself somewhat of a tan expert, tried nearly all of them as i dont like the idea of using sunbeds

johnsons and dove are by far the worst going
  • Options

Yep, I agree.

I've used it, and obviously - as with any fake tan, you wash your hands immediately after applying it lol.
    And I've never ever had my Johnson's go streaky. Perhaps it's just you :razz: hehe.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    its very streaky

i consider myself somewhat of a tan expert, tried nearly all of them as i dont like the idea of using sunbeds

I agree with you.

I always exfoliate and moisturise before but I didnt wash my hands .. :o .. But .. I have used it quite a few times when i have washed my hands and its gone streaky allover my feet too.

I think you get what you pay for when it comes to tan, so if you spend that bit extra its likely to be better. But its different for every one, for example my friend uses one which makes her a nice goldeny colour .. i used it and looked like an umpalumpa.
  • Options
    I wear false tan regularly and the Nivea range is the best I have come accross
  • Options
    i never moistuise OR exfoliate and the only ones that make me streaky are johnsons and dove, and they have moisturiser in them which means u shouldnt have to moisturise before hand
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I wear false tan regularly and the Nivea range is the best I have come accross

nivea is good :yes:

my fave is loreal and garnier
  • Options
    nivea is good :yes:

my fave is loreal and garnier

Cheap too - I've got quite dodgey dry sensitive skin and it's always worked the best on me.
    I think the only one I haven't really tried is St Tropez - it's the price that's stopped me. Have you tried it?

Oh and OP don't go for a spray tan booth - streaks and orange look galore!
    Me and a load of mates had one just before a hol and what a right load of freaks we looked!
  • Options
    Could somebody tell me if i put johnsons fake tan mousturiser thing on will i still tan on the sunbed

The best way of thinking about your question Hollie is would you wear moisturiser on a beach instead of suntan lotion? A sunbed emits UV light which is the same as the sun and so you can get burned. If you wear suntan lotion on a sunbed, it would prevent you tanning (effectively burning)

I'd recommend you use fake tan instead too. If you find one that works well for you and doesn't streak its much healthier than using sunbeds :)
  • Options
    I think the only one I haven't really tried is St Tropez - it's the price that's stopped me. Have you tried it?

wasnt fussy on st tropez

wasnt dark enough for me, and it washed off in the shower too easily (you're supposed to shower it off the next day to reveal a nice looking tan, but when i used it, it all seemed to come off)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    wasnt fussy on st tropez

wasnt dark enough for me, and it washed off in the shower too easily (you're supposed to shower it off the next day to reveal a nice looking tan, but when i used it, it all seemed to come off)

I had the same thought tbh, and when I was letting it develop I was a lovely nuclear orange colour! nice!

Fake bake spray on was the best for me. Looked ok afterwards so could get on with normal things, and lasted much longer than St Tropez.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    silverhalo wrote: »
    The best way of thinking about your question Hollie is would you wear moisturiser on a beach instead of suntan lotion? A sunbed emits UV light which is the same as the sun and so you can get burned. If you wear suntan lotion on a sunbed, it would prevent you tanning (effectively burning)

I'd recommend you use fake tan instead too. If you find one that works well for you and doesn't streak its much healthier than using sunbeds :)

Sun tan lotion does not stop you from tanning at all.

And it is safer to use it on sunbeds than nothing at all

to the OP, the moisturiser itself won't cause problems, but the both may result in a rather nasty orange/mahogany look!
  • Options
    a few of my friends have used johnsons and dove as well as myself, and theyv never come out streaky. make sure you apply it well by rubbing it all in well and evenly but I also find rubbing it in in an upwards direction makes it more "even," if you understand me? especially on the legs
  • Options
    Piz buin foam has always worked the best for me.

Also.. I heard that you shouldn't use suntan lotion on sunbeds because it will make you burn.
  • Options
    I've never found johnsons to be orange or streaky

Same here, I used it and was really impressed, im surprised by the divide though, so many people have had bad experiences with it, maybe its down to skin type :confused:
  • Options
    its very streaky

I don't find it streaky. I use the fair one every day because I am v pale and if i exfoliate enough then it doesn't go streaky. I use St Tropez though if I want to be really tanned.Plus its a nice brown rather than orange cheap tan. Its quite expensive but it makes your skin really soft!
    I've been using tan for years and years and i think iv perfected it apart from I find it hard to get it right on my knees!
  • Options
    The tanning salon i go to sells different types of creams to apply before going on the sunbed which help to maximise your tan. Some of these have a slight hint of bronzer in there...
  • Options
    It actually annoys me the amount of people that preach about the dangers of sunbeds then go sunbathe all during summer. You're doing the same damage to your skin to get to the same level of brown no matter which you use.

Just do it in small doses and don't use either 'til the point you burn. Simple.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    It actually annoys me the amount of people that preach about the dangers of sunbeds then go sunbathe all during summer. You're doing the same damage to your skin to get to the same level of brown no matter which you use.

Just do it in small doses and don't use either 'til the point you burn. Simple.

I prefer not to do either as I don't want to look in my 50s when I'm in my 30s!
  • Options

:yes:

I use Garnier which I've had no problems with. The light build up summer body one, not the full on tan cos I think fake tans can sometimes look a strange colour, and I haven't been brave enough to try one yet. :blush:
  • Options

That's only if you get too much sun. A little sun is actually good for you.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    That's only if you get too much sun. A little sun is actually good for you.

You only need 10 mins sun a day for your vitamin D allowance - long term usage causes premature aging - around 70% of aging is down to sun/uv damage. So even if you are using it for short periods of time and not burning it is still causing significant damage to your skin.
    haha you don't use sunbeds do you oldy?