Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Puppy

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rachael wrote: »
    A smudge is a stain anyway. Not a nice message to give dawgie.

I never thought of it like that but you're right! My boyfriend had a guinea pig called Smudge when he was younger so to him it's a piggie name.

I reckon it'll be called Indy or Barney but I'll let you know!
  • Options
    Are you going to get some guinea pigs? (Andy mentioned something about you not being able to get a hutch home) We have a piggie called Rocket, he's all fat with a quiff!
  • Options
    Are We have a piggie called Rocket, he's all fat with a quiff!

Should of called him Tony Slattery then :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Should of called him Tony Slattery then :D

:lol: Miaow!
  • Options
    I liked Monty!
  • Options
    Are you going to get some guinea pigs? (Andy mentioned something about you not being able to get a hutch home) We have a piggie called Rocket, he's all fat with a quiff!

We were going to get some on Thursday but the shop was closing but we never went back. Lurchers are bred to chase things, so we've decided it probably isn't the best idea, although that may all change in a few weeks when we're settled in a new house!

*Ashlee* you will be pleased, because we're calling him Monty!
  • Options
    yay yay Monty, awww sweet!
  • Options
    bumblebee - the training advice thats been given so far is briliant, but there's 1 important thing you've got to bear in mind. you have to reward/punish an animal at the right time, in order to re-enforce/discourage the action.....i mean, if your puppy poo's on the floor while you're out, and you return home 2 hrs later+yell at him+say "bad dog" etc,etc, he wont have the foggiest what you're actually yelling at him for....he wont connect the pooing with the punishment, even if u point him towards it or whatever - too much time has passed!he'll just end up associating you with nasty raised voices.
    and if you do catch him doing it, then thats the time to punish/scold!

as for training to heal, sit, stay,etc. lots of treats at first, then reduce the number of treats you give and replace some of them with fusses+lots of cuddles+attention (cos u dont want him getting fat/becomming reliant on them to be obediant). eventually he'll do as he's told, even if he's just getting a 'good boy' and the occasional treat!
    Also, approach him and show him a treat when he's standing, then slowly move it over his head. he'll instinctively want to folow it with his eyes+he should end up sitting! as he's about to sit, say SIT and then once he's done it give him the treat+loads of fuss!!
  • Options
    Bumblebee - might be able to offer you baby rabbits in the summertime if you are still after some cute and fluffies.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Never call a dog Rex, Smudge, Barney, Fido, Max, etc, too common.

What about Diesel?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Also, approach him and show him a treat when he's standing, then slowly move it over his head. he'll instinctively want to folow it with his eyes+he should end up sitting! as he's about to sit, say SIT and then once he's done it give him the treat+loads of fuss!!

What a great idea, I'll definately be trying this one, thanks :thumb:

KHSS - I'll definately keep it in mind, thanks! :D
  • Options
    Bumblebee - might be able to offer you baby rabbits in the summertime if you are still after some cute and fluffies.

As food for Monty ? :eek:
  • Options
    :yes:

Yeah, make those rabbits into a pie for Monty, he will be over the moon. :D
  • Options
    Clickers, are the way forward.
  • Options
    Awww, monty's a cute name (and a cute puppy), but i do think you should have called him Emo.

But you probably shouldn't listen to me, I have a cat called the Ginger Ninja.