Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Puppy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We're getting a puppy in two weeks.

I've had dogs before but my boyfriend hasn't so it's going to be quite an exciting time.

Anyway, I was just wondering what advice anyone can offer about having a puppy? Obviously we've already thought about time / cost committments etc so advice about bringing it home, training it and feeding it would be useful!

Comments

• Options
    IIRC:
    You will probably need to feed it every few hours or something
  • Options
    A ticking clock wrapped in a blanket in the doggies bed can help it sleep for the first few nights as it sounds like it's Mummys heartbeat, awwww.
  • Options
    Stock up on cleaning products of all kinds. Hide all possessions (esp. shoes) that you'd like to keep unchewed. If you're redoing your house, choose laminate or lino over carpet, at least for the downstairs rooms. Divide your social life into 4 hour chunks. Charge up the camera batteries. DEFINITELY look into insurance (if my dog wasn't insured, she'd have set us back over £5000 this last year alone).

Training wise, you need all the patience in the world, and treats. Don't punish mistakes, ignore them, and reward progress. Puppies are basically like kids. They mostly want to be good, but they are easily tempted and distracted.

If you're bringing it home a fairly long way in the car, bear in mind that a lot of puppies get car sick at first, so don't feed it just before you travel, and consider an old towel or blanket in case of pukage.
  • Options
    As far as feeding goes, it's important not to change the puppy's diet unnecessarily, because this could cause a stomach upset and/or diarrhoea which would be unpleasant for you and the puppy. Any changes should be carried out very slowly. As the puppy gets older it will need feeding less frequently, so when the puppy refuses a feed at the same time of day for two or three days it's time to stop that particular feed, as long as the puppy is fit and well and has a well developed body. Always, always have fresh water available to him, especially if he's fed on complete dry food.

There's no magic formula for training, just patience, kindness and lots of praise at the right time. Get the puppy to go on newspaper on the kitchen floor and then once he's used to that gradually move it out into the garden. Then encourage him to go out straight after meals, when he wakes up and when you see him circling. Go with him and give him lots of praise when he performs. Don't expect miracles, he's not likely to be reliably housetrained until he's six months or more.
  • Options
    Having had dogs all my life, we've got house training down to a fine art.

Consider buying a Dog cage. Now whilst this may seem cruel, it is actually very beneficial to the dog. They are territorial animals and thus by giving them a cage means that it's their territory. Line it with newspaper and the dog, because it's his bed, is less likely to want to piss in it for fear of messing up his bed. Thus they learn self-control. Normally puppies need to relieve themselves every hour and a half/two hours.

Naturally accidents happen, just like with kids but having the cage and shutting it at night meant that our two dogs were house trained in a matter of weeks.

If you don't go for the cage option, lay down newspaper in the kitchen or wherever the dog will predominantly be. Then each week, reduce the amount of floor space covered by the newspaper, retreating towards the door or the nearest exit to where the dog can relieve itself. This is another psychological trick that works. The dog will associate the newspaper with going for a piss so hopefully as the newspaper retreats, the dog will continue to piss on the newspaper if it needs to.

Incidentally, what kind of dog are you considering?
  • Options
    Consider buying a Dog cage

Incidentally, what kind of dog are you considering?

We've already bought a cage. When I was younger and we had dogs mum and dad always had a cage. Often the puppy feels safer and today when we visited the puppy he was squealing to get back into his!

He's a lurcher - both parents are greyhound / saluki crosses. We wanted something energetic and non-cutesy to take on really long walks and camping trips.

He was shaking with fear when I took this picture, poor mite, but with some gentle coaxing and stroking he soon perked up and was a bundle of furry fun! :D

Incidentally, if anyone can suggest a name that would be great. We're arguing like cat and dog about it at the moment!
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    We've already bought a cage. When I was younger and we had dogs mum and dad always had a cage. Often the puppy feels safer and today when we visited the puppy he was squealing to get back into his!

He's a lurcher - both parents are greyhound / saluki crosses. We wanted something energetic and non-cutesy to take on really long walks and camping trips.

He was shaking with fear when I took this picture, poor mite, but with some gentle coaxing and stroking he soon perked up and was a bundle of furry fun! :D

Incidentally, if anyone can suggest a name that would be great. We're arguing like cat and dog about it at the moment!

Hogarth!

Dunno just looks like a Hogarth to me
  • Options
    smidge
  • Options
    mini-me says you can call it Wizzer.
  • Options
    I'll call your

doggy.jpg

and raise you a

kitten.jpg

:D
  • Options
    aww hes so cute! rubberskin, cats are rubbish lets face it :p

i say call him smudge or charlie :D
  • Options
    I second smudge!
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    I second smudge!

Thirded :D
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Thirded :D

fourthed
  • Options
    Surely that means this puppy WILL be called Smudge then lol
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    Surely that means this puppy WILL be called Smudge then lol

Hopefully. I'm supporting Smudge too. Guess that's fiftheth :D

Rubberskin, that cat pic is adorable! Looks a bit like my kitty.

Bumblebee, don't forget to keep us updated on puppyness! :hyper: Hope you have a great time with him.
  • Options
    When picking a dog name, practice squealing it at the top of your voice and see if you feel silly.

My dog is called Holly, and a lot of people don't like it cause it's a bit common, but I'm not the one looking like a dickhead yelling it out in the park, unlike Trixie-Boo's owner. :thumb:

That said, I've always wanted a dog with a really human name. Like Steve, or Brian. I'm easily amused. Otherwise, I'd entertain myself with names like Elvis or Otis.
  • Options
    i dare you to call it dog. :D

we have an alfie and a mollie. we used to have a mabel too - but we didn't name her. cute name though!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    That said, I've always wanted a dog with a really human name. Like Steve, or Brian. I'm easily amused. Otherwise, I'd entertain myself with names like Elvis or Otis.

:lol: (sorry)

We used to have a dog like the one in the picture who was called Taz.

About 8-9 years ago, we were going to adopt a dog who was called Tin-Tin.:lol:
  • Options
    We're not too keen on Smudge, sorry guys. :cool:

In the running we have Barney, George, Monty, Indy, Furious D (don't ask :rolleyes: ) and Emo (because he looks so sad!)
  • Options
    Ooh, I love George! :heart:

Although you might kick yourself for missing out on Steve the dog ;)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Although you might kick yourself for missing out on Steve the dog ;)

I can picture the scene now; local park walking Steve, Steve runs off, I shout "Steve, here boy" and a burly man in tight white vest pops up from nowhere!
  • Options
    aw, but so many people liked my suggestion haha...

if not smudge i like barney out of the list you posted. barney sounds like a good dogs name. please dont name it furious d :no:
  • Options
    aw, but so many people liked my suggestion haha...

if not smudge i like barney out of the list you posted. barney sounds like a good dogs name. please dont name it furious d :no:

Barney is my fave too. I'm hoping my boyfriend threw in Furious D as a joke :nervous:
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    I can picture the scene now; local park walking Steve, Steve runs off, I shout "Steve, here boy" and a burly man in tight white vest pops up from nowhere!

:lol:

Furious D sounds awful for a dog's name. Currently, we have dogs called Ty & Sammy.
  • Options
    :lol:

You may laugh, but I was walking my brother's dog in the park a few years ago, and he did a runner. So of course I wandered around a bit yelling 'ALF! ALFIE! GET HERE IMMEDIATELY!!'. Then a couple appeared from nowhere and gave me a right earful for yelling at their son.

I didn't yell back, 'Well, if you will give your son a dog's name....', but I wanted to.
  • Options
    There is a Yorkshire Terrier across the road from me called Dave. That made me laugh. They used to have a cat called Graham as well!

Bumblebee your puppy is sweet :) How about Tigger?
  • Options
    I hate dogs, got my legs ripped apart by a dog on my 19th birthday lol. Still have the odd nightmare where I get chased and mangled by a dog. :shocking:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I hate dogs, got my legs ripped apart by a dog on my 19th birthday lol. Still have the odd nightmare where I get chased and mangled by a dog. :shocking:

Nice!! (sarcasm)

I liked Smudge :crying: RIP Smudge. Lol, anyway, Barney's good! (by the way, does anyone else get a mental image of a big dancing purple dinosaur every time they hear that name?) but its a cool name for the dog. Can you imagine yelling out "furious d" in the park? I'd keep the dog on the leash the entire time purely to avoid that embarassment!
  • Options
    Furious D is so cool.

Glad you're not gonna call him Smudge..He'd be a laughing stock.

A smudge is a stain anyway. Not a nice message to give dawgie.