Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Men in Makeup

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any opinions on Men in Make up?
I have known to vary from none, to eyeliner most days to full on designs all over my face and I get such mixed opinions on it, from people who are not bothered about it at all and even encourage me to do more unusual and adventurous marks to people who scream at me in the streets. What do you reckon? because I don't see a problem with it. I think it's a good way to express creativity sometimes, while a touch of eyeliner can finish off a look and draw attention to the eyes. Yet there's always the people who have a mega problem with it, I'd really like to know why it upsets and offends these people (somehow I doubt it offends or upsets them, it's just a reason to kick off most of the time).

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Why would you wear it? Even women look ugly with it, when they normally aren't. Or in the very least not as good as they do without.
  • Options
    I'm not particularly meaning using foundation and blusher and normal make up, although it'd be interesting to know what people think of that.
    I moreso mean designs. Placing a design on the face, like a temporary tatoo.
  • Options
    Ah that. I assume it would be as nice as if it was a tatoo.
  • Options
    Ah that. I assume it would be as nice as if it was a tatoo.

Right, well if I ever do anything like that and go out in public with it, I moaned at so much. Say I'm walking in town, I can get away with it but I'll hear random comments and see people staring, but later of an evening I'll get so may people make comments to me or shout at me. It's usually older men, while I get asked how I did it by anyone else.
  • Options
    Klever wrote: »
    Right, well if I ever do anything like that and go out in public with it, I moaned at so much. Say I'm walking in town, I can get away with it but I'll hear random comments and see people staring, but later of an evening I'll get so may people make comments to me or shout at me. It's usually older men, while I get asked how I did it by anyone else.
    Wouldn't it be the same if it was a tatoo though? I think it's the desing that counts, and the placement.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be the same if it was a tatoo though? I think it's the desing that counts, and the placement.

So do you reckon if I had a tatoo on my face these people wouldn't get angry?
  • Options
    simple answer. no. ewwwww. dont like it :)
  • Options
    Ewan MacGregor looked fit as with a bit of eyeliner on, yum.
  • Options
    Some men look good in a bit of eyeliner but i dont like anything other than eyeliner on men anythin else looks daft in my opinion :)
  • Options
    So do you reckon if I had a tatoo on my face these people wouldn't get angry?
    I said the opposite actually.
  • Options
    See, I wouldn't mind it at all, as long as its done well. One of my boy friends wears really bad eyeliner all the time and it looks awful, but thats because he can't put it on properly-if he actually took our advice on how to apply it I'm sure it would look a lot better.
  • Options
    If you have a big tatt on your face then people are going to look. I wouldn't really like it in a potential boyfriend but if that's how you want to express yourself then feel free. The only danger is idiots who start on blokes for looking 'gay'. I'd be wary of that. Do you like to draw or have you thought about making it into a career if you're good at it?
  • Options
    Don't see a problem with eyeliner, although I don't personally see the point in designs on the rest of the face. Eyeliner can bring out/highlight the eyes, whereas random designs don't really do anything.

Then again, I even hate when girls do weird swirly eye of Ra shit at the corners of their eyes.
  • Options
    I like guys who wear eyeliner, but the application being perfect, is paramount. If you look like you've just got a black crayon and doodled over your face, you're gonna look like an idiot.

I can't abide guys who think that eyeliner is as simple as drawing around the eyes with a stick of kohl. It takes practise and finesse. As long as they've got the application down, it can look amazingly hot.

The same goes for nail polish too, imo. If it's applied well, it can look hot. IMO.
  • Options
    ohhhhhhh, totally missed the topic here. I was on about girls and make-up.

Well, there is nothing much to say for me :p I wouldn't want to wear make-up, it's feminine imho.
  • Options
    matt you FIEND
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    If you have a big tatt on your face then people are going to look. I wouldn't really like it in a potential boyfriend but if that's how you want to express yourself then feel free. The only danger is idiots who start on blokes for looking 'gay'. I'd be wary of that. Do you like to draw or have you thought about making it into a career if you're good at it?

I'm a textile art student, so yes I love to draw. I use the eyeliner simply to highlight the eyes most of the time, but I quite often get too involved and will do some big design which I will occassionaly wear while I'm at college or going to a private party. When I'm travelling to these places I get the blokes who start on me for looking gay. I understand having a design on your face will make people look, but I don't get why people have to make a comment about it. What's the point of threatning people who do things like that?
  • Options
    I'm a textile art student, so yes I love to draw. I use the eyeliner simply to highlight the eyes most of the time, but I quite often get too involved and will do some big design which I will occassionaly wear while I'm at college or going to a private party. When I'm travelling to these places I get the blokes who start on me for looking gay. I understand having a design on your face will make people look, but I don't get why people have to make a comment about it. What's the point of threatning people who do things like that?

I don't know really. I think people who look different scare them. It's strange.. But I think even a girl with a design on her face is going to get comments. Putting a design on your face kinda sets you apart and puts you out there. It might be unfair but I think you're gonna have to expect critacism. It doesn't mean that they are right.
  • Options
    It's ok if:

1. Your camp
    2. Your a tranny
    2. You like Electro
    3. Your going to a fancy dress party
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    2. You like Electro

As in electro-house? Nonsense!
  • Options
    As in electro-80's-pop.

Think John B.
  • Options
    I don't like it, but that's just personal opinion. I know a few girls who do like men in make up...I just don't see the whole attraction to it...:confused:

well i wear eyeliner and eye shadow and sayin it on my photo do i look good in it coz ma ex say i look better in it then when i don'y but do i?:confused:
  • Options
    not a fan - I've seen people who use it very effectively, but I find it hampers communication
  • Options
    I don't mind a man wearing a bit of properly applied eyeliner but nothing else.
  • Options
    It's a loada shite. It makes people look like twats and I don't like the idea of tampering with my body, hence never having a piercing or tattoo either.
  • Options
    lol that made me laugh. You don't like tampering with your body but you like the drugs ;).
  • Options
    lol that made me laugh. You don't like tampering with your body but you like the drugs ;).

Nah that's tampering with my mind. ;)
  • Options
    I think it's fine. People are free to do what they want. A bit of well applied eyeliner can look good on the right man ;)

If you draw elaborate designs on your face you are going to get looked at as much as a woman who draws elaborate designs on your face in my opinion. I wouldn't stare or get angry towards anyone who did it, but may be interested to know what they used / why they did it and might ask if they looked like someone who would be approachable in a bar etc.
  • Options
    I get that it draws attention. I love going to certain clubs with it because it draws a lot of very welcome attention, and if they are polite about it I'll happily explain why it's there and what it's about. It's just people who have a moan about it and will pick on people for it. It makesa no sense to me, just because they are a bit diffferent to the norm.
  • Options
    It's ok if:

1. Your camp
    2. Your a tranny
    2. You like Electro
    3. Your going to a fancy dress party

1. I'm fairly camp
    2. I'm close to being a tranny, dressing up can be a lot of fun :p
    3. I love 80's pop
    4. I'm always in fancy dress