We've updated the 'What can I talk about?' section of the group chat guidelines to mirror the boards guidelines. You can find them here :)
Want to tell us about your experiences using The Mix and be in with a chance of winning a £200 Amazon Voucher? Click here to go to our survey!

US to attack Iran this week?

2

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Amira wrote: »
    why? Surely this would be the answer to soooo many issues in todays world.

    Ever heard of nuclear deterrent? MAD? The Cold War?
    Amira wrote: »
    Who said anything about nuclear weapons, since Bush has been in office there has been nothing but war....very peaceful and anti-war, personally speaking i think America are as bad as everyone they claim are terrorists.

    America being bad isn't the issue, it's about who will use nuclear weapons if they have them. I'm not saying Iran will or won't, merely answering your point about "If Iran can't have them neither should the US".

    Iran's ability to wage war isn't being removed, just their ability to acquire nuclear weapons prevented.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Ever heard of nuclear deterrent? MAD? The Cold War?
    Yeah, seems the Iranian have as well. I'd want nuclear weapons too with three nuclear-armed and seemingly hostile armies dangerously close to your border.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Isn't this just going to make things 10x worse? And since when was this americas problem anyway?



    http://ezinearticles.com/?War-Is-Good---For-Business-III&id=285156

    Where's there's oil they can't control ... there's a problem for the US

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves#Iran
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    The US government deciding they are "police" (or just pretending to, actually) and "punishing" other countries is exactly like me deciding I know right from wrong and have the right to punish someone else, then going in the street with a gun and shooting a rapist, then a thief and then maybe someone who had had sex before marriage (assuming I thought it wrong).
    If I went out and did that, I would (SHOULD) be locked away for years, if not for ever. That's exactly what should happen to the US, metaphorically speaking. It doesn't matter whether Iran is "evil" or not (personally I'd agree that it sounds like a horrible place to live in and an evil government) but no other country has the right to play police.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That said, Iran's President has threatened to unleash a 21st century Holocaust (whilst denying the Holocaust of the 20th century). This same man has pledged to 'wipe Israel off the map.'

    Has he ? When and where did that happen ?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    Iran has said it wants to see Israel wiped off the map.

    I don`t think "Iran" can say anything but I`ll assume you are repeating Disillusioned`s claim.

    Maybe you can help ?

    When and where did that happen ?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Do you really want someone who claims Israel should be "wiped off the map" gain the power to do so?

    Again, when and where did this happen ?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    It's enough to ask the question (which is a fair one) once. Quoting everyone who mentioned it in a separate post and saying the exact same thing is what I call spamming.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Should people all have the same legal 'rights' to owning a gun? Or should some distinction be made between different individuals? Should a violent criminal have the same 'rights' to a gun as an Olympic shooting athlete?

    Legal "rights" isn`t much of a fetish of mine, but on the balance of probabilities I`d say that the ones most likely to shoot me at this moment in space-time are the ones with the legal "rights" to own/carry one.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's enough to ask the question (which is a fair one) once. Quoting everyone who mentioned it in a separate post and saying the exact same thing is what I call spamming.

    You can call it what you like, but three people have made the same claim with what seems like a fair degree of certitude.

    Maybe just one of them will help me out with evidence of the said claim.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seeker wrote: »
    You can call it what you like, but three people have made the same claim with what seems like a fair degree of certitude.

    Maybe just one of them will help me out with evidence of the said claim.
    *yawn*

    All it took was a little Google search...
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    A pretty dubious source - and Russia, a strong ally of Iran...

    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

    Anyway. NOw I'm loll'ed out... yeah right. The US ain't going to attack Iran.

    And so he said he was going to wipe Israel off the map. I've threatened to cut my mates nuts off... I ain't going to do it.

    Bush promised to restore order in the Middle East. He ain't going to do it, and he never planned to.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Franki wrote: »
    *yawn*

    All it took was a little Google search...

    Yawn indeed.

    So shall I repeat my alleged spamming question to Ali Akbar Dareini of Associated Press or will you do it for me ?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seeker wrote: »
    Yawn indeed.

    So shall I repeat my alleged spamming question to Ali Akbar Dareini of Associated Press or will you do it for me ?
    :rolleyes:.

    You're fucking weird, you know that?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Franki wrote: »
    :rolleyes:.

    You're fucking weird, you know that?

    That comment could be construed as derailing the thread.

    You could start a new one.

    Meanwhile could someone show me the evidence ?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=QX7rH4egQBU
    I thought you'd enjoy this Seeker. I can't watch it myself, because I'm at work, but someone else can and report back for me?

    And this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FckLO8HcNyo&mode=related&search=
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=QX7rH4egQBU
    I thought you'd enjoy this Seeker. I can't watch it myself, because I'm at work, but someone else can and report back for me?

    And this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FckLO8HcNyo&mode=related&search=

    Would you trust me to report back ?

    As a film fan, do you appreciate the classics ?

    If so, would I be right in thinking Emmanuel Goldstein played the lead in the original of this ? ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seeker wrote: »
    Legal "rights" isn`t much of a fetish of mine, but on the balance of probabilities I`d say that the ones most likely to shoot me at this moment in space-time are the ones with the legal "rights" to own/carry one.

    Really what are you doing? Armed robbery?

    Now the chances of you being shot by anyone is pretty low, but I'd say the biggest likelihood of anyone shooting you is someone you know, followed by a criminal, followed by the police, followed by the armed forces.

    If you look at the number of shootings is this country, statistically the police are pretty low down and the army lower still
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Really what are you doing? Armed robbery?

    Now the chances of you being shot by anyone is pretty low, but I'd say the biggest likelihood of anyone shooting you is someone you know, followed by a criminal, followed by the police, followed by the armed forces.

    If you look at the number of shootings is this country, statistically the police are pretty low down and the army lower still

    I`d say the action of compliance is "the biggest likelihood" when someone is threatened with superior weaponry.

    That may have a bearing on your statistics.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seeker wrote: »
    Would you trust me to report back ?
    Unless you give me a reason not to. Bearing in mind I want to watch it myself later anyway.
    seeker wrote: »
    As a film fan, do you appreciate the classics ?

    If so, would I be right in thinking Emmanuel Goldstein played the lead in the original of this ? ;)

    Can't say I've seen it. Or read the book. But I hear the film isn't anywhere near as good as the book.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seeker wrote: »
    I`d say the action of compliance is "the biggest likelihood" when someone is threatened with superior weaponry.

    That may have a bearing on your statistics.

    I was right - you're an armed robber....
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seeker wrote: »
    Again, when and where did this happen ?

    Google the quote and you'll find about 89324823487238794 hits instead of asking the same fucking question three times.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Google the quote and you'll find about 89324823487238794 hits instead of asking the same fucking question three times.

    And ?

    You are not asking me to ask the alleged 89324823487238794 people you claim have heard him say it, are you ?

    Assuming you are not exaggerating that number, would any of them be able to answer my question ?

    Or would they be making a claim without providing the evidence like you appear to be doing ?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    after we took 5 of their diplomats in iraq mind you, ignoring the long observed rule of not arresting diplomats

    Wasn't that the Americans?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Once they have the weapons nobody would be able to prevent Iran from using them.

    I think that the argument goes - what's to stop the US/UK/Israel/China/France/Pakistan/India/Russia...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wasn't that the Americans?

    Also they weren't diplomats but consular staff (and not protected by diplomatic immunity). Anyway given the events of 1979 its hard for the Iranians to complain about others breaking diplomatic immunity...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that the argument goes - what's to stop the US/UK/Israel/China/France/Pakistan/India/Russia...

    I don't think any leader of the named countries has expressed a desire to wipe another country off the map - even in the darkest days of the tensions between India and Pakistan; nothing comes close to the rhetoric of Iran's president.

    That there is nothing to stop Russia, the UK, France or any other nuclear power does not make it acceptable for the extremist leader of a hostile power to acquire nuclear weapons. A nuclear Iran is not in the interests of the region - and given the hostile nature of Iran, a nuclear Iran would be a potential threat to Europe.

    But the EU and UN can dither. And European and American liberals can appease all they want. But lets face facts, anybody who thinks Israel is ever going to tolerate a nuclear Iran is deluded.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe if Israel weren't so keen to wipe out Palestine, things might be a little calmer.

    Just a thought, like.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Maybe if Israel weren't so keen to wipe out Palestine, things might be a little calmer.

    Just a thought, like.

    Probably so.

    But Israel seems to be immune from anything and everything. Criticism and international law.

    Much like the US is immune from international law, come to that.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think any leader of the named countries has expressed a desire to wipe another country off the map

    You seem to be implying that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has said that.

    I have no record of it but then my farsi isn`t too good.

    Could you enlighten me with when and where ?

    If it`s a big secret why not pm me, and I will confirm it publically.
Sign In or Register to comment.