Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Davina talks sex

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    **Helen** wrote: »
    :yes: that's exactly the question I pin-pointed.

I've got through nearly 40 years quite happily without ever giving it a second's thought. Can't imagine many people, male or female, know, or need to know, the answer to that.
  • Options
    The sex ed in my school was a nightmare. We hardly had any, and the only one I can even vaguely recall involved femidoms being passed around and alot of messing around.

My daughter is 6 and she already knows HOW a baby is made (my cousins girlfriend is pregnant and my daughter wanted to know how :blush: ), if she asks me questions I answer her, or at least say "thats a bit complicated for me to explain now properly but basically its.... and I'll explain more to you when you're a bit older.". Unlike my mum with me. At the age of 11 I was handed "Usborne Facts of Life" book and told to read it!
  • Options
    and I'll explain more to you when you're a bit older.".

Personally I've found that giving enough to satisfy at that moment is enough, but I never tell them that there's more "when you are older", it makes it sound like I don't trust them and they therefore won't trust me.

My eldest was 5 when his little brother was due and he asked me that questions I had been dreading - how will the baby get out. I replied that the doctor would get it out, expecting him to ask how, but he was happy with that!

He's 13 now and has been going through some sex ed at school. Referred to the birth video as "horror"...
  • Options
    He's 13 now and has been going through some sex ed at school. Referred to the birth video as "horror"...
    That could be the best weapon against teen pregancies we could unleash... :chin: :D
  • Options
    Is that the test that they all took in the programme? They made out it was just the basics that everyone should know. Some of those were pointless and were trick questions. But i didn't get all the way through, it stopped working.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd suggest the need to refocus sex education towards improving self-esteem, something that many people I know who have worked with people with STI infections/unwanted pregnancies see as a vital factor.

:yes:

I thought this person's take on it was pretty interesting:
    I must be the only person in the country who felt the stone cold claw of hypocrisy as Davina hauled her arse around the daytime chatshow sofas. PSHE aims to promote kindness, respect, responsibility and morality – exactly the things eroded by Big Brother, the show McCall is famous for presenting.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I didn't quite get the period question.

When will a girl start having her period ?

A. When she's about 7 1/2 stone.

So does that mean a 7 1/2 stone 4 year old will start having periods ? i thought periods was all about the body maturing/hormones etc, not weight.

nope, it weight related, that's why girls are starting earlier than they used to....

boys its not that related to weight, but extreme sizes of either way seem to slow it in boys

and to toadberg: the programme in holland deals with sex in the context of a relationship, rather than the purely biological side of it, and it doesnt promote sex but rather promotes the idea of only do what you feel you are ready to do - and it slowly builds it up, like 6 year olds learn physical differences between boys and girls and talk about what love means to them, and that there's nothing wrong in loving and showing you love them in general as long as they feel the same, no matter their gender as long you respect them and their choices

then they bring in health, stds and emphisise mutual respect as get to puberty age ie 11ish then between ages of 12-16 they show kids what masturbation is and how to put on condoms and keep reinforcing the you can say no when you want, and just do things when you are ready and that you should be honest with eachother
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd suggest the need to refocus sex education towards improving self-esteem, something that many people I know who have worked with people with STI infections/unwanted pregnancies see as a vital factor.

that's what the dutch focus on mainly, the rest are just tools for people for people to use when feel they are ready so they dont make silly mistakes and are responsible for themselves (both know how to put on condoms) and for eachother (by being able to communicate your desires well)

it's a good model, and takes about 20 years to become effective when the 2nd generation go through it and has to be implemented from a young age
  • Options
    I started mine about a week after i turned 12. My mum was really skinny and she didn't start till she was 14. One of my friends didn't start till about 15/16 and she was really skinny, and there was one girl who never started who hadn't changed since she was about 8!
    However, i have a quite big friend who was way more than 7 1/2 who didn't start till about 12/13. You start when your body is able to handle having a baby. But weight does determine that alot. Which is why your periods dissapear when you're too underweight.
  • Options
    relationships education is VITAL!

I think it was really good that they were teaching little kids the difference between loving someone and being in love...and how important it is to say no and to take no for an answer. yes, it was great that they taught girls how to put on condoms, and teaching 11 year olds about contraception, but i believe that the real basis for all of the is the relationships education.
  • Options
    it's a good model, and takes about 20 years to become effective when the 2nd generation go through it and has to be implemented from a young age

Which is the main problem. It costs money, and doesn't have those instant vote-winning results, which also makes it easy for the "sex is evil" brigade to attack.
  • Options
    relationships education is VITAL!

I think it was really good that they were teaching little kids the difference between loving someone and being in love...and how important it is to say no and to take no for an answer. yes, it was great that they taught girls how to put on condoms, and teaching 11 year olds about contraception, but i believe that the real basis for all of the is the relationships education.

Agreed. We never got taught naything about relationships and stuff so I was basically on my own when I had problems when it came to relationships nad sex. (as in being able to say no to sex and stuff)
  • Options
    Took it again and got 38. Some of them weren't essential to know though.
  • Options
    I got 23. Why are some of the questions repeated? And why/how would I now how many times a week a sinlge male masturbates?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    That could be the best weapon against teen pregancies we could unleash... :chin: :D

make people scared of giving birth? make them think that vaginas are horrible? thaty's a shit idea!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    make people scared of giving birth? make them think that vaginas are horrible? thaty's a shit idea!

Indeed it's not a good idea. It may also put older women off having children as well.
  • Options
    We had the obligitory Cathloic school, "the man put his erect penis into the woman's vagina" demonstrated by a nice animated cross section diagram.

For many many years i thought that was all you did and then instantly something amazing happened hahahaha
  • Options
    For many many years i thought that was all you did and then instantly something amazing happened hahahaha

You mean it isn't? That's where I've been going wrong. :chin: Maybe I should try moving or something.
  • Options
    I think its a good idea but your right it shouldnt have took a celebrity to raise awareness to the subject
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote: »
    I think its a good idea but your right it shouldnt have took a celebrity to raise awareness to the subject

davina was annoying it was watching the dutch school that done it for me