Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stabbings/ Knife Crime

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(Totally just stole this from BBC, but whatever)

What are your concerns about the violence that's emerged over these past months/years?

Should the penalities be harsher?

Have you lived anywhere thats had these kind of violent attacks?
hmmm....i'd like to hear what people have to say..

Comments

• Options
    You can't 'blame' anyone for this. No-one makes someone else go out and kill/stab anyone, do they? You are responsible for your ow actions.
  • Options
    Blame Canada.
  • Options
    Seriously though, sadly it has become acceptable to many kids (or perhaps deemed necessary) to carry a knife. A lot of people seem to have forgotten (or never learnt) the value of the sanctity of human life as well.

No easy solution but a mix of better education, more active involvement by parents (specially fathers) and much harshest penalties for those found carrying would be my suggestions.
  • Options
    What are your concerns about the violence that's emerged over these past months/years?

I'm concerned that I'm no longer shocked by these stories.
  • Options
    foxysoxy wrote: »

I'm concerned that the media are interested now but won't be soon...
  • Options
    Minimum sentences for people who carry. At the moment carrying a knife and acting like Snoop Dogg is "cool".
    The quicker we make them realise it isn't, the better. If that means sticking some of the idiots in prison until they rot as an example then so be it. If it saves lives then i'm all for it.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Minimum sentences for people who carry. At the moment carrying a knife and acting like Snoop Dogg is "cool".
    The quicker we make them realise it isn't, the better. If that means sticking some of the idiots in prison until they rot as an example then so be it. If it saves lives then i'm all for it.

so if someone kills with a screwdriver they should get less of a sentence...

manditory sentences don't work for a reason
  • Options

The law is very rarely a deterant, especially with the groups most likely to be involved in this sort of violence.
  • Options
    "don't be a sissy. We're all adults here. If someone stabs you, you just stab them right back."
  • Options
    Are there enough places in prison to even do this?
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Are there enough places in prison to even do this?

Of course not. There isnt the places for the people who are actually in prison at the moment, let alone any more.
  • Options
    But there's some who shouldn't be in prison and then those that should be there aren't, the laws a load of jank.

It should all start with young children, teach them that it's wrong to stab and the sort, like primary school age and they'll grow up knowing that's it wrong to kill and rob.
  • Options

Emerged? This isn't a new culture.
    Have you lived anywhere thats had these kind of violent attacks?

Close enough, I don't worry too much. Keep yourself to you yourself and you'll be all right. Though you do get the odd mentally ill person going on random attacks, in that case I believe these people should be alerted to authorities before they go on a rampage or kept under supervision until it's certain they won't go on one when released.
  • Options
    It's hard though to sometimes know if someones going to go on a rampage and even if you think they would sometime would you really alrert the authorities?

I know a few people who've been involved carrying knives and the sort, i can see someday something bad happening, it's just a matter of time around here at night sometimes.

But as yeroscrote said your usually fine if you keep yourself to yourself and don't go around looking for fights, although i'm sure it's worse over in London and Manchester and places like that than it is over here in a poxy little city like mine.
  • Options
    i find it pretty scary .. its definitely seen as acceptable and 'cool' by many youths

ive been close to carrying a knife myself at certain times of the year, solely for my own safety (or the opposite depending on what way you look at it)
  • Options
    Theres a real simple and easy way to solve the problem of crimes commited with knives, legalize guns. No one in their right mind will pull a knife ever again.:yes:
  • Options
    so if someone kills with a screwdriver they should get less of a sentence...

manditory sentences don't work for a reason

The law for knives is carrying a bladed article, or carrying an offensive weapon in public, there isn't one specifically for knives.
    Either way, they should have a mandatory minimum sentence. It isn't so much as a deterrent as a punishment and a way of keeping the streets safe for the law abiding public and keeping the scumbags that think it is acceptable to be part of a gang that terrorises the rest of us off the streets.

It won't be an immediate deterrent, but after a few gang members see their scumbag friends locked up for 5 years then maybe it'll make them think twice.
  • Options
    It won't be an immediate deterrent, but after a few gang members see their scumbag friends locked up for 5 years then maybe it'll make them think twice.

Maybe, or maybe the whole reason they are carrying knives around is they dont give a fuck about themselves or others.
  • Options
    Which is why they need to be locked up as punishment instead of as a deterrent for others.
    Whatever happens, as long as they aren't on the streets robbing people or just mindlessly stabbing them as we've seen recently in the news, then who cares where they end up? As long as they disapear for a decent length of time then i'm happy.
  • Options
    Locking people up will make them care about themselves and others? How's that work then?
  • Options
    Erm, I never said that. I said who cares if the scumbags who cause so much misery by randomly stabbing and robbing people end up rotting in prison?
  • Options
    Dunno 'bout you mate, but I'd like to see a decrease in people committing horrible violence. That means understanding the reasons why people do the things they do and not just locking people up.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Dunno 'bout you mate, but I'd like to see a decrease in people committing horrible violence. That means understanding the reasons why people do the things they do and not just locking people up.

I'd like to see that too, but how do you prevent people from comitting random acts of violence?
    Some of the recent murders were drug/gang related so they affect primarily the gang members.
    Others were robberies, and then most worryingly some were just acts of violence where taking some cash was an after-thought.

At the minute, carrying a knife and using it is "cool". How do you make it uncool? By ensuring every one stupid enough to use one in public is taken off the streets.
  • Options
    A lot of kids who get involved in crime are from broken families with a history of abuse. A lot of these kids have been excluded from mainstream education and are sent to EBD schools or PRU's. These places are supposed to help kids, but in my experience all they are is somewhere to put kids. No therapeutic work is done. If kids are not given proper boundaries and emotionally contained, they will act out violent impulses, especially if there is a history of abuse.
  • Options
    Which means the real answer is the return of discipline, in the home, in schools and on the street.

Kids need to know boundaries from a very early age, they need to know if they do something wrong, they will be punished. And that just isn't happening.
  • Options
    Punishment is not the same thing as establishing boundaries and emotional containment.
  • Options
    Children have to be taught from a very early age to grow up respecting others, alot of this lies with the parents.

It's not going to solve anything by just locking people up for a couple of years and that's what people are getting these days for knife crimes.
  • Options
    Which means the real answer is the return of discipline, in the home, in schools and on the street.

It's more than that. respect is another aspect, for example.
  • Options
    And how do you bring back respect? It seems to have totally disapeared.
    Respect for other people, respect for parents, respect towards authority. It's all gone.
    It's nothing to do with money, or lack thereof. I get shite from kids who get dropped off on a Friday night by parents driving a beamer, as much as the ones who live in a council house, sometimes more.
  • Options
    Rich people are just as capable of fucking up their kids as poor people y'know.