Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

graffiti...

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Worth noting, though this isn't a justification, that graffiti has been with us since the creation of cities, indeed an important and powerful part of the Roman political 'scandals'

So it would seem that regardless of why people do this (and I'd suggest something about the need to make a mark on areas where people feel they have little means to express themselves) it is a common and continual theme throughout human history.

And again, not a justification, just feels worth pointing out that the modern graffiti scene (the post 60s/70s hip-hop movement) is hardly a new or unique thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffitis

'Ancient graffiti

Historically, the term graffiti originally referred to the inscriptions, figure drawings, etc., found on the walls of ancient sepulchers or ruins, as in the Catacombs of Rome or at Pompeii. Usage of the word has evolved to include any decorations (inscribed on any surface) that one can regard as vandalism; or to cover pictures or writing placed on surfaces, usually external walls and sidewalks, without the permission of an owner. Thus, inscriptions made by the authors of a monument are not classed as graffiti.

The only known source of the Safaitic language, a form of proto-Arabic, is from graffiti: inscriptions scratched on to the surface of rocks and boulders in the predominantly basalt desert of southern Syria, eastern Jordan and northern Saudi Arabia. Safaitic dates from the 1st century B.C. to the 4th century A.D.

The first known example of "modern style" graffiti survives in the ancient Greek city of Ephesus (in modern-day Turkey) and appears to advertise prostitution, according to the tour guides of the city. It stands near the long mosaic and stone walkway and consists of a handprint, a vaguely heart-like shape, a footprint and a number. This purportedly indicates how many steps one would have to take to find a lover, with the handprint indicating payment.

The Romans carved graffiti into their own walls and monuments, and examples of their work also exist in Egypt. The eruption of Vesuvius preserved graffiti carved on the walls of Pompeii, including everyday Latin insults, magic, love declarations, alphabets, political consigns, and quotations from famous literature, offering us a direct insight into ancient Roman street life.

It was not only the Greeks and Romans that produced graffiti: the Mayan site of Tikal in Guatemala also contains ancient examples. Viking graffiti survive in Rome and at Newgrange Mound in Ireland, and a Varangian scratched his name (Halvdan) in runes on a banister in the Hagia Sophia at Constantinople. When Renaissance artists such as Pinturicchio, Raphael, Michelangelo, Ghirlandaio or Filippino Lippi descended into the ruins of Nero's Domus Aurea, they carved or painted their names and returned with the grottesche style of decoration. There are also examples of graffiti occurring in American history, such as Signature Rock; a national landmark along the Oregon Trail.'
  • Options
    If anyone watched HBOs Rome they did pictures all over the city of someone shagging someone else. I can't remember who though. I think it was Caesar and his lover. Then he renounced her and she got mega pissed off.

I think :confused:
  • Options
    Seliva wasn't it? Though take Rome with a pinch of salt
  • Options
    Well yea I would, but I enjoyed the series :D

And there was political graffiti back then
  • Options
    Graffiti has always been around, and always been around. Just as some people will show artistic talent or wit when doing it, some will just seek to destroy the efforts of others. I don't think you could stamp it out.

I'd still like to see taggers lick clean the mess they make.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Worth noting, though this isn't a justification, that graffiti has been with us since the creation of cities, indeed an important and powerful part of the Roman political 'scandals'

Reminds me of The Life Of Brian. :D "Conjugate the verb to go."