Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

International Women's Day

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Marie Curie.

How'd I guess you'd say her :p

on another note, I guess one of the confusions about a women's day, is it's almost as ambigious as a 'human day', because if every woman that ever lived is being celebrated, I dunno, I think memorial days need more of a fine focus. There are more great women than we will manage to remember in this thread. But as to it also allowing the UN to focus on issues, that's good, but one wonders why they don't do that anyway??

Jeanne d'Arc!
  • Options
    Why do threads and/or convesations about women's issues often get hijacked?

"Women are raped" often leads to "but men are raped too!" debates. When it is suggested that women earn a third less you get the whole arguement that actually women are doing pretty damned well and over taking men in some areas... Yadda yadda.

At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with being a feminist and most feminists I know love both men and women (I don't mean in a bisexual way) and believe in equality. Why is there a women's day?

Because womanhood needs to be celebrated, but also because we need to be aware of what many women go through globally. Feminism is something which needs to expand. Anybody who thinks that women are universally more equal or at least as equal as men need only type in "domestic violence", "rape as a weapon of war" or "comfort women" to understand just how much this world needs feminism, as a global movement of women from all cultures (or at the beginning from cultures where we can speak out) fighting to make the world understand that we're more than sexual objects, more than posessions... That we deserve rights to our bodies.

Yes, we should talk about both masculism and feminism, but anybody who thinks that women have more rights, freedom and respect in this world need to hop off of cloud nine and join reality.

As for feminism in the UK, you only need to look at people's attitudes to rape and rape conviction to understand that feminism is still needed for that little boost to equality. Legally we're equal, of course but culturally there are times when we're still oppressed. A lot of Londoners don't understand what it's like to be sexually assulted on the job and have their boss laugh at them for example. There are parts of the UK which are still more sexist than others and anybody who doesn't believe that needs to go to a working class town like Wrexham and work a bar job as a woman.
  • Options
    :heart:

Are you for real?

The least relevant posts on this thread have been yours. We haven't all agreed so far but at least we are putting forward our thoughts and then debating them. Seriously, if you're not interested and find people "up themselves" then fair enough, but to come in implying that everyone is boring, up themselves and hijacking a thread in which there has been discussion and a lot of passionate thought is really ignorant.

If your implication was that I hijacked the thread then I apologise [if I did] but I think my contribution - even if tangential - was a lot more valid and helpful than yours. If you thought the thread was - as you claim - interesting to begin with then maybe contributing something relevant to steer the dicussion in a more relevant direction would be better than coming in on your high horse and saying "blah blah blah".

KingofGlasgee, it's cool, I'm prone to losing my rational head at times when discussing women's rights ;) Will pop over to P&D now I think, it's nothing if not a really interesting - and complex - topic.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Aunt Bessie - God bless you for helping those too stupid to mix flour, egg and milk or peel a potato :D

:lol: Cheeky sod!
  • Options
    I would say, all the women in Nanking / Nanjing should never be forgotten, their experience was worse than hell on Earth. It's a shame though, that their reason of note is because of their suffering, and not because of their actions.

Cleopatra from Eygpt :yes:
  • Options
    Fair enough, you're entitled to not like the content of any given thread. Though I'm not sure why you're taking that patronising tone, at all. I can only guess you're trying to piss me off with your "briggs darling", how bizarre. Also not entirely sure why you feel you are some kind of thread-policing authority who can tell people what they should and shouldn't be discussing on a discussion board, but whatever passes the time eh.

I personally don't see the harm in discussing issues directly linked to the original topic, especially since it makes things a lot more interesting than a thread of posts where people come along and post half a dozen names. There's no harm in letting a thread grow a little in a direction other than the original topic - I'm sure MoK wasn't too upset about it :)
  • Options
    Delia Smith!
    Princess Diana
  • Options
    Denied!

well, not delia, because I think she's ace, but Princess Diana? no, if she hadn't died in a car crash you wouldn't have said her.
  • Options
    the OP was just asking for people to name some important women figures in the history of the world in celebration of Women's Day and all. So, in that light, all the posts debating a Man's day are no more relevant

Listen Sweetcheeks, the OP was glorifying women's achievements in the face of male "oppression", therefore the fact that the first response related to "men's day" was hugely relevant because it underlined the point which was being made (whether it meant to or not) - the whole basis, in fact, for International Women's Day in the first place.

Thanks for you contribution though.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Princess Diana

You are having a fucking laugh. :no:
  • Options
    Princess Diana
    :eek2:

No.

I have one though:

Sophie Scholl.
  • Options
    I nominate my mum, woo.
  • Options
    You are having a fucking laugh. :no:

You can't *not* include people, seriously.

She raised the profile of people who were maimed and injured by landmines, and that's what I remember her for, and everyone gets a bit sensationalist, but I think she made her mark as a great person, whether she died in a car accident or not.
    In 1987, when so many still believed that AIDS could be contracted through casual contact, Princess Diana sat on the sickbed of a man with AIDS and held his hand. She showed the world that people with AIDS deserve no isolation, but compassion and kindness. It helped change world's opinion, and gave hope to people with AIDS.
    Robin Cook wrote:
    All Honourable Members will be aware from their postbags of the immense contribution made by Diana, Princess of Wales to bringing home to many of our constituents the human costs of landmines. The best way in which to record our appreciation of her work, and the work of NGOs that have campaigned against landmines, is to pass the Bill, and to pave the way towards a global ban on landmines.

Don't care if she was a whore in her spare time (I heard this somewhere?), she has directly and indirectly improved the lives of a lot of people.
  • Options
    Didn't know Bill and Robin posted on these boards, especially from the dead for Rob :p

They have aliases (aliai?) ;) you never know who you could be talking to!
  • Options
    The sticking point for a lot of people about Diana is that - of course - she should be celebrated for her achievements in raising awareness of HIV AIDS and her other charitable work, but she's not quite the same as other "civilian" notable women.

I have no problem with her being celebrated. But it's difficult for a lot of people to herald her as she did do all she did from a position of HUGE advantage where she didn't have to sacrifice or strive to make the changes she did or go to the places she did. It's wonderful that she used her advantage to help people other than herself, but it's like the parable of the widow's mite. When you have more it's kind of expected that you'll give and do more, whereas a completely ordinary woman who went on to change the world through feminist thought or civil rights activism or breaking ground in politics seems like a much more likely candidate.

If that makes sense :)

However, since this (well, yesterday) was a day for any and ALL women I guess any name thrown into the ring is acceptable. Especially since it's not like there are awards given out, it's just a time to personally appreciate the women who've changed the world. Anyone goes, with a very few notable exceptions.
  • Options
    I get you briggi, but I think in some sense it's unfair to make the contributions by 'well done by' women less significant than those who've had literally nothing. But anyway, I wanted to say, Elizabeth II has been pretty dull, and she's got more money than sense. Not saying you're doing that at all, just that I think if someone has a lot of money, why should their sacrifice be less incredible than anyone elses, they're the same blood and bones after all.

I think, it's great giving money, but some people actually do get out there and do serious on the ground work. Ewan McGregor for Unicef, for example.

Paula Radcliffe :)
    Kelly Holmes, dual gold ftw!
  • Options
    ANNA HEMMINGS! Fuck yes.
  • Options
    My History teacher.

She is ace :yes:.
  • Options
    Pippa Funnell?

Thrashing men at eventing surely is triumphing in the face of male adversity :D (tbf, women pwn men most of the time at eventing anyway)
  • Options
    I get you briggi, but I think in some sense it's unfair to make the contributions by 'well done by' women less significant than those who've had literally nothing. But anyway, I wanted to say, Elizabeth II has been pretty dull, and she's got more money than sense. Not saying you're doing that at all, just that I think if someone has a lot of money, why should their sacrifice be less incredible than anyone elses, they're the same blood and bones after all.

I think, it's great giving money, but some people actually do get out there and do serious on the ground work. Ewan McGregor for Unicef, for example.

Paula Radcliffe :)
    Kelly Holmes, dual gold ftw!

Oh absolutely. I mean, if you have money or don't have money it's still good to do whatever is within your means. I just do think it detracts a little when someone hasn't struggled through diversity and hardship to do good - whether that is the right or wrong way to think is down to individual opinion.

Marilyn French
    Jeanette Winterson
    Margaret Atwood
    Anita Diamant
    Marie Stopes
    Naomi Wolf
    Camille Paglia
    Gloria Steinem
    Celia Sánchez
  • Options
    Surely the good being done is the main thing, whether they have struggled to do it or not seems slightly (although not entirely) irrelevant.
  • Options
    You know, I feel embarressed, I'm not recognising any of these names :blush:
  • Options
    Am i the only person that can't name anyone?
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    Am i the only person that can't name anyone?

Surely you know Delia Smith! :o
  • Options
    Surely you know Delia Smith! :o

What the old dear that cooks? Yes.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    What the old dear that cooks? Yes.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Well yeah, it is irrelevant but that's definitely why the majority of people feel that way. We should just be able to look at someone and judge them on the good they've done but we're not always able to be so kind-hearted and our judgement is clouded by our opinions of other aspects of their lives. A bit sad, but probably true. I suppose also there can be side issues where people suspect celebrities doing humanitarian work are self-publicising, or something.

The work she did abroad was fantastic and should be appreciated, but I think the fact that she died meant she was almost canonised and her works became hugely magnified. I can understand feeling annoyance that she was shouted from the rooftops as an angelic being, when a lot of people who aren't as photogenic and don't have a right royal backstory are completely ignored by the AP and Joe Public.

That said a lot of people dislike Princess Di for completely unrelated and assorted reasons, so it's difficult to guage exactly the specific why of the vitriol.

Joni Mitchell
    Sylvia Plath
    Was it ShyBoy who said Joan of Arc? Right on :thumb:
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Sophie Scholl.
    Seconded. :yes:

Can't believe I forgot about her, her testimony is simply awe strucking.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    Seconded. :yes:

Can't believe I forgot about her, her testimony is simply awe strucking.
    Having written about her and the White Rose for my History coursework, I decided she was a bit fucking ace :yes:. Tempted to do more reading and stuff. Perhaps next pay day...
  • Options
    Briggi - I didn't mean it about anyone in particular, I was really commenting on your comment rather than sticking up for Diana. I agree with you completely about her though.