Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Am I fat?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    are you tall?? im 8st and i dont think i'd get into size 6's, well i might but it would be a tight fit
    im 8st, yet Im a size 10
    Im 5ft 6.
    Most people who weigh the same as me, get into a smaller dress size than me - im not sure why that is, but i guess its this bone structure we talked about.
  • Options
    im 8st, yet Im a size 10
    Im 5ft 6.
    Most people who weigh the same as me, get into a smaller dress size than me - im not sure why that is, but i guess its this bone structure we talked about.
    yeah it'll be your shape, though you're taller than me :confused:
  • Options
    Ive got quite a wide pelvis which means I often have to buy a 10 in trousers (depends on the shop though). Tops, I usually buy an 8 because I have no tits.
  • Options
    Ive got quite a wide pelvis which means I often have to buy a 10 in trousers (depends on the shop though). Tops, I usually buy an 8 because I have no tits.
    im the opposite, i'm an 8 in trousers, size 8 tops fit my body cept my boobs sometimes are abit squished, so i sometimes have to go for 10's which fit my chest but are abit too baggy on the body
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    are you tall?? im 8st and i dont think i'd get into size 6's, well i might but it would be a tight fit

no, i'm 5'4". depends where you carry it i guess. i think a lot of mine is on my boobs and i have quite muscley legs. not like yucky ones, nice ones!
  • Options
    same height as me!! i think my weight goes to my stomach, it's the least toned part of me, my legs and bum are fine due to years of ballet, need to work on the stomach now though.
  • Options

probably. my mum wears a 14, but she only weighs about 9st (she's 5'4''). It's cause all her weight is on her belly and hips, and she still has little skinny arms and legs.

dress size is just a number, anyway. if you look good, and you feel good it doesn't matter what the number on your clothes says.
  • Options
  • Options
    i weigh 11 st at 5'8" I wear 10-14 and am not fat.
  • Options
    easy way to tell if your fat ...jump up and down and see how much stuff has to catch up with you ...how much stuff is moving that shouldn't be ...simple realy.

blaahh all these people with their different shapes, weight and dress sizes!
    i dont think it matters everyone is different, you could be size 16 but not fat. It depends on personal statictics!
    i would say if your toned you fine, whatever your size!!!
    morrocan roll is right if your wobbely thats not good!
    although saying that even though im a size 10 i could do with a bit of toning up!!!!! might try yoga!
  • Options
    Well, I'm 11 and a half stone, size 14, 5'6. I was a size 10 like, 3 years ago. I got my curves when I went onto depo provera.

I love my shape. :)
  • Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 - and she's one of the most beautiful women in the world, ever!
  • Options
    I'm 6'1", weight 6st and have just finished vomitting up that half cracker i ate earlier.

Am i beautiful yet?!?!?
  • Options
    I'm 6'1", weight 6st and have just finished vomitting up that half cracker i ate earlier.

Am i beautiful yet?!?!?

no youre not, you fat bastard!
    munching_out.gif
  • Options
    no youre not, you fat bastard!
    munching_out.gif

:D
  • Options
    Happybabe wrote:
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 - and she's one of the most beautiful women in the world, ever!
    yeh but if you look at photos of her she has high cheekbones, toned legs and a skinny waist!

not many size 16s can boast that :p

http://www.marilynmonroe.com/about/photos.html
  • Options
    She was a 16?!
  • Options
    she was a 16 a good few years ago. sizes were smaller then (rationing and so on, and also before vanity sizing). They say in modern sizes she's be a curvy 10/12.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    she was a 16 a good few years ago. sizes were smaller then (rationing and so on, and also before vanity sizing). They say in modern sizes she's be a curvy 10/12.
    that makes more sense
  • Options
    In any case, you can be a size 16 and not be "fat"..look at "plus size" models, they are usually very tall and broad, they don't tend to have cellulite and saggy flesh...just larger frames..more "meat" on them but all in proportion.

I find the starting post on this thread quite worrying on a website which is read by many young people who may suffer from poor body image: to tell them that "if your body moves a bit when you jump about, then you are FAT" is very irresponsible as far as I can see. Especially coming from a middle aged man. Small comments like that can trigger peoples eating disorders and body dysmorphia. I remember as a young teen boys calling me "fat" when I blatantly was not, at all, but it stayed in my mind and made me feel insecure.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I find the starting post on this thread quite worrying on a website which is read by many young people who may suffer from poor body image: to tell them that "if your body moves a bit when you jump about, then you are FAT" is very irresponsible as far as I can see. Especially coming from a middle aged man. Small comments like that can trigger peoples eating disorders and body dysmorphia. I remember as a young teen boys calling me "fat" when I blatantly was not, at all, but it stayed in my mind and made me feel insecure.
    Actually thats a very good point. My eating disorder wasnt triggered by magazines, it was by my dad kept blowing his cheeks out and making a fat face almost every time I ate anything one holiday - before that I hadnt even made any connection really between eating and weight - I was 15 - the same height I am now (5ft6) and weighed about 9 and a half stone. For four years after that holiday I made myself sick after practically everything I ate.
  • Options
    What is your BMI?

Incidently, I realise this is a bit late, but I wouldn't read too much into your BMI. They were produced during the War Era, when the population was significantly slimmer, therefore the BMI chart is out of context with todays society and body shapes.
  • Options
    Im a size 14 too im 5ft2 but 12 stone that would make me obese right?But im not like huge i have a wee bit of a tummy and curvy, but i do alot of cycling and hill walking too and so have quite muscular legs, i think its just sometimes hard to tell with BMI i would maybe call myself slightly overweight but it says im obese :confused:
  • Options
    Old thread. If you want to discuss issues about your own weight its probably best to start a new thread. In response to your question about BMI - it doesnt make any distinction between muscle and fat. So as you say you do a lot of cycling and hill walking you may have a fair bit of muscle. I wouldn't worry too much :)
  • Options
    Theres a body fat calculator here http://www.moneyforums.co.uk/healthcalc.php
  • Options
    Size 14 is not fat!

I've been reading this thread, and just wanted to say size 14 is NOT fat! I think people pay too much attention to the size of clothes. Being a curvy but fit girl myself, I know I'm in great shape, but just happen to have a big chest and am hippy, and fall between a 12-14. Remember when you are buying clothes that some shops make their sizes smaller.. if you are buying 'hipster' trousers, then the size you buy needs to fit over your hips... which ARE bigger than your waist!! If you have a big chest, ditto for tops.

I don't think anyone should should say a size 14 is fat - just because a person wears a size 14 doesn't mean they are big - just depends on their shape. I know loads of girls who workout and are in incredible shape but because of large leg muscles, etc. have to wear larger sizes.

So to all those lovely curvy women out there... embrace your curves - I bet you are much healthier on the inside than those sticks who are skinny on the outside but have no energy and couldn't carry a bag of groceries home from the supermarket themselves!! Sorry for the rant but couldn't help myself after reading some of the replies! I hope this makes the girl who initially posted this feel a bit better. xx
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Some people are just heavier than others (muscle?). I'm a 10 bottom and 12 top, which people associate with being about 9st but I actually struggle to remain under 10st. It's just one of those things. I'm only about 5ft 2 so it's not a height thing. That's why I hate the BMI scale.

To the OP, you may not be reading this anymore but I look at 80% of the women and I see and classify them as fat. The other 20% I classify as too skinny. But then I have issues. As long as you are healthy and happy with your body it's up to you.

ETA: I didn't spot the second page of this posting. Doh. Sorry if I repeated anything that's already been said.
  • Options
    I think you mean bingo wings dear!
  • Options
    This thread is OLD! :eek2: