Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Am I fat?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i want peoples honest opinions here. would you class size 14 as fat? i used to be size 8 about 2 years ago, i had an implant put in which made me put on a lot of weight. had it taken out, still didnt lose any weight. Just wondered if everyone else thought size 14 was fat? i know its not slim, but ya no. plz be honest.

Comments

• Options
    It totally depends on your height.
  • Options
    I think im about 5 ft 6
  • Options
    the uk size average for a woman of 5'6" is a size 14. cant remember where i read it, but you aren't fat!
    i used to be a 14, am now a 12/10. me personally, would consider a 'fat' person to be size 18/20+ but thats not to say people above a size 8 cant look good.
    How you look can greatly depend upon what you wear+how you feel about yourself!
    Do you feel that your weight is affecting your health??
    What is your BMI?
  • Options
    I wouldnt say you are fat.
  • Options
    wat do u mean by BMI? i feel that my health is fine, and i wear clothes that dont cling, but still show my curves. Its just self confidence really, bout how i looked before and how i look now. sometimes i look at myself and think how fat i look, then other times i will feel fine.
  • Options
    no, you're not.
  • Options
    body mass index: http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm
    try it, i bet you aren't overweight
  • Options
    Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    Overweight = 25-29.9

i got 24.9, so im only just in
  • Options
    No I don't think you're fat. I think a lot of girls look at them skinny models and think "Oh I don't look like that, I must be fat"
  • Options
    is it only because you are comparing yourself to what you used to be that your weight is causing you a problem? do you think there is an ideal size that you should be? do you feel comfortable as you are? i mean, obviously i cannot see you. but would you, yourself, consider someone else who says they are a "size 14" to be fat or not? my "honest opinion" is i'd hate myself if i were a size 14 - but i have lots of issues with food anyway. and apparantly the average size of women generally in the UK is a size 14 anyway so its perfectly normal as things go. but having said that, i would say that if you are not happy with your current weight, do something to try and fix the problem... if you are happy, then all well and good. :)
  • Options
    I don't like to call anyone "fat", its a nasty word. When i'm looking at girls i like them to be between a 10 and a 14. A curvy 14 is a very womanly size to be and not at all fat! Though i can understand your questioning, i'm a 12 but i still think i'm fat (yet i don't think this of others!), i blame the media!
  • Options
    i hate to say it but im an 8 and still have fat days :( but no, i dont look at size 14 women and think they're fat, though i do when i see chavvy teen girls who are quite curvy wearing clothes about 3 sizes too small with their stomaches hanging over the edge and you can see stretch marks and cellulite. Which doesn't help. But i think alot of women are beautiful size 14's :)
  • Options
    I identify as a 'big woman' at size 14-16 (I'm 5'3), but I'm also big boned.

Your clothes mainly affect how fat you look.
  • Options
    I'm a size 14 and I dont think I'm fat. Obviously I'm not stick thin but I've just got curves.
  • Options
    I identify as a 'big woman' at size 14-16 (I'm 5'3), but I'm also big boned.

Your clothes mainly affect how fat you look.
    i fail to understand this big boned stuff.
    looking at a skeleton ...could it be surmised that the person was fat?
  • Options
    i fail to understand this big boned stuff.
    looking at a skeleton ...could it be surmised that the person was fat?
    Big boned refers to your bodyframe. People have different body frames...
  • Options
    well it sounds like you're probably overweight for your height. but whatever, its what you feel happy with. im sure we all feel fat at some point whatever our size.
  • Options
    Big boned refers to your bodyframe. People have different body frames...
    i still don'tunderstand ...are the bones thicker ...wider ...longer or summat?
  • Options
    the uk size average for a woman of 5'6" is a size 14. cant remember where i read it, but you aren't fat!
    but why not? just because the average size has increased.. that only means society eats more crap and doesn't do enough exercise.
  • Options

well, no two bodies are exactly alike, are they?

take wrists, for example. wrists are usually one of the places with the least amount of fat and muscle. but some people have tiny wrists and some people have big wrists.
  • Options
    have you not noticed that women have different shapes?
    some women have small hips and small shoulders. whilst others have larger hips etc. the latter refer to themselves as big boned
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    have you not noticed that women have different shapes?
    some women have small hips and small shoulders. whilst others have larger hips etc. the latter refer to themselves as big boned
    yes but i often hear the big boned bit from people with huge round cheeks and big bums and bellies.
  • Options
    yes but i often hear the big boned bit from people with huge round cheeks and big bums and bellies.

My son is broad but hes not fat. Similar thing.

but yes some people do use it as an excuse. Me i am fat because i ate too much.
  • Options
    big boned means your big built, thats how you are naturally
  • Options
    easy way to tell if your fat ...jump up and down and see how much stuff has to catch up with you ...how much stuff is moving that shouldn't be ...simple realy.
  • Options
    The anorexic chicks, the model 6
    They don't hold no weight with me
    Well 8 or 9, well that's just fine
    But I like to hold something I can see ;)

Truer words never spoken :cool: .
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    well it sounds like you're probably overweight for your height. but whatever, its what you feel happy with. im sure we all feel fat at some point whatever our size.

but how can we judge whether she's overweight from her size of clothes? i'm a size 8 and still wear some size 6 trousers but i weigh 9 stone.
  • Options
    I dont think a size 14 is particularly fat for your height. I wouldnt say it was skinny, just pretty much normal.
    Im sure you dont need us on here to tell you though. You can only decide yourself what youre happy with when you see yourself.
  • Options
    but how can we judge whether she's overweight from her size of clothes? i'm a size 8 and still wear some size 6 trousers but i weigh 9 stone.
    are you tall?? im 8st and i dont think i'd get into size 6's, well i might but it would be a tight fit
  • Options
    Thnx everyone for your replies, i think from now on, im just gonna watch what I eat, Im not gonna go on a diet because ive tried it a million times and i always give in. So if im just more careful about what I eat, then hopefully something will change. I don't want to go back to being a size 8 because looking back on photo's, I look ill, even my friends say I look much healthier now, I looked like i was on drugs or summits, I was way too skinny. ideally, i'd like to be a 10-12, so maybe if I cut down on the fats and get the excersise video out, i will lose wieght.