Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

All England Club agrees to pay women equal prize money

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6385295.stm

About time too.

I don't care much for the number of sets played. If that really held any water then male players who win their games in straight sets should have had 2/5 of their prize money substracted. It's all about the spectacle not about the amount of tennis played.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The only instance where they should ever be seperate in my opinion, is if the television and advertising contracts for each tournament were seperate. As it is, if it's a single tournament, then the proceeds should be divided equally, as is the case with the football TV money.
  • Options
    I personally don't think they should be paid equally.

I'm all for sexual equality and all that but they do not play the same game. Women play 2 fewer sets than men. Men's tennis is longer, more physically demanding and thus the two games are not equal and thus they should not be paid the same for what is essentially a shorter form of the game. If the games were the same length, I would be the first person to call for equal prize money but that isn't the case.
  • Options
    The women have offered to play 5 sets, but organisers have rejected it for whatever reason (probably because they feel it'd be unsafe).
  • Options
    The women have offered to play 5 sets, but organisers have rejected it for whatever reason (probably because they feel it'd be unsafe).

Time constraints I guess :yes:
  • Options
    Am I the only one who prefers to watch women's tennis on grass? Granted, it's always a pleasure to watch the likes of Roddick, Federer or Nadal. But I'd much rather watch a women's game than a game between two male players in the top 20 or 30 where 90% of the points consist of serve, rest and volley.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Am I the only one who prefers to watch women's tennis on grass?

Yes, but not for the reasons you mentioned :D

Nah, I think the womens game is a good bit more open at the minute than the men's. Federer is a bit of a machine, but it's good to see Andy Murray coming onto a game :thumb:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Yep. :D
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    LOL :D
  • Options
    Its good to know what Sharapova probably sounds like during sex if we take the noises she makes during tennis. ;)

But on a serious note. Yay.
  • Options
    Theres two sides to it... first off in most sport women can't generally compete properly with men because of how theyre built naturally, but it doesn't mean that they don't train just as hard and put just as much time in - if you look at it that way they definately deserve equal prize money...

But a lot of sport comes down to entertainment - for example football... sponsors just get so much more exposure from mens football, wayyy more people watch it, it would be tough to give equal pay to womens football, even if they deserve it (itd just be illogical for sponsors).

I think they've got it spot on in the tennis though...
  • Options
    The difference has been largely symbolic (about £20,000) in the last few years, so it doesn't make sense to have inequality.

I think the two games, whilst not being exactly the same, are of equal worth and equal merit, and the pay should be equal accordingly. It isn't like women's football where 3 men and a dog turn up to watch, women's tennis is probably more watched and more commercially successful than the men's game.

And I for one could happily sit and look at Sharapova's delightful little bottom all day long.
  • Options
    I have a problem with this decision purely on the basis of equal sets. Same pay, same job -- that's equality.

If a woman at my work only did a maximum 3 day week (min 2) whilst I was expected to do a minimum 3 (maximum 5) then the pay difference would be pro-rata and I don't see any difference here- although I would advocate payment based on minum expected sets for men would only get 1/3 more.

I really struggle to find how anyone can defend parity TBH.

In many other sports the game is the same, track and field it's same disatnces run, for example. However, I have heard the "spectator" aspect mentioned and I suppose that account could be made for that, but even then I am not sure that parity is fair.
  • Options
    To be honest, I think the whole "they play fewer sets" argument is spurious. Does the winner of the men's game get less money if he wins the final in 3 sets? Of course he doesn't, and nor should she.

The only justification for paying women's champions less is that their game is less commercially successful- i.e. they make less money for the LTA. The women's game is probably more commercially successful (the games are better, the scenery is better) than the man's game.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the whole "they play fewer sets" argument is spurious. Does the winner of the men's game get less money if he wins the final in 3 sets? Of course he doesn't, and nor should she.

So the tournament is just a single match?
  • Options
    Its about time too ... that brought in equal rights along time ago. Its a bit worrying that it hasnt penetrated into the sports world. But there is a still a long way to go. After all if you flick through the sports pages in a newspaper. It is totally male dominated and your lucky to find half a page for a sporting female success...

Its a step ultimately in the right direction but it will take a lot longer to change the set minds that womens sport is inferior
  • Options
    Pjs wrote: »
    Its a step ultimately in the right direction but it will take a lot longer to change the set minds that womens sport is inferior
    That's not the issue though. The reason that women's sport don't get as much coverage, and as much money as the mens, is because in the case of most sports people don't enjoy watching it as much. Women's football for example, simply isn't as popular among spectators as men's football. It's all well and good talking about equality, but the fact is that if advertisers can't make as much money sponsoring the women's game as the men's, then there will never be equality. And without trying to sound sexist, people tend to enjoy watching sport being played at the highest level, because it's more entertaining, which in most cases, is the men's game. I don't think it's a case of changing viewers attitudes, because I don't think people prefer men's sports for sexist reasons, rather reasons of quality.

Of course in the case of Wimbledon, it is the whole tournament that is sponsored. Therefore, the proceeds should be split evenly between the winners of the mens and womens winners.
  • Options
    So the tournament is just a single match?

The pay for the men's champion isn't pro-rata depending on how many sets he played, so I fail to see why that argument is sufficient justification for paying the female champion less. If we have it so that you get paid per set played, then you might have a point.

Football in the US is the reverse of the usual, in that the women's game is seen as superior and the women are paid more accordingly. Tennis is an exceptional sport because the women's game is the equal of the men's, both in terms of quality and commercial opportunity.
  • Options
    The pay for the men's champion isn't pro-rata depending on how many sets he played, so I fail to see why that argument is sufficient justification for paying the female champion less. If we have it so that you get paid per set played, then you might have a point.

I go back to my first post where I asid that the men should be paid 1/3 more. I argue that on the basis of the minimum sets expected.

It's a farce that the person expected to play less should get paid the same amount. You would through a hissy-fit if the same approach applied in your office.
  • Options
    Football in the US is the reverse of the usual, in that the women's game is seen as superior and the women are paid more accordingly.

It can be viewed as sexiest. Im with stupids view of watching the heighest quality sport ever is men should be played more but that is not the case.

Another isssue comes form volleyball: mens game ultimately more faster but who has to wear the least itmes of clothing .... of cause the women. This is an inbalance that goes way beyond just straight fees but can be reflected in them.
  • Options
    That's not the issue though. The reason that women's sport don't get as much coverage, and as much money as the mens, is because in the case of most sports people don't enjoy watching it as much. Women's football for example, simply isn't as popular among spectators as men's football.

I don't understand why though. I watched the women's FA cup final last year and found it much more enjoyable, for a start if the women were tackled they didn't throw themselves through the air and lie on the ground screaming and crying milking for a foul or free kick or penalty, they tried desperately to stay on their feet and keep control of the ball.
    Quite frankly there being next to no diving is enough of a reason for me for the women's game of footy to be fifty billion times better than the mens. So what if they don't have the power to drill it home from 40 yards out, how often does that really happen in mens anyway?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I don't understand why though. I watched the women's FA cup final last year and found it much more enjoyable, for a start if the women were tackled they didn't throw themselves through the air and lie on the ground screaming and crying milking for a foul or free kick or penalty, they tried desperately to stay on their feet and keep control of the ball.

You can't base there being no diving on one cup final. I watched a few games in the womens' world cup and saw women going down easy all the time, under much less punishing challenges than in the mens' game.

So what if they don't have the power to drill it home from 40 yards out, how often does that really happen in mens anyway?

It's not just all about men being more powerful though. In terms of technique and ability the womens' game is nowhere near. From watching the womens' world cup, I'd compare it to conference football. I'm not being sexist, it was just what I thought. People want to watch the sport being played at the highest levels.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Quite frankly there being next to no diving is enough of a reason for me for the women's game of footy to be fifty billion times better than the mens. So what if they don't have the power to drill it home from 40 yards out, how often does that really happen in mens anyway?

By that logic then, you don't understand why the Nationwide Conference is less popular than the Champions League?
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    From watching the womens' world cup, I'd compare it to conference football. I'm not being sexist, it was just what I thought. People want to watch the sport being played at the highest levels.

That's just a question of investment then. Women can play a game different to men but just as interesting and exciting.

The two best women's ultimate teams in the country
    the two best student women's ultimate teams in the country
    two of the best men's ultimate teams in the country

Now I accept that you probably don't know good ultimate from bad, the men and women's games are different but both awesome

ETA: if I can find another good clip of a typical men's game I'll put it up.

Also, I'm with Stupid, no that's not the point, quality if lacking (and I don't really watch a lot of footy so probably wouldn't know) is just a question of time and investment, as it is with most things
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Also, I'm with Stupid, no that's not the point, quality if lacking (and I don't really watch a lot of footy so probably wouldn't know) is just a question of time and investment, as it is with most things

So why is the women's game in the USA, despite receving huge funding and investment, not up to scratch then? If your theory was true, women's ability in the USA should equate to that of the men at the top level.

Time and investment might be crucial factor in most things, but it's not in sport where raw ability is much more important. There's only so far time and investment can go.

I don't know anything about frisbee, apart from it's a good thing to have down the park in the summer, so I can't comment on those videos. If, in your opinion, the women's game is better or just as good as the men's, then that's fair enough. I like watching women's sports, well tennis mostly, because it's different from the men's. You don't often just have a big serve and return. But, despite enjoying women's tennis I'd still rather watch a men's game to see the sport being played at the best level IMO.
  • Options
    So why is the women's game in the USA, despite receving huge funding and investment, not up to scratch then? If your theory was true, women's ability in the USA should equate to that of the men at the top level.

It depends on what you mean by equation, though, doesn't it.

Most women are not built like Emile Heskey or Nemanja Vidic, and so the women's game relies less on physical presence- you don't get a Big Forward in the women's game.

In terms of skill women can be a match for men, and the best players in the women's game are a match for men in terms of skill and ball control. Certainly the Swedish women's team would give a lot of Premiership players a run for their money in terms of skill and ability, but they couldn't cope so well with a set of cloggers like Bolton in a physical game.

In the US the women's game probably is an equal of the men's game. But for most countries the women's game isn't a match because its still an amateur game.
    The men's and women's game in tennis are different, and if the women's champion went up against the men's champion she would probably lose, but only an idiot would try and claim that the women's game wasn't as good as the men's game.
  • Options
    In terms of skill women can be a match for men, and the best players in the women's game are a match for men in terms of skill and ball control.

I'm going to contest this on the grounds that football players e.g. wingers do not need to be powerhouses to be good players. If women have ball control and skill to match men then they'd be able to play at the same level, but they don't. I saw supposedly the best female player in the world (Birgitte Prinz) at the women's world cup, and she was relatively ordinary. Decent touch and she can certainly play, but nothing you wouldn't see from a decent player at championship level. I saw a Brazilian player Marta who is supposedly the female Ronaldinho, but she seemed a bit more like an average winger to me. She actually reminded of Ivan Sproule who plays for Hibs in her style. Nice running with a bit of skill, but wouldn't stand a chance against a good defender.

The men's and women's game in tennis are different, and if the women's champion went up against the men's champion she would probably lose, but only an idiot would try and claim that the women's game wasn't as good as the men's game.

I enjoy the women's game, but regardless of power, in terms of technical ability, some of the things players like Federer and Nadal do are never replicated in a women's match. That's why I enjoy watching the men's more. But I'd still rather watch the best women over some big serving eastern European powehouse male, because the women's technical game would be better.
  • Options
    I'm going to contest this on the grounds that football players e.g. wingers do not need to be powerhouses to be good players.

No, but they have to have enough about them to withstand being repeatedly clobbered by a full back in the Dixon or Winterburn mould. Ronaldo is a traditional winger but he's only so good because he's strong enough to muscle tough full backs off the ball. Without his physical presence he'd be half the player he is.

Football is more than about pure skill, otherwise Bolton would be in the Conference.
  • Options
    No, but they have to have enough about them to withstand being repeatedly clobbered by a full back in the Dixon or Winterburn mould. Ronaldo is a traditional winger but he's only so good because he's strong enough to muscle tough full backs off the ball. Without his physical presence he'd be half the player he is.

Football is more than about pure skill, otherwise Bolton would be in the Conference.

I agree, and sure Ronaldo is tough, but a dainty little winger can do quite well for himself at lower levels of football and sometimes higher level (SWP, Lennon) without having the physical presence. You'll never see Lennon brushing away a defender's challenge, but his technical ability and skill means he doesn't have to. If the female Ronaldinho was technically as gifted as any other winger I'd back the point that she's just as good, but she's not. She might stand out against her peers, just like my wee brother stands out in the U-14s, but she's a relatively average player.
  • Options
    You'll never see Lennon brushing away a defender's challenge, but his technical ability and skill means he doesn't have to.

And much as I like Lennon as a player, he's quite often anonymous against the top teams. He's also not that weak, he won't be kicked out of a game.

There are so many variables its impossible to compare the two games to be honest, but if the women's game had the funds and the training facilities of the men's game the difference in class would be a lot different. The best women could cut it at the top level in terms of skill, with access to the training of the top teams, but skill isn't the only thing that makes a player successful, and there are plenty of tricky wingers who have been abject failures because of the physical side of the game.
  • Options
    The best women could cut it at the top level in terms of skill, with access to the training of the top teams, but skill isn't the only thing that makes a player successful
    Then how do you explain the absence of women from sports that are entirely skill based, and where players don't recieve huge funding to train? Why are their no women at the top in sports like Snooker, darts, shooting and motor racing? Obviously I wouldn't expect a 50/50 split, because they are traditionally male activities, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a few women at any one time that compete with the men, and to have a number of world champions equivalent to the percentage of women that make up the number of competitors in these sports?