Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Changing course?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kazbo wrote: »
    If you don't get accepted for the transfer in time you'll have to do the resits to keep your options open. Unless you are 100% certain you don't want to continue with maths whatever happens.

I cant see myself carrying on with maths though :(
  • Options
    Ok, so first draft of 'why I want to do this course', any thoughts:

I've always been interested in Mathematics and problem solving, which is why I chose to do a Mathematics degree initially. However, after the first term I realised it was much more 'pure' than I would have liked, whereas I enjoy solving real world problems and having a greater range of content to think about. I first learned about degrees in Management through a friend who is starting one, and having read about it ? looking at and solving real life problems ? it sounds like just the kind of thing I would find interesting. The accountancy and business finance aspect appeals to me because I've always been numerate, and have a good head for numbers and statistics. I'd also like to prepare myself for a career in business, and having looked at the modules of the course, they seem like they'll give me a good understanding of business and financial planning and reporting. My brother is the managing director of a company and I had the opportunity last summer to do some work experience with him, and I took a lot from his experience, and came to realise that helping to organise and run a business is the kind of career I would like.

Obviously will neaten it up when I'm happy with it, my emphasis was just on getting thoughts down. I wasn't sure how to approach this, whether to try and write something perfect, or just be really honest. I've tried the second approach, to not think about what I'm writing and just write it. But then rather than sending it off like that, I'd thought I'd have you guys double check it.

Also, it's 202 words :grump: where it needs to be <200.

I'm going to make a start on the next one now, how do i learn!
  • Options
    If you don't know for definite what you are going to do instead then you should do your resits. If you decide to look at accountancy at other uni's you'll have a much stronger application if you manage to get some kind of pass in your first year, and if you decide uni isn't for you then it'll look better to whatever you decide to do instead.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to take a leave of absence as soon as it's gone through really. There's no notes for the Maths anyway, no reference books, and I've missed out on a bit already and so now I don't understand the stuff this term, which is why really I want to get the transfer sorted ASAP one way or another...
  • Options
    There are plenty of books on Maths, you just have to make an effort to find them.

I would strongly recommend that you continue putting the effort in on your current course until you have been accepted onto the other course for next year and granted a leave of abscense.

I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic, but you haven't got the A level grades they usually ask for, and you haven't got good grades this year, so don't go getting too carried away with assuming that you will get onto the course.
  • Options
    There are plenty of books on Maths, you just have to make an effort to find them.

I would strongly recommend that you continue putting the effort in on your current course until you have been accepted onto the other course for next year and granted a leave of abscense.

I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic, but you haven't got the A level grades they usually ask for, and you haven't got good grades this year, so don't go getting too carried away with assuming that you will get onto the course.

You're right. Might pop down to the library tonight and get out some relevant books.
  • Options
    In the space provided below, please tell us, in no more than 200 words, why you would like to study management?
    I've always been interested in Mathematics and problem solving, which is why I chose to do a Mathematics degree initially. However, after the first term I realised it's much more 'pure' than I would have liked, whereas I enjoy solving real world problems and having a greater range of issues to think about. I first learned about degrees in Management through a friend who is starting one, and having read about it – looking at and solving real life problems – it sounds like just the kind of thing I would find interesting. The accountancy and business finance aspect appeals to me because I've always been numerate, and have a good head for numbers and statistics. I'd also like to prepare myself for a career in business, and having looked at the modules of the course, they seem like they'll give me a good understanding of business and financial planning. My brother is the managing director of a company and I had the opportunity last summer to do some work experience with him, and I took a lot from his experience, and came to realise that helping to organise and run a business is the kind of career I would like.

In the space provided below, try to summarise your strengths as a learner. You may also wish to comment on aspects of your learning you’d like to improve.
    I've always been good at learning and remembering things quite quickly, and throughout my education it has worked to my benefit – I've been able to see a teacher go through something once and remember it. I work best when I am in the right environment for work, for example at college I would do my homework in the library during school time, rather than wait till I got home, because then I would relax and find it difficult to get started again. I would like to break this mental mould I've got though, as being a student is demanding and often requires unusual studying hours, whereas to thrive I've depended on strict timetables and organisation. However, I do find that when I have a book in front of me I will concentrate and don't tend to get distracted, and can often take in a lot of fairly detailed information.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    Hey sorry to bump this but I'm handing it in tomorrow and just wondered if I'd made any obvious mistakes :) thanks
  • Options
    I'd probably write for the 1st one:

I initially chose to do a Mathematics degree because of my love of problem solving and my analytical skills. However, after participating in the first term of the Mathematics degree I have realised that there is a greater emphasis on pure Mathematics than I had expected. This has caused me to dislike the course because my true enjoyment comes from solving real world problems, giving me a greater range of issues to think about and focus on. I learnt about the degrees in Management through a friend who is currently studying one. Having done some research into those on offer I feel this course would both interest and motivate me. The accountancy and business finance aspects appeal because I have a good head for numbers and statistics. Last summer I had the opportunity to do some work experience with my brother, who is a Managing Director. From this I gained a lot of experience and realised that helping to organise and run a business is the career path I would like to follow. I feel that this course will give me a good understanding of business and financial planning and prepare me for my chosen career.

and for the 2nd:

I have always been a speedy learner and find it easy to remember things quickly. Throughout my education this has worked to my benefit because I have been able to see a teacher explain something once and remember it. I work best when I am in a good environment and thrive off strict timetables and organisation. For example, at college I would do my homework in the library during school hours, rather than waiting until I got home. If I did not do this, then I would relax and struggle to become motivated again. This is a mental attitude I would like to break as I understand that being a student is demanding and often requires unusual studying hours. However, in general, whenever I have a book in front of me I am able to concentrate and take a great deal of detailed information in without getting distracted.

But was good really in the 1st place. Oh and I have had a few to drink tonight so don't trust me that much.
  • Options
    Here's a thought for you though.

How come, all my friends think I'm really clever, like amongst the brightest people they know, and I can't do Uni, when loads and loads of people can? I mean the government is trying to push 50% to go to uni, if I can't hack it, does that mean I'm in the stupid half of the country?

I never realised it was going to be this hard, you know. I just thought, yea, like school, go to lectures, learn, do exams, job done. But the difference is at uni, I don't understand a lot of it. I can't even get my head around it a bit. But then, how do people who aren't so 'bright' (I know I'm going to sound up myself here but bear with me) do really well and can understand it?

I want to know where my flaw is so I can fix it and get a first and go on to become prime minister or something. Well, not that I'd want to do that because you have to give up your life basically, but erm, you know, a respected job.

I always thought backup plan - the services - but my opinion has changed recently, I dunno, I suppose I value my freedom more than I realised.
  • Options
    Different courses and teaching methods suit different people. I struggled with maths, would have been lucky to get a 3rd with it, whilst I'll be shocked if I don't get at least a 2:1 and probably a 1st at computing.

It says nothing at all about you, other than you chose a course that isn't 100% where your talents lie and doesn't suit your learning style.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    Different courses and teaching methods suit different people. It says nothing at all about you, other than you chose a course that isn't 100% where your talents lie and doesn't suit your learning style.

Its just a case of the course and teaching methods dont suit you, it doesnt make you any less 'brighter' then you are, it just means you need a course that suits your talents better. I couldn't go to uni as the teaching methods wouldnt suit me at all, but I'm was quite happy with going to college one day a week for three years to get my accounts qualifications and studying that way.
  • Options
    That was too late in the night. Can you believe I stayed up till 4.30, I watched 40 year old virgin too.

But yea, it's sent off now, wish me luck! Sorry, treating this thread like my blog :p I think it's reassuring to have people 'there', in some way.

Also in other news found a guy who wants to move in with me for next year :thumb: but of course can't do that till I know whether I'm coming or going!!
  • Options
    She got back to me straight away! Sounded very enthusiastic and said that my form was 'perfect!' and she'd meet me for an interview next week! She'll discuss with me why I want to do the course in more detail. Then she'll submit my thingy to the chair of studies kind of thing.

*tummy eats itself*

I might pick up some of the books and do some pre-reading over the weekend just in case. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    Good luck, I'm sure you wont need it if its gone this well so far.
  • Options
    She said also that there is no taskettes or anything to do, and I dont need to prepare as it's just a chat - all I need is possibly bring a copy of my questionnaire as she may ask me things about it and it would be useful if I had a copy to reference.

So I must revise it, lol :p (and also attend my maths resit classes in order that I don't get kicked out before I can transfer :s)
  • Options
    Wish me luck, today at 2pm.

And I've run out of clean trousers :grump: Should have enough time to get a pair washed though. *stress*
  • Options
    For those that are interested, in could not have possibly gone better. She was 100% sympathetic to my situation, and said her husband went through the same process! Said she was definately going to recommend that I be given a place, and based on my interview and her recommendation and my grades (for some reason they had ABB on file, but I corrected them; honest me. My mum told me off but if they should ever double check it (or if it was an honesty test? :p cynical) I don't want to risk it really.), she doesn't think there'll be a problem, but she can't garuntee as she doesn't offer the place personally, but people in simular situations get through fine.

So that's sorted, thank god. Stress attack begins again :). I dunno I feel like a cry. I'm 'happy' but just, almost relieved, but about to 'collapse' emotionally.

Sigh. :crying: it feels good...
  • Options
    It's a good feeling when you get the final answer. You know it's right because you feel that weight fly off your shoulders.

All the best.

x
  • Options
    thats really good news :)
  • Options
    It's a good feeling when you get the final answer. You know it's right because you feel that weight fly off your shoulders.

:yes: to all she said. Once you get the final outcome you wil feel a lot more happier and relieved. You've done really well to get this far.
  • Options
    :D

So, still not from the lions mouth itself, but my supervisor just sent me an email:

Dear Richard,

I understand that you have been accepted by the Management Department. I
    want to know what you plans are until you start in that department next
    year. Could you come to see me some time this week or early next week?

But he may just be taking that from me saying I had an interview and she said she was going to recommend me. But he's the board of studies for maths (handy) so he's probably quite familiar with the process anyway!

Ooh go me! I would dance, but I've knacked me leg :lol: I'm so excited! :D
  • Options
    :D Thats an good sign. Dance away, sod your leg.
  • Options
    Still not 100% sure, though about 99%. My tutor said he'd signed the transfer papers, but when I said I hadn't heard anything from the department, he said maybe he was being premature in telling me. But, looks good :) slightly, anticlimatic because it's not written down in paper, the big 'yay' was after my interview, I just want a piece of paper in writing signed by EVERYONE who needs to have signed it saying I have a place!

Mind you, it could be in my mail. I haven't checked. :chin:
  • Options
    Well it's official, they're just filling out the paperwork now :).

My goodness. Go me! Now I've got to tell accomodation I'm not here for the last term, need to work out whether I pay the last term tuition fees or whether I still get my student loan, need to sort out getting home in a few weeks, goodness me.

*collapses into my bed and has a sleep* heh, it's quite nice we're going to supper with the provost / college tonight, so yea :) all good
  • Options
    Whats your plans now then??

• Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Whats your plans now then??

Supper tonight, working until I start though. I'm not sure whether to temp, or
    see if I can get a placement, or you know, just do some part time work and spend all my money on beer. Probably not the latter, I feel like a waster already, I need some serious heavy duty work.

As long as it's not shelf stacking again, it sends you insane after a while. I should design a robot to shelf stack for me.
  • Options
    Good luck with it.

You know when your doing the right thing :thumb:
  • Options
    I have been looking at doing computer repairs over the holidays, but everyone wants to do that these days. And I'd still be getting phonecalls when I was back at uni.

:hyper: Good news though! My phone is broken so my mum can't ring me, I'm completely isolated from the rest of the world except for the internet. That'll last till about wednesday, anyway.
  • Options
    Computer repairs sounds like a good plan. Why not advertise to install wireless networks in peoples homes etc. I know someone who could do that, he was making quite a bit of cash :yes:

Suppose you have to know what your doing though.

All the best:thumb: