Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Changing course?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right, well I'm doing Maths at York, and I love the uni, and love the lecturers, but the course itself is incredibly mentally demanding. Basically they write the proofs on the board (and imagine a mathematical proof) and you have to figure it out yourself after the lecture. I know uni has a lot of independent learning, but it's very difficult and to be honest I don't have the motivation either because I can't see how it relates to real life :(.

But then I do like maths, I've only started the course and my favourite 'kinds' of maths are probability theory and statistics which we haven't covered yet (lol most people must think I'm mad). But I've come across this course:

http://www.york.ac.uk/management/prospective/undergrad/programme/bscABFM.htm

which sounds really good from the perspective of actual *real life* training i.e. the maths I'm learning I will never use but this degree will teach my things that will apply to a lot of management / accountancy jobs (I was previously thinking of accoutancy / actuarial work after my degree.

I don't know whether I'll be allowed to change course, I think it's too late in the year to change now anyway, but at the start of next year I might be able. My mum is being supportive which is a first :p (she was disappointed I didn't go to oxbridge!!). But the degree structure actually sounds really good for this one, all things that sound genuinely interesting!

I will need to get in touch with my tutor but don't want to commit before I'm sure so was going to leave it till later in the year.. but then I might not get a place :(. If anyone can offer any advice that would be brill!

edit: p.s. they want ABB but I got ABC in my exams, however york Maths gave me an unconditional offer when they realised there weren't enough applicants so they must be pretty pleased with me. I'm also trying not to let my scholarship influence me as I want to pick what is most comfortable for me rather than which will get me the most cash (which is undoubtedly maths). I may have to pay the scholarship back though, but I have been saving most of it in a savings account
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It's worth talking to your tutor about it now, and see what the options are. That way you will know where you stand and whether changing is an option or not. It's worth a shot, and it's worth bearing in mind that often to change course you need to get a certain mark on this years course (possibly more so if you didn't make the A level grades).
  • Options
    Yea, just wondering tho how can I be 100% I would prefer this course?
  • Options
    Find people on it and talk to them. That was the best thing I did. Turn up to a couple of the lectures. Ask about teaching styles, get a look at their notes.
  • Options
    Find people on it and talk to them. That was the best thing I did. Turn up to a couple of the lectures. Ask about teaching styles, get a look at their notes.

Did you find changing course difficult? I will probably speak to my tutor but am concerned incase he looks down on me because I've expressed an interest in changing course. I did speak to him last term though and said I was struggling with the course.
  • Options
    when i changed course, i had to start again from first year. but i was doing something completely different. you may be able to go straight into the second year of that course though, if its similar to the one you're doing now. best thing is to talk to your tutor, they'll be able to help. i dont think you'll ever know if you're going to like a different course better really, it's a bit hit and miss. what sounds amazing on paper may not be what you expect. talking to others on it will help, but just because they like it, wont necessarily mean you will. maybe try and sit in on a few lectures, that would help.
  • Options
    Do what scary monster suggests, having no uni knowledge I cant help on that side of things. However if you think you could change course without too many problems put some serious thought/research into it. If your already on a maths course it shouldnt be that hard for you to swap. You can probably never be 100% sure that its the right change.

And I know what you mean about mathematical proofs, the words on their own make me go: :crazyeyes .
  • Options
    Why not look up some lecture times and rooms and go along for a week? That'll give you an insight into whether you're better suited for the new course.
  • Options
    I might email my supervisor and ask him about it, I'll say I'm not sure but just considering. But I don't know if I'm going to do that well in my exams this year because it is very challenging, moreso than I imagined, I know that no course is easy but it's difficult to get my head round it and be motivated and I've thought possibly a different course would suit me better...
  • Options
    wildchild wrote:
    Why not look up some lecture times and rooms and go along for a week? That'll give you an insight into whether you're better suited for the new course.

Good idea, I might just do that :)
  • Options
    Although bear in mind that you need to keep up with your own course while you're going along to someone elses.

If you can't get the grades you'll need to prove the attitude to get a transfer.

I changed at the end of last year, you've got my msn if you want to ask more.
  • Options
    I know from what my fellas said about maths at York its difficult. He's currently struggling his way through the 3rd year, whilst up to this point he's had few problems and was looking at gaining a 1st/2:1 degree, he now says he'll be lucky to pass his current exams. But from hearing his comments I don't think the teaching at York is great for ... and don't quote league tables at me...they don't inspect teaching apart from once in about 10 years doing an audit trail from distance of teaching notes so I don't think it's a very realistic.

A lot of maths at university is learning proofs, which is why I gave it up. At that point I moved onto a business course, but found it far to easy and was bored. It didn't challenge the problem solving side of my mind. I'm now doing computing and absolutely love it.

Whatever you do, I'd finish this year and try and get the best mark you can. As has been said, try and get access to the course notes for what you're looking at doing and go and talk to people doing the course. Also talk to your tutor, explain your thoughts and worries about both changing course and the current course. He may know people he can put you in touch with about a new course. Talking to him at this point isn't going to affect how he thinks about you at all. they witness this every year and are just there to support you and make sure you get the best out of your time at uni as well.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote:
    I know from what my fellas said about maths at York its difficult. He's currently struggling his way through the 3rd year, whilst up to this point he's had few problems and was looking at gaining a 1st/2:1 degree, he now says he'll be lucky to pass his current exams. But from hearing his comments I don't think the teaching at York is great for ... and don't quote league tables at me...they don't inspect teaching apart from once in about 10 years doing an audit trail from distance of teaching notes so I don't think it's a very realistic.

A lot of maths at university is learning proofs, which is why I gave it up. At that point I moved onto a business course, but found it far to easy and was bored. It didn't challenge the problem solving side of my mind. I'm now doing computing and absolutely love it.

Whatever you do, I'd finish this year and try and get the best mark you can. As has been said, try and get access to the course notes for what you're looking at doing and go and talk to people doing the course. Also talk to your tutor, explain your thoughts and worries about both changing course and the current course. He may know people he can put you in touch with about a new course. Talking to him at this point isn't going to affect how he thinks about you at all. they witness this every year and are just there to support you and make sure you get the best out of your time at uni as well.

Wow, you sound a lot like me! As for the teaching, it's not really taught - the proof is written on the board, we have to copy it into our notes and whilst the lecturer is writing it he is explaining what he is doing. But still needs going over again afterwards, on your own, and often then you can't make heads or tails of it.

I like computers a lot but always thought it would restrict my career options, as I'd always be the 'IT guy' rather than the managing director guy :p, which is where I'd like to aspire to be one day. Will likely not happen, but all the same...

I spoke to my brother and he said the business course sounds good, I'm going to go along to some lectures, will speak to my supervisor and then see how the rest of the year goes. The only thing is if I don't settle into maths I'm going to want to change to accounting/management/finance but they probably want a commitment from me otherwise they wont give me a place. But I dont know yet so don't want to commit. Catch 22.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:

I like computers a lot but always thought it would restrict my career options, as I'd always be the 'IT guy' rather than the managing director guy :p, which is where I'd like to aspire to be one day. Will likely not happen, but all the same...

And maths will? I think your career options are just as open with a computing course as they are with maths as a course. It does depend on what sort of line of work you want to go into though i agree. Computing for me will allow me to get into management roles, but they will be IT based management of teams etc, where I'll just be giving the go ahead to projects and managing people. However, I only want to work in a large organisation, where the chance of getting to the top that much would never really occur anyway if I'm being realistic. If accounting is something you're interested in then definately go for the course as I don't think from maths you'll get into that line without doing lots of other qualifications in the process anyways.
    ShyBoy wrote:
    I spoke to my brother and he said the business course sounds good, I'm going to go along to some lectures, will speak to my supervisor and then see how the rest of the year goes. The only thing is if I don't settle into maths I'm going to want to change to accounting/management/finance but they probably want a commitment from me otherwise they wont give me a place. But I dont know yet so don't want to commit. Catch 22.

When I changed from doing maths to business, I applied through ucas in about April/May time. I actually completely changed universities in the process though so I don't know what the policy would be to just swap course at the same uni.
  • Options
    it's worth bearing in mind that often to change course you need to get a certain mark on this years course (possibly more so if you didn't make the A level grades).

I'm not sure about that: neither my boyfriend nor another mate of mine I know who changed course at Bristol took their exams the years they decided to change course. My boyfriend switched at around this time in his second year from Philosophy & Theology to Politics and Philosophy, going straight into the second year of the new course, whilst my friend switched from Economics to Economic History in his first year (starting history from scratch). In both cases they left Bristol for the rest of that academic year. Although of course it will still help your case if you can show the effort you made in the maths course.

You'll almost certainly have to repeat your first year if you switch courses, but one more year of university will be no bad thing. If my boyfriend had stuck to his original course we'd have never met, as he'd have graduated whilst I was still at school!

Finally don't let your scholarship sway you, whilst extra money is nice, it's not worth 3 years of detesting your course.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote:
    If accounting is something you're interested in then definately go for the course as I don't think from maths you'll get into that line without doing lots of other qualifications in the process anyways.

I want to do accounting or actuarial work, in a smallish firm, work up and get experience then around 40 I'll work 3 days a week as a consultant :p. Well, perhaps not, but anyway. I thought accountancy and actuarial work were fairly similar but not - yet it seems that maths is good for actuaries, but bad for accountancy, and the management/accountancy is good for accountancy but bad for actuaries!

They both just play with numbers, albeit slightly different numbers but they're just the numbers guys. That's who I am, and I want a career where I'm perked in front of them all day long. Maths is ok, but it's all starting to sound too philosiphical. Can't wait for statistics and probability modules. :D
  • Options
    Accounting firms quite like maths degrees. Actuarial ones LOVE them, because being an actuary is very advanced maths-based.

The degree you're looking at doing doesn't seem to offer many exemptions at all from the professional qualifications, but don't let that put you off if you do really want to do it. But like everyone said; if you're not happy doing maths, don't do it. It's three years of your life, and you may as well spend them doing something you'll enjoy.
  • Options
    Well wish me luck, I'm going to speak to my supervisor tomorrow about changing course :).
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Well wish me luck, I'm going to speak to my supervisor tomorrow about changing course :).

Good luck. You'd make a good accounant/actuary.
  • Options
    Having another meeting tomorrow! Lol *stress*. He's such a nice guy tho :)
  • Options
    About accounting, it was what I planned to do when i got into 6th form, ended up going to some open day where they gave you little presentations about different courses... this accountancy lecturer guy pretty much said that a lot of people seem to think accountancy is something different to what it is, in fact its an incredibly boring course and you need to be really really into messing about with numbers to enjoy it, apparently there's a massive first year drop out rate because people don't expect it.

That said it does seem like it might be the course for you, especially if all the proofs and crap in maths puts you off... i have a m8 in kind of the same situation, i dont think anyone realises how dodgy a maths degree can be ;p
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    About accounting, it was what I planned to do when i got into 6th form, ended up going to some open day where they gave you little presentations about different courses... this accountancy lecturer guy pretty much said that a lot of people seem to think accountancy is something different to what it is, in fact its an incredibly boring course and you need to be really really into messing about with numbers to enjoy it, apparently there's a massive first year drop out rate because people don't expect it.

There was quite a big drop out rate in my first accounts course, it wasn't what people had expected for the exact reasons above.
  • Options
    Ok, I've set the ball rolling!

This is what they've told me so far:
    The process would be that we would look at your A-level results (and I have already contacted your Departmental Administrator to ask for a copy of your UCAS form), arrange a meeting with you and have you undertake a couple of 'taskettes'. Depending on the outcome of these bits if the School makes you an offer to transfer to start in 1st year in October 2007 then the rest of this academic year would be deemed a Leave of Absence - but we can clarify the details in due course.

*worries*. They have 'pre-reading' for the course, but as I've not yet been accepted I haven't looked at any of it, should I go to the library and pick some up (only two books) and have a scan through them before this meeting?

Really have no idea on the taskettes, will ask them at a later date for advice to preparation (I think that's reasonable, at worst they can say they don't expect students to prepare for them which is good, because I can think on my feet :D).

*excited*

*nervous*

Wish me luck guys! Will keep you updated when they get back to me :)
  • Options
    Good luck ShyBoy! If you're doing math you have to have something functioning up there. :D

I'm doing a BS in Business and a lot of the courses listed on the original url you posted sound familiar. If anything, the course you want to do is like my ideal focus with Business studies. I hate the marketing aspect, I'm more into finance, accounting and investment valuations.
    The finance is harder, but what it has over the other fields is that it's logical. I hate those stupid "yada yada" subjects so much (like HR management, haha).

Not sure what these taskettes might be, but definitely ask if you need to prepare.

You can do this! :)
  • Options
    If you're serious about thinking of changing then you need to try and get hold of the books and read them, show them your serious.

Don't forget you'll then need to think of something constructive to do with the rest of the year AND check you'll get funding.
  • Options
    I've got a questionnaire :|. It says 'in no more than 200 words why do you want to do this course' and also 'what are your strengths as a learner and what would you like to improve'.

*gulp*

It's trying to remember that they are ordinary people too, not evil devilspawn who are looking for an opportunity to make me feel stupid and put me down. But still, might be tricky!
  • Options
    It could be a lot worse!

Just be honest and not soppy and I doubt this will be anything resembling a barrier. This is both something you should know to an extent (although I also got this "why do you want to do this?" question recently for an application and it really threw me off)
  • Options
    Well something along the lines of: 'The course sounds like the kind of thing I'd like to learn, a lot of the modules sound interesting, I'd like to prepare myself for a career in business' etc. etc.

Still, you always worry it's not what they want to hear. :nervous:
  • Options
    Also, worth mentioning is perhaps that you enjoy doing a maths degree but feel perhaps that you might interact better with and feel more motivated by figures if they were applied to a real life situation? That was one of my main arguments for accountancy when i was younger.
  • Options
    Fecking hell ya know. If they go on this years grades I'm not going to get in. But it's so hard to motivate yourself on a course you don't want to do.

*stressing*

Right, time to fill out this questionnaire.

eta: also just got an email from the Maths department about my resits! :crying: Thing is, if I don't get accepted for transfer in time then what do I do? Argh, shouldn't be worrying about this, but I am.
  • Options
    If you don't get accepted for the transfer in time you'll have to do the resits to keep your options open. Unless you are 100% certain you don't want to continue with maths whatever happens.