Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

FAO: Jim & my thesite buddies

13»

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    pah1986 wrote: »
    As a noob, this is all very..... interesting.

If you stick around long enough, you'll see this sort of thing happens from time to time.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    If you stick around long enough, you'll see this sort of thing happens from time to time.

Well perhaps but would I want to stay? I'm seen some very concerning posts from different people. I thought I would come here to make friends, but do I not risk the fear of becoming more depressed, being attacked, flamed or have major problems with people?

I don't want to be pessimistic and all but I'm not feeling on top of the world anyway and seeing - and hearing about (live with a TheSite veteran) - problems is a little disconcerting.

I wait in eagerness for the "if you don't like the programme, change the channel" post.
    Sorry. I know that's not arguing my case but I honestly expect it.
  • Options
    People leave this place all the time, some go quietly because they get bored, but a few feel that have to leave because of the opinions of some on here. It'll always happen.

Sometimes harsh words are need, but there have been instance in the past where it's gone beyond that and there are a few examples of bullying and public humiliation to found. It's something I find disapointing.

In general I think this is a good place though, else I wouldn't have wasted (what is probably) hundreds of hours posting over the last 6-7 years.

This place goes through cycles, you'll see that if your here long enough. You just have to take the good with the bad - and try not to be one of those causing the bad.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well perhaps but would I want to stay? I'm seen some very concerning posts from different people. I thought I would come here to make friends, but do I not risk the fear of becoming more depressed, being attacked, flamed or have major problems with people?

I don't want to be pessimistic and all but I'm not feeling on top of the world anyway and seeing - and hearing about (live with a TheSite veteran) - problems is a little disconcerting.

I wait in eagerness for the "if you don't like the programme, change the channel" post.
    Sorry. I know that's not arguing my case but I honestly expect it.

Seriously, just don't be a fucking idiot and you'll fine.

It's usually when folk come on and spam the boards or are blatently bullshitting that they get flamed. Or when people give them advice time after time and they just don't listen, then come back a week later with the same problem.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Still absolutely no need to post them to the public. Like that shite earlier, what the fuck like?

ah yeh but after gettin the lowdown on what that was all about you can only laugh and let them get on with it. maybe thesite shouldnt rule their lives so much.
  • Options
    Seriously, just don't be a fucking idiot and you'll fine.

It's usually when folk come on and spam the boards or are blatently bullshitting that they get flamed. Or when people give them advice time after time and they just don't listen, then come back a week later with the same problem.

:D Well I certainly hope I'm not a "fucking idiot" so far.... I haven't started to dish out my problems yet :p
  • Options
    If they're serious problems then post ahead mate, that's what the site is here for. It's just when folk come on and make shitty threads like "i jst unziped my b/fs jeens OMG IM GONA GET PREGGARZ!!!!" and that just (quite rightly) fucks a lot of people off.
  • Options
    If they're serious problems then post ahead mate, that's what the site is here for. It's just when folk come on and make shitty threads like "i jst unziped my b/fs jeens OMG IM GONA GET PREGGARZ!!!!" and that just (quite rightly) fucks a lot of people off.

Oh....well on to problem number two then.... :lol:
    Don't tell me you didn't see it coming (pun not intended)
  • Options
    Oh....well on to problem number two then.... :lol:
    Don't tell me you didn't see it coming (pun not intended)

Unless you're Arnold Schwarzenegger in the film Junior, then you've got nothing to worry about :razz:
  • Options
    Needless to say you feel should to post any question you'd like - of course some people who've been around for a long time (as Rise & Shine has just demonstrated) tend to like new users to not have any questions they may consider obvious. Inevitably this causes friction, and the banning of some old users, but that's always going to be the way of a large community aimed at providing advice to young people.

And to be honest Pah1986, the person you live with has mellowed a lot, but in the past has been very bad in their treatment of new users, including some of those mentioned in this thread. Thankfully that doesn't really happen anymore, today's thread in sex not withstanding.

So depsite Rise & Shine's strange belief he has the right to flame people (he doesn't and he'll be banned for it) and nmm's long standing view about these boards (too many opinions, not enough games), the truth is many people have benefitted for being here.

It isn't always a perfect place, and it certainly isn't a place where people will always get on - after all this isn't a place people have come to due to a common interest or through a particular group of friends - but it is a place where the vast majority of people do support and help each other.

As you can already see what began as complaints about the flaming of new users has already turned into people having a go AT new users. So it's always a balance to get things right.

Now, I personally think NMM's view of the boards is almost entirely wrong, and have in pretty much everything he's brought to the mods attention - but that's not to say flaming isn't delt with (you've only got to look at the bannings that followed the Hellfire thread in question) and isn't treated seriously.

This is a site made of many different people, and there will always be disagreements and challenges presented when people provide advice. Don't let the views of one old user put you off thesite.

And if you're curious take a look back a few years to see just how unpleasant and bitchy the boards used to be - people always tend to look back with extremely rose-tinted specs.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    So depsite Rise & Shine's strange belief he has the right to flame people (he doesn't and he'll be banned for it)

Um...where exactly have I said that?
  • Options
    Well if you don' then good, from what you were posting abou tnew users that fuck you off it seemed to imply you felt it was somehow acceptable that they were treated badly as a result... which it isn't.
  • Options
    Well if you don' then good, from what you were posting abou tnew users that fuck you off it seemed to imply you felt it was somehow acceptable that they were treated badly as a result... which it isn't.

As I said to you in the PM (Which I've not had a response to btw) there's no way in hell she was being serious.

Do I do that a lot? Does it happen to every new user? Pah1986 is a new user, was I not perfectly civil to him in this thread?

I've read too much bullshit on the Sex and Relationships forums over the years that have pissed me off immensely, this time I decided to take the piss and shake things up a wee bit. If it was a regular occurence then I could see your point but I don't appreciate you throwing my name out there like I follow certain users about and do nothing but give them abuse.
  • Options
    he left the building - no one has done anything at allto be banned for in the thread in question
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    And to be honest Pah1986, the person you live with has mellowed a lot, but in the past has been very bad in their treatment of new users, including some of those mentioned in this thread. Thankfully that doesn't really happen anymore, today's thread in sex not withstanding.

I can't believe you'd say such things Jim :crying: :crying: :crying:

:p

(PS: I never said anything bad today in Sex :| )
  • Options
    As I said to you in the PM (Which I've not had a response to btw) there's no way in hell she was being serious.

Some people are daft, naeve and immature. That doesn't mean that they're not necessarily being serious.
  • Options
    Isn't it naive?

Some people are intelligent, articulate, generous, and have any number of other great qualities, but make mistakes. I know I have, I still think back on stuff I've posted here with a bit of shame and embarrassment.
  • Options
    I'm sure it is.

Actually, I'm never sure, my spelling is officially rubbish.
  • Options
    See ya on the other side mate ;):D
  • Options
    drama drama drama

some people honestly take this place too seriously!

as for the new people ... while not particularly fond of em people here have a tendacy to rip them to shreds over nothin
  • Options
    Now, I personally think NMM's view of the boards is almost entirely wrong, and have in pretty much everything he's brought to the mods attention - but that's not to say flaming isn't delt with (you've only got to look at the bannings that followed the Hellfire thread in question) and isn't treated seriously.
    Do you mean where Lolzabeth announced she was preggers? Because I just had a look at that thread and yes it was awful some of the things people were saying. But who got banned because of it?
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    some people honestly take this place too seriously!

Too rights, it's the internet. If someone's gonna take a huff and make a scene because someone else called them a cunt then they shouldn't be here in the first place. Then again, unjustified bullying/flaming is not acceptable at the same time.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Do you mean where Lolzabeth announced she was preggers? Because I just had a look at that thread and yes it was awful some of the things people were saying. But who got banned because of it?

:shocking: someone answer my question!! :p
  • Options
    Sorry just checked the records, warnings not bannings followed the attitude in this thread. But to be honest I don't think the thread needs dragging up again and to be honest I don't think the recent posts after the child was born show any of the same venom.
  • Options
    Things dont change much do they, people come and people go and some pop back every now and again just to see how we all are doing :yippe: :yippe:
  • Options
    The flaming and bitchyness is no where near as it was a year or so ago. I certainly can't see a problem with the boards at the moment.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    The flaming and bitchyness is no where near as it was a year or so ago. I certainly can't see a problem with the boards at the moment.

God yeah. Those were the days.