Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Difference: BETWEEN SEEING AND GOING OUT WITH SUM1

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when you seing someone would you say its okay to go and see other people and do stuff with them, meaning seeing someone isn't actually classified as going out with someone? because obviousy if your going out with someone that's a big commitment.

your views..

Comments

• Options
    i think everyone will have a different opinion on this. i think the main thing to consider is how you feel about the person and what your actual relationship with them is like. sometimes you can be seeing someoen and it feels quite casual. you text/call each other every couple of days or you might only speak to each other to arrange when you'll next meet up. in that case i reckon its prefectly fine to be pulling or going on a date with someone else at the same time. but if things start to feel a bit more serious even though you are not "official" then you should stick to the one person. i mean if feelings are starting to develop then it could feel a little bit like cheating, especially if you know the other person would be hurt if they found out.
  • Options
    This bugs me.

I hate it when people say "I'm seeing someone" "but, I'm single"

Surely you either wanna be with someone or don't.

Kind of agree with the above though, Oh it confuses me :banghead:
  • Options
    IMO, bluntly (and drunkenly... Fuck knows why I read this when drunk as my spelling/grammar is atrocious):

Seeing - you can do what you want, with you you want, when you want.

Going - you're an item. usual "rules" apply.
  • Options
    While we're at it, what is the difference between seeing someone and dating someone?

Just curious :p
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    While we're at it, what is the difference between seeing someone and dating someone?

Just curious :p

To me - no difference. Just different terminology.

Dating/seeing - free to do what you want, with you you want, when you want.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    To me - no difference. Just different terminology.

Ah, thanks, it's what I thought too ;)
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Ah, thanks, it's what I thought too ;)

Damned right.

:D
  • Options
    Does anyone actually use the word dating? Oh well, here's my take on it. Seeing someone is just a bit of fun to pass the time. Going out with someone is when you have feelings for them, and see it as something more, and they feel the same way. And obviously, then there's the middleground between that which is why everyone always asks this question. I don't think you can start talking about other things, like whether it's okay to see other people, because this varies from couple to couple.
  • Options
    I dunno...

What's the difference between getting laid and making love?

I think when you're "going out" with somebody it means you're exclusive.
  • Options
    I dunno...

What's the difference between getting laid and making love?

I think when you're "going out" with somebody it means you're exclusive.

Getting laid imo is with anybody that you don't really care about, it's just casual sex.

Making love is when your in a relationship with someone who you care about and the sex is more passionate and more showing each other what that person means to you.

And to the OP. For me it depends on how involved you are with that person.
    For me i was "seeing" my boyfriend for a couple of months before. Like he's the guy your interested in/potential boyfriend. I don't think at that time i would have gone and pulled someone else as i wanted him and only him. Being his GF was when we decided to make it official and that we definitely wanted to be together and make a go of it.

I'm totally going on here i know but it just depends on the two people i think, how serious it is getting and if it's going anywhere.
  • Options
    :yuck: @ "making love"

"Seeing" someone is a bit more speculative than "going out" with them, I reckon.

I'd say you see someone first when you're just meeting up for drinks and whatnot, if you go onto become "boyfriend and girlfriend" then you're going out together. But it's all semantics anyway.
  • Options
    At school seeing somoene meant you were going out with them but could 'get off' with other people!! So if the fit boy passed you a note saying will you get off with me, then you could meet him at the bike sheds, turn up, snog him then go join your mates to tell them how good it was and not get in trouble!
  • Options
    For some poeple i think "seeing someone" means they like someone enough to be in a relationship with them but not enuff to not be able to get jiggy with other poeple.

For others i think its the stage of getting to know someone better before they jump into a relationship with someone they dont know all that well.
  • Options
    Why don't you gatecrash a school assembly and ask them?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    For some poeple i think "seeing someone" means they like someone enough to be in a relationship with them but not enuff to not be able to get jiggy with other poeple.

For others i think its the stage of getting to know someone better before they jump into a relationship with someone they dont know all that well.

I totally agree, I use both of these depending on the type person who im with,
  • Options
    Ah the age old debate.

Personally, I think "seeing/dating" is the early stages when you like each other, spend time together but don't want to fully commit and rush the relationship into being serious.

Going out with is when you only want to see/date each other. Anything with anyone else is cheating.

As for the making love/sex/shag or f**k/getting laid...
    I think you can totally be in love with someone but still want to "shag" sometimes whereas other times you want something more intimate which is more making love.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:

I've been pondering this for a while and either I'm just an old fart (possible) or this is quite grim.

Why would you start going out/seeing someone unless you had the thought that it might be more serious? And if thats the case at what point do you think, oh, this is serious, I better stop sleeping with all those other people the person doesnt know about?

If I started seeing someone and a couple of months in she said 'OK I'm going to stop fucking other men now' I'd be gutted.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I've been pondering this for a while and either I'm just an old fart (possible) or this is quite grim.

Why would you start going out/seeing someone unless you had the thought that it might be more serious? And if thats the case at what point do you think, oh, this is serious, I better stop sleeping with all those other people the person doesnt know about?

If I started seeing someone and a couple of months in she said 'OK I'm going to stop fucking other men now' I'd be gutted.
    someone who you fancy and like but you still want to test the water with others, then as time goes on n u see each other more, u sstart to like them more. if they like u more too then u get togehter properly
  • Options
    budda wrote:

It depends on your attitude.

I have an attitude that I keep it strictly friendly unless I make a concious decision that I 'like' or fancy someone, then decide whether I should go for it or not. But I think it does depend on the person, I have a lot of friends who go out and flirt with everyone because they can. Nothing against that.

I suppose I just act like I'm always in a relationship, and when I'm not in a relationship I still don't flirt a lot, until I find a girl I like who I 'tag' in my mind as my partner I suppose. And then see how it goes...
  • Options
    budda wrote:

The thing is, I don't exactly have 3 or 4 women on the go at once (any more...), but if I am just dating a person then I am free to pursue any other 'options' until I find the person that I am happy with.

In my view, life is too short to miss chances - and unless I am in a committed relationship, I'm a free man. I'm not out asking every other woman out for a drink, but now and again..........

I cannot realistically tell you the 'point' where I would cut dating other people, I would say that is down to the people involved and the circumstances. It would be one of those things that just clicks, and so you just know.

It's not grim, it's just the modern dating game.

Or, indeed, you could just be an old fart.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    The thing is, I don't exactly have 3 or 4 women on the go at once (any more...), but if I am just dating a person then I am free to pursue any other 'options' until I find the person that I am happy with.

Fair enough I suppose, are you also assuming that this person you are 'dating' is looking elsewhere as well?

It just seems a little devious unless you have discussed it, and of course what your definition of dating really is. If its just someone you meet up with every now and then, then thats OK, but if you are regularly meeting them and doing romantic type things to keep looking elsewhere seems a bit unpleasant to me.
  • Options
    brad18 wrote:
    when you seing someone would you say its okay to go and see other people and do stuff with them, meaning seeing someone isn't actually classified as going out with someone? because obviousy if your going out with someone that's a big commitment.

your views..

I've never distinguished between the two. Personally if i'm dating some one i only date them, i don't "play the field". If i find out that they'd been dating other women i'd leave them. I'd find that a huge insult, whether we were on our first date or had been together months.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    I've never distinguished between the two. Personally if i'm dating some one i only date them, i don't "play the field". If i find out that they'd been dating other women i'd leave them. I'd find that a huge insult, whether we were on our first date or had been together months.

Agreed, not that you'll see me agreeing with you of course.
  • Options
    If I had the opportunity and was asked on dates all the time, I wouldn't see anything wrong with, for example, going to the cinema with Bob on Friday and for a drink with Jim on Sunday.

But not sleeping with them or being coupley/relationship!

I hardly get asked out though so tend to stick to one at a time! Less confusing that way....I get confused over who I have said what to at the best of times.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Agreed, not that you'll see me agreeing with you of course.

:yeees: Are you reffering to our disagreement like a year ago? Get over it!
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    :yeees: Are you reffering to our disagreement like a year ago? Get over it!

How was I supposed to know if/when you removed me from your ignore list. You were the one who took action, I merely wanted to debate the issue.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Fair enough I suppose, are you also assuming that this person you are 'dating' is looking elsewhere as well?

It just seems a little devious unless you have discussed it, and of course what your definition of dating really is. If its just someone you meet up with every now and then, then thats OK, but if you are regularly meeting them and doing romantic type things to keep looking elsewhere seems a bit unpleasant to me.

Yep - both parties are free to do what they want. If they choose not to, it's up to them, but there are no ties when just dating.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Yep - both parties are free to do what they want. If they choose not to, it's up to them, but there are no ties when just dating.

Maybe I've just got a completely different meaning of dating in my head then, at what point is it a relationship?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Maybe I've just got a completely different meaning of dating in my head then, at what point is it a relationship?

When you both feel that the person you are with is the one that you want to be with exclusively.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it's not any predetermined point, but you just "know".

I think also once you start referring to a person as your boyfriend/girlfriend then that's a good place to start. I find that comes naturally...
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    When you both feel that the person you are with is the one that you want to be with exclusively.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it's not any predetermined point, but you just "know".

I think also once you start referring to a person as your boyfriend/girlfriend then that's a good place to start. I find that comes naturally...

I presume you dont discuss the other women/men you are dating how do you know that they stop seeing other people at the same time as you?