Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Foundation: yes or no?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya,
just a quick question for you girls: do you all use foundation?
I've never used it before but a friend got me lots of make up stuff for Christmas...and also a Helena Rubinstein biscuit foundation!
I remember reading somewhere different opinions about it: some people say it's bad for your skin because it doesn't let it breathe, some others say it's really good because it protects it.
What d'you reckon? Shall I start using it?
I gave it a try last night and I must say my skin looked a hell of a lot better: I looked a bit pale because of the cold weather (give me a couple of months and I'll forget all about italian weather) and that definitely sorted it out.

:wave:

Comments

• Options
    It's never caused me harm. I alwasy where it on a night out. If I'm using false tan then in the day I sometimes won't wear foundation.
    Try it on, if you think you look better with it then wear it. Remeber to match your skin tone and blend in around the jaw line/start of neck. And take it off before bed....lol but I don't do this anywhere near as much as I should!
    Also, if you have dry skin always go for a hydrant type otherwise it clings to your dry skin and gives you fish scales. Or if you have oily skin, go for one which is for oily skin.
  • Options
    I use it but first I apply moisturiser. Gives it lube so I can blend it around and I think it adds as a barrier. Although I could be completely wrong. I'd have a try and see if you like it.
  • Options
    Thanks girls!
    As you said, I'll keep using that one and see if it's alright for me.
    At least I won't look as pale as a ghost in this weather (just been outside for a fag and I thought I was gonna fly like Mary Poppins!).
  • Options
    I use moisturiser, concealer, foundation and powder on my face every day and my skin's flawless.

I would recommend it. (I'm a student Makeup Artist!)

Start off by moisturising your whole face, leaving it for 10 minutes then apply your foundation. Only use foundation on areas than need it - aka areas that are more red than others, darker than others, blemishes etc. Don't cake your whole face in it from forehead to chin, if you don't need to.

and ALWAYS take it off before you go to bed, or your skin will suffer.
  • Options
    I'd say it depends how good you are at applying make-up to yourself.
    I've seen girls that hardly wear any make-up and look stunning and also some who plaster it to their face and look like they've picked up the dogs arse instead of a flannel.
    By all means use foundation but keep to the minimalist look - its much prettier
  • Options
    never used concealer/foundation or whatever in my life :p never found the need to - my skin isnt exactly brilliant, but i find it makes me look worse.
    only makeup i wear is eyeshadow and eye liner which is very easy!
  • Options
    I only use foundation where I need it.
  • Options
    I dont use, it doesn't suit my skin. I waer tinted moisterisuer if I'm going out or have time to put it on in the mornings before work.
  • Options
    Like Ilora, i wear moisturiser, concealer, powder and foundation (i use L'Oreal Infallible). I'd look like a right troll without it.
  • Options
    I wear foundation every day and just some face pearls on my cheekbones. I swear by it now and I look far too pale without!
  • Options
    I only use it if I have a desire to look good.
  • Options
    I use moisturiser, concealer, foundation and powder on my face every day and my skin's flawless.

I would recommend it. (I'm a student Makeup Artist!)

Start off by moisturising your whole face, leaving it for 10 minutes then apply your foundation. Only use foundation on areas than need it - aka areas that are more red than others, darker than others, blemishes etc. Don't cake your whole face in it from forehead to chin, if you don't need to.

and ALWAYS take it off before you go to bed, or your skin will suffer.

I'm the same. And I'd second the advice also, that's what the ArtDeco makeup artist taught us, and what I learnt on my course at college (though I'm sure Ilora will give you a lot more detail :) ).
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:
    never used concealer/foundation or whatever in my life :p never found the need to - my skin isnt exactly brilliant, but i find it makes me look worse.
    only makeup i wear is eyeshadow and eye liner which is very easy!
    If you find that wearing concealer/foundation makes you look worse, you're most likely using the wrong product.
    Wearing the correct shade concealer and foundation is the key to great makeup and when applied correctly can make you look younger fresher and finished. :yes:
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Like Ilora, i wear moisturiser, concealer, powder and foundation (i use L'Oreal Infallible).
    exactly the same as me. i think it only looks like you've caked your make up on if you do it badly. if you're good at it then everything will be blended and look natural.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Like Ilora, i wear moisturiser, concealer, powder and foundation (i use L'Oreal Infallible). I'd look like a right troll without it.

do you wear it every single day?

i dunno how people can be bothered wearing all that makeup every day hehe. Probably more to do with the fact that I'm not very good at applying foundation (well, ive not really tried) but I just can't be arsed. My skins not that bad without it to be honest.

I do wear moisturiser, eyeliner and mascara every day though. but thats off the topic. hehe.
  • Options
    i wear foundation EVERYDAY but i moisturise before i put it on

liek people have said, as long as you have the right shade and blend well, there shouldnt be a problem :)
  • Options
    Like someone else said i couldn't be bothered with putting makeup on everyday. However i do wear it for work so that's twice a week, if i'm going out somewhere or if i just feel shit about myself and want to feel better.

Iv'e never had any problems with foundation so just make the most of it!
  • Options
    I only wear foundation if I am going out somewhere and want to have a more dramatic effect. I use a tinted moisturiser everyday. I have pretty good unblemished skin so don't really need to use foundation all the time. Don't feel you have to wear it just because you think everyone else is. If you've got on fine without it then do what you feel more comfortable doing. Personally I think an extra 15 minutes in bed is far more beneficial that getting up to put slap on!
  • Options

random question, but why leave it 10mins after applying moisturiser to apply foundation? I usually do it straight after so they sort of blend together and it's easier to put the foundation on my skin.
  • Options
    I think you're supposed to leave it ten minutes so the moisturiser has a chance to sink in and form a good base for the foundation. If you apply them in too quick succession then the foundation supposedly just slides off... or at least doesn't last as long as it would otherwise.

I don't use foundation generally, though if I go out and feel in need of a bit of a boost I have an Almay one I will use. I have never used powder... I just don't "get" it.
  • Options
    i used power because I've got quite shiney skin in places. Just a cheap natural collection one
  • Options
    do you wear it every single day?

I do. I won't leave my house without full make up on.
  • Options
    I wear foundation (either 17 or maybelline mousse), powder and blusher every day. I have some acne scars on my cheeks and feel self conscious if I don't wear some sort of base.

I wouldn't bother wearing make up if I had clear skin! But in a way I think it helps protect skin from pollution.
  • Options
    as a base I normally wear concealer, tinted moisturiser, powder and a highlighter for my cheeks. Looks natural. I hate seeing people with an orange jaw line!!!
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I do. I won't leave my house without full make up on.

:yes: Same here! More of a habit than feeling I really have to.
  • Options
    I wear it most days. It definitely makes a difference. My skin is practically multicoloured without it.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    powder AND foundation?

what am I missing?
    The powder sets the foundation, so that it lasts longer.

And yes, I wear concealer, foundation and powder EVERY day because I enjoy having flawless skin. Plus, I'm a student Make-up Artist and consider it important to show off my talent on myself as a sort of business card!
  • Options
    random question, but why leave it 10mins after applying moisturiser to apply foundation? I usually do it straight after so they sort of blend together and it's easier to put the foundation on my skin.
    Briggi was spot on. Moisturiser is like a primer for the skin. Leaving it to sink in for 10 minutes will lengthen the life of your day makeup. Putting foundation straight over moisturiser means it will mix, and end up wearing off after a very short space of time.

Wearing powder over the foundation, will then set it, so it stays put and doesn't rub off as easily.
  • Options
    Nope, I don't use it :)
  • Options
    I wear foundation sometimes when I go out. Sometimes though, looking at painted faces freaks me out a little...