Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

School incident - should i do something?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your school is out of order if they say that.

Find out who the head of the governors is, get your friend to write and sign a short mini-statement and say it was dealt with by being told (refer to the member of staff) to 'keep away from them'. Say that it isn't the first time it's happened, because it happened to you only a few days ago.

That's ridiculous, the school has a duty of care, if they know there are disruptive pupils for whatever reason it is their responsibility to safeguard the other students. You have a right to be safe walking down a corridor, or sitting in the post 16 room, and at the moment you're not and it's not a one off, and the school is blatantly turning a blind eye.

If I was you I'd be fuming!
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    a lot more than "keep away from them then" for starters

i doubt she was walking past her for fun, she obviously needed to pass this girl and thats when the incident occured

the girl cant stay out of the corridors for fear of bumping into this girl again

at some point they are going to cross paths

I agree tbh. This is twice in a week that someone has been hurt.... I can't offer advice on exactly what shold be done, but "keep away" isn't exactly practical in a school.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    What else do you expect them to say?
    how are we supposed to keep away from them when they share our 6th form? Go in the other direction every time we cross one in the corridoor?
  • Options
    From the DfES
    Initially, you should write to the head teacher and express your concerns. Try to work and resolve the issue. If that does not help, you could then write to the Chair of Governors, and then to the local authority (LA). If the problem still remains unresolved, the Department for Education and Skills can investigate the allegations with the school. You could also ring the helpline at Parentline Plus on 0808 800 2222 for general information

regarding bullying, but I think the avenue is still appropriate in this situation.

http://www.parentscentre.gov.uk/behaviouranddiscipline/bullying/

best of luck :)
  • Options
    Well i was told about the other girl getting slapped today in a sociology class this afternoon and the whole class ended up having a discussion about it.
    A girl who's in my class is in the student council and said she'll bring it up at the next meeting. My friend won't report it again - she doesn't want to make a fuss.
  • Options
    Yea nobody wants to make a fuss tho. Although its slightly different, I was 'picked on' by kids a few years younger than me because they thought it was funny. I never wanted to make a fuss, and it went on and on, until I shoved one of them over and then he gave me a punch. So I reported it, and then it started to get a bit better, but the school couldnt do anything because as far as they were aware he had a clean record and it was a one off.
  • Options
    Before you (and your friends) were in 6th Form, did the school ever have any problems like with students with SEN doing stuff like this to you?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Before you (and your friends) were in 6th Form, did the school ever have any problems like with students with SEN doing stuff like this to you?
    I don't know because they stayed in the old 6th form center and we only ever saw them at lunchtime in the canteen. Never knew what happened in 6th form, it's almost a seperate school and i didn't know anyone in the 6th form. I do know a few years ago that some used to come and sit in 6th form classes but that's it.
  • Options
    It's just worth noting that these are two completely different people you're talking about. It doesn't make it a repeat occurence until it's the same person.

You've got to get pretty close to someone for them to be able to slap/punch you, so stay away doesn't necessarily mean stay 100m away, 3feet will do.

Kids were told to stay away from me at junior school, because I was very defensive of my personnal space, but 3 feet was all it needed to be.
  • Options
    I don't know if she went up to her and slapped her or not. Either way, we shouldn't feel like we need to dodge around them.
  • Options
    The 6th form centre is somewhere you go to learn, and I'll admit I'd be mightily pissed off if whenever I was walking down the corridor at my sixth form, I had to be wary or on my guard of someone-regardless of whether they're SEN or not. Talk to someone of a decent standing (preferably not the bloke you're friend talked to, as I'd say he's not interested by the sounds of it). Explain that it isn't prejudicial, but that it would be nice to be prewarned as to what sort of special needs these people have and what effects they have. Forewarned is forearmed, is what I say.
  • Options
    AmsyBamsy wrote:
    The 6th form centre is somewhere you go to learn, and I'll admit I'd be mightily pissed off if whenever I was walking down the corridor at my sixth form, I had to be wary or on my guard of someone-regardless of whether they're SEN or not. Talk to someone of a decent standing (preferably not the bloke you're friend talked to, as I'd say he's not interested by the sounds of it). Explain that it isn't prejudicial, but that it would be nice to be prewarned as to what sort of special needs these people have and what effects they have. Forewarned is forearmed, is what I say.

I guess the problem here is that many people (SEN or not) are unpredictable, so it might be a bit hard to warn them about what these people may or may not do to them.
  • Options
    Also, if there's been two incidents, maybe the carers aren't properly in control, as ultimately if the SEN person can't be held accountable for their actions then their carer should be.

If you had a young child in a supermarket who smashed loads of jam, you'd have to pay for example (unless I was the employee cos I'm nice and tell you not to worry about it :p). If there were multiple occurences with different children, the shop would probably say 'can all parents make sure to supervise their children'.

But just because a school doesn't directly make money, you're still a customer and deserve to be respected appropriately, they do receive money for you being there and should therefore not only teach you your subjects, but look after your health and safety, as with any business they have a duty of care. Whether it's students with SEN or young crazy children :p they can't let them attack everyone.
  • Options
    Well i don't think her girl had a carer with her because none of them spoke to her about it and she didnt have to fill in an accident form.
  • Options
    You've got to get pretty close to someone for them to be able to slap/punch you, so stay away doesn't necessarily mean stay 100m away, 3feet will do.
    she can stay 3ft away from this girl, but whats to stop this girl staying away from her?

i dont think the OP deliberately walked right by this girl, she was near her because she needed to get past
  • Options
    I've been doing some more asking round today to see if it's happened to anyone else. And there's been a few more. A guy in the upper 6th was in the toilet and one of the boys came in and kicked the cubicle door down - i don't know if he attacked him or not. There was a boy going round with a pair of scissors cutting peoples underwear if it was showing. And there was a boy who used to be sat on the seats outside the computer room all the time on his own who got violent to people coming in and out.

I've spoken to a few teachers about it and they all say that we need to make ourselves heard or they just won't bother doing anything about it. But if only a few people complain then they won't listen. I will talk to my head of 6th when i see her and see what goes from there anyway.
  • Options
    You always have a right to discuss a situation that is bothering you at school. People with SEN are defined that way because they have extra needs and require extra support - whether in education or in more social situations. In trying to intergrate people with any difficulties staff levels are always a problems.

From what you are describing it would seem that the level of support provided may not be acceptable - there's nothing unusual about supportive enviroments trying to cut staff until they reach a crisis point. They tend to wait for reports of problems before pushing the levels back up again.

And whilst I don't think you should see it as 'them' and 'us' - the people with SEN would seem to be being denied the support they have a right to - the people without SENs seem to be being denied the level of security you've a right to. You are both in the same boat in the end - and you need to make people aware of it.
  • Options
    sorry it's just easier to explain things using 'them' and 'us', i wasn't being nasty or anything :)
    I'll count up how many carers and pupils there are next week - because i don't think there's many carers actually. I'm not sure how their school is funded.
  • Options
    The 'carers' will be allocated on an individual basis, so person X need 8 hours of support a week, and person Y needs full time support.

This next bit isn't an insult in anyway shape or form, just an attempt to help you get your case listened to and get you more respect from the college authorities.

You will get a lot lot further if you drop the 'them and us' attitude/wording, even if it's just for ease of explaining. You do your case no favours at all, likewise you need to stop banding all the pupils from the SEN school together, just like your sixth form they are all individuals and have different behaviour and it makes you come across as a whinging, intolerant, judgemental and selfish person, which I'm sure you're not. :)
  • Options
    And that last sentence makes you appear to be judgemental and insulting Scary. I don't think you needed it to make your point and I'd remind you that making personal insults isn't permitted here. I don't believe I've read comments in this thread to justify that level of a comment. Please bear in mind how the OP may be feeling, as well as your own interpretation.
  • Options
    I'm trying not to sound insulting, hence the attempt to emphasise the 'come across as' rather than 'you are' and the 'which I'm sure you're not' to try and make it clear that it's not meant as an insult, merely a point to try and help Ballerina get listened to better by her college staff.

I was trying to explain how the use of language and phrasing is important (although evidently I'm not that hot at it myself) and was making the point about the phrasing, not the person.

Thanks for the comment about how I 'appear' Jim, I take it I can follow your example and leave my comment up.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    sorry it's just easier to explain things using 'them' and 'us', i wasn't being nasty or anything :)
    I'll count up how many carers and pupils there are next week - because i don't think there's many carers actually. I'm not sure how their school is funded.

I would just like to point out that there are certain people with SEN that won't always need a carer - I know of a few people like this. They will get a carer during the lesson, but not one who goes around with them all day because they don't always need them.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Thanks for the comment about how I 'appear' Jim, I take it I can follow your example and leave my comment up.

Tbh we would never recommend you edit your own posts - unless of course for grammar, punctuation or to add something - it's pretty disruptive and confusing.
  • Options
    Okies. Only thing I've done in the edit is add to try and make it clear I'm not being mean. :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Aye, no worries :)
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Tbh we would never recommend you edit your own posts - unless of course for grammar, punctuation or to add something - it's pretty disruptive and confusing.
    Point taken but hey, I was having a bad day and I did have the decency to make sure the thread still made sense. ;)
  • Options
    Well if i was talking about any other group of people i would say 'them' i don't see how it's different to saying 'the pupils with SEN' each time i mention them, and i don't know anything about them as individuals so i can only band them together. And i'm aware they don't all need carers, i've known one of them for 5 years and he's lovely, they range so much in severity it's hard to say how many they need.
  • Options
    The problem is people get very touching about banding people together, being judgemental and discrimination.

So while in theory using the same terms you'd use for other people *should* be ok, people will leap on you because they think that those with SEN need defending from such things.

It's a case of working the system and phrasing things how they like to hear them said, and trying to pre empt things being thrown back at you or ignored.