Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

School incident - should i do something?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    playdead wrote:
    to be honest i think if you do kick up a fuss people are likely to complain at you for not liking disabled children or something,
    I dont think thats true tbh.
    Its possible to make it completely clear that you havent got a problem with sharing your common room with others, special needs or not, but that when you get attacked, it takes it to another level. You dont expect it at school and you want to know how they are going to take steps to avoid the situation happening again.
  • Options
    Deleted. Again good advice given but people can't get past the fact that I don't share their views.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    As far as I can see, there are two issues here:
    1) Some girl pulled your hair. Really, who gives a crap? That's the sort of thing that happens all of the time in school.

Ditto. I know it's not exactly the same but, a while back I was at the nursery I work at for two days a week. I was in with the babies (who don't understand anything much) and one of them came over, put his arms around me and managed to get hold of my hair (a few strands or something) but I never said anything to anyone about this because I don't think he realised what he was actually doing - he wasn't trying to pull my hair out or anything like that.
    2) You, and probably others in your sixth form, don't know much about the problems that these 'special' pupils have, meaning that people can overreact when problems occur; meaning that what may or may not have been an innocent question about whether she got your neck will automatically lead people to the conclusion that this is a common occurrence. This is not your fault. I think that you have the right to know a little bit more about the conditions that these pupils suffer from. At the end of the day, this sort of knowledge could make the situation a lot easier for everyone.

Indeed, but the school doesn't have the right to go around telling everyone certain details about these students. I mean, would you be happy for people to know certain things about? I know I certainly wouldn't.
  • Options
    Another one fully defending Ballerina against other people
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Ditto. I know it's not exactly the same but, a while back I was at the nursery I work at for two days a week. I was in with the babies (who don't understand anything much) and one of them came over, put his arms around me and managed to get hold of my hair (a few strands or something) but I never said anything to anyone about this because I don't think he realised what he was actually doing - he wasn't trying to pull my hair out or anything like that.

Indeed, but the school doesn't have the right to go around telling everyone certain details about these students. I mean, would you be happy for people to know certain things about? I know I certainly wouldn't.

There is a difference between a baby and the girl that got me though. She darted round her carer and got hold of my hair. People who work with babies/disabled people etc expect to get hair pulled and stuff. But we as 6th formers don't expect to be spontainiously jumped on by these kids from the special school.

We don't need to know the ins and outs, but i think it's only fair for us to be more aware of who they actually are.
  • Options
    Fiend, if you're going to call that physical assault with all the implications that go with that then I hope you never work with children, ever. A one off hair pulling doesn't make someone a violent person.

Indeed. If it was something like punching then I would report it but because she only pulled your hair, I wouldn't bother.
  • Options
    Deleted. Heaven forbid you try and stop someone from sounding ignorant and prejudiced.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    jump to the conclusion that this is a dangerous individual who should be locked up.
    Show me one place where anyone has said that.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    Eh? Are you referring to typical behaviours? Please don't put it like that when you confront your Head of Sixth Form. It's comments like that which will cause people to have a go at you for not being understanding.
    How can they have a go for not understanding when that's what i'm trying to do?
  • Options
    And another one
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Show me one place where anyone has said that.
    Get down off your high horse and spot the irony!
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    You might find that the only difference between her and a toddler is that she's bigger and stronger!

As for referring to them as 'these kids from the special school', I would again advise you to avoid that delightful little phrase when you go and see your Head of Sixth Form.

If it makes you feel any better, the girl probably got a jolly good bollicking off her carer and the carer probably got the same from someone more senior than herself!:nervous:
    Yes, but i'm not her carer so i don't expect to get jumped on. I don't know what else to call them and i don't really want to name the school on here. I'm not stupid enough to call them that to my head.
  • Options
    Deleted again.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Yes, but i'm not her carer so i don't expect to get jumped on. I don't know what else to call them and i don't really want to name the school on here. I'm not stupid enough to call them that to my head.

No-one expects to get jumped on by people with special needs, but you have to understand that some of them may not having as much of an understanding of their actions like something without special needs would.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    So don't ask what they are capable of. They are probably capable of exactly the same things as you or I. So far we know that she is capable of hair pulling, just as you are. Try to ask more specific questions, such as what medical conditions these pupils have or if there are any typical behaviours that you should watch out for or if there are any pupils that you should avoid being alone with, etc etc.

Stop being so defensive. Other than the one comment - which many other people also made - about not seeing the incident as overly serious, I've done nothing but offer you good sound advice. Instead both you and Fiend have focused in on the few comments that people have made that you don't agree with and started arguing.

I do want you to sort this out, which I thought I'd made quite clear. I've advised you what to do and I've advised you the best way of going about doing it, which means you don't make comments that could be interpreted as prejudiced in any way, which you were in danger of doing.

I'm not going to say any more on this matter because as usual people are taking things out of context just so as they can have some kind of argument rather than offering constructive advice to you, the OP.
    I never said that this was serious, but it was hardly a quick tug on my hair.
    I have agreed and disagreed with comments, i just don't think it's fair to compare these kids to babies and drunk people. I know you have been offering help but you have come off as a bit patronising, which is probably why my answers seem arguing.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    No-one expects to get jumped on by people with special needs, but you have to understand that some of them may not having as much of an understanding of their actions like something without special needs would.
    I know she didn't understand what she was doing, i never said it was her fault. It might have been a freak incident - or it might not, I don't know because i've only been in the 6th form since september and they've been sharing our 6th form for as long as i've been at this school and probably longer, so i don't know if it's happened before. And if it has, then i'm a bit concerned so i would like to find out. That's all.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I don't know what else to call them
    Pupils who have special education needs OR SEN
  • Options
    It's irrelevant if the girl didn't know what she was doing. Though I would say if she didn't then maybe she shouldn't be in a mainstream schooling environment. Harsh, but [I think] true.

Anyway, regardless of who did it, the plain and simple fact is that Ballerina was assaulted and at the very least the facts of the matter need to be officially recorded.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It's irrelevant if the girl didn't know what she was doing. Though I would say if she didn't then maybe she shouldn't be in a mainstream schooling environment. Harsh, but [I think] true.

I agree with this. Although ballerina did say they're not educated in the same building if i remember correctly, just that they come over and use the facilities sometimes. When I worked in school for children with SEN we would do the same thing with the older children (in the 16+ unit), take them to a nearby school and use their facilities, more as a sort of outing for the pupils and to get them more used to a college environment.

I've worked with children with SEN who lash out and its very hard to stop them sometimes but I do think I agree that if she can't be with other students without doing it then she shouldnt be using the sixth form facilities. but then again i guess it comes down to the what-do-you-do-with-them then thing. I don't think that makes sense but hey.

how annoying is this thread to read btw with all the deleted posts. doesnt really make sense! if its your opinion and you really believe in it just leave it up!
  • Options
    I agree with this. Although ballerina did say they're not educated in the same building if i remember correctly, just that they come over and use the facilities sometimes. When I worked in school for children with SEN we would do the same thing with the older children (in the 16+ unit), take them to a nearby school and use their facilities, more as a sort of outing for the pupils and to get them more used to a college environment.

I've worked with children with SEN who lash out and its very hard to stop them sometimes but I do think I agree that if she can't be with other students without doing it then she shouldnt be using the sixth form facilities. but then again i guess it comes down to the what-do-you-do-with-them then thing. I don't think that makes sense but hey.

how annoying is this thread to read btw with all the deleted posts. doesnt really make sense! if its your opinion and you really believe in it just leave it up!
    They come over and use the classrooms in the hallway of the 6th form center. Not sure what they do but they use the center all day.
  • Options

I'm sure it is annoying but it still makes perfect sense. I've been quoted where necessary anyway. It's more annoying when you give advice, based on the information to hand and you get accused of being patronising. I'm sorry to anyone else who reads this thread but I was sick of my comments being taken out of context. :banghead:
  • Options
    I despair, I really do. Ballerina, what makes them different to you? Does the rest of your 6th form know all about you? Do you know all about the rest of your 6th form? Do you know a complete history of all those with special needs in your 6th form? Do you have training to deal with the lads that fight every so often?

No I didn't think so.
  • Options
    I despair, I really do. Ballerina, what makes them different to you? Does the rest of your 6th form know all about you? Do you know all about the rest of your 6th form? Do you know a complete history of all those with special needs in your 6th form? Do you have training to deal with the lads that fight every so often?

No I didn't think so.
    There's no need to make digs. Did i say i wanted to know everything?
  • Options
    You said you wanted to know about 'them' and how to handle them. I was trying to make the point that there is no reason that you should.
  • Options
    I'd have reported it personally. If someone that didn't have SEN came up and yanked hard on my hair, i would so report it. Seeing as your not meant to treat them any different, you just treat them like you would anyone else.
  • Options
    You said you wanted to know about 'them' and how to handle them. I was trying to make the point that there is no reason that you should.
    I didn't say i wanted to know everything. It might make things more comfortable all around if we were a bit better informed, that's all.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I'd have reported it personally. If someone that didn't have SEN came up and yanked hard on my hair, i would so report it. Seeing as your not meant to treat them any different, you just treat them like you would anyone else.

So why not punch them in the nose then?

Apart from the cruelty aspect, if you look at 'living creatures' on a basic level, they all respond to pain as a 'bad' thing. That's why when I was little and if I fought with my brothers or sisters I got a hiding.

In some of my experience students with SEN knew the difference between right and wrong but could get away with it because they were special needs. It wasn't like they didn't know what they were doing, they just found it funny. However, that was a select few who had things like ADHD and other behavioural disorders, and if a clearly autistic person attacked me I wouldn't attack back because in all likelihood they don't realise either what they're doing or that it's wrong.

These things happen though and shouldn't be brushed off, I think if it was me I would have said 'no worries' to the carer and walked off, then had an informal chat with my head of year / form tutor explaining what happened.
  • Options
    Well today one of my friends got slapped and swore at in the same corridoor by another girl. She spoke to our head of year and her response was 'well just keep away from them'. :eek2:
    I found out that their school paid for the center to be built so they could use it. So it's probably why our school won't say anything.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Well today one of my friends got slapped and swore at in the same corridoor by another girl. She spoke to our head of year and her response was 'well just keep away from them'. :eek2:
    I found out that their school paid for the center to be built so they could use it. So it's probably why our school won't say anything.

What else do you expect them to say?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    What else do you expect them to say?
    a lot more than "keep away from them then" for starters

i doubt she was walking past her for fun, she obviously needed to pass this girl and thats when the incident occured

the girl cant stay out of the corridors for fear of bumping into this girl again

at some point they are going to cross paths