Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Giving Blood this Christmas?

Christmas is always a time that puts a lot of pressure on blood stocks, so who is going to give blood over the holidays? I fully intend to, either tonight or in Christmas week, although I have been lax and not done it for a couple of years.

Everyone should go and do it, even being scared of needles isn't a good enough excuse!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Kermit wrote:
    Christmas is always a time that puts a lot of pressure on blood stocks, so who is going to give blood over the holidays? I fully intend to, either tonight or in Christmas week, although I have been lax and not done it for a couple of years.

Everyone should go and do it, even being scared of needles isn't a good enough excuse!
    I would, but i dont know if the nice peeps are round this way, do you have a link to a list of areas and dates and what not?

free biccies guys, definately worth it!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    they dont bloody want mine, although id be happy to give it if they did.
  • Options
    Which reason do they use?

bunnie, have a look on blood.co.uk, there's a tool to search for dates by postcode.
  • Options
    I'm giving blood on January 12th. Been meaning to do it for years, but I always remember a week after having another piercing, so I'm usually scuppered! Not this year though - gonna make the effort and help.
  • Options
    lol, theres a few unfortunately. Got a few skeletons in my closet.
    Its a shame because ive tested negative for HIV, hepatitis etc which are the main ones they look for. Probably a safer bet than half the other people that give blood who havent been tested at all.
  • Options
    I gave blood two weeks ago. I give blood 3 times a year, my last time was my 15th pint.
  • Options
    lol, theres a few unfortunately. Got a few skeletons in my closet.

Fair enough.

I always find the rules about gay/bi men being banned from donation to be a bit harsh, but if they didn't do it and someone caught HIV, there'd be an uproar. And it does happen- a five year old girl in Melbourne got HIV from an infected transfusion about ten years ago, poor thing.
  • Options
    Always used to but was totally put off when I got a phonecall at home telling me they were in the area and would I be attending. I said no cause I'd just had a tattoo done and he had a right old go at me for being so selfish! I thought that was totally out of line... but as it goes I've had a piercing recently so can't give this time around anyway
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote:
    I would, but i dont know if the nice peeps are round this way, do you have a link to a list of areas and dates and what not?

You can search for your local session on this website.http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/a1where.html
  • Options
    I'm not sure if i can or not as i've had glandular fever. I'm getting a piercing soon anyway.
  • Options
    I would if I could but I can't. Have done many a time in the past, though.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I do give blood but can't at the moment because I travelled to a malaria area in October so have to wait till April till I can donate again.

I like donating because work have to give me the time off, so I get paid for lying on a bed listening to the radio and then eating biscuits.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I do give blood but can't at the moment because I travelled to a malaria area in October so have to wait till April till I can donate again.

I like donating because work have to give me the time off, so I get paid for lying on a bed listening to the radio and then eating biscuits.
  • Options
    what happens if they find it hard to get your vein. Where do they take it from?
  • Options
    They usually take it from the vein in your arm, and would try the other one if they can't find the vein.

It's never happened to me so I'm not sure what happens.
  • Options
    i would, but cant until about february due to some medication i was on for a while :( as soon as i can, i will though!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I would if I could but I can't. Have done many a time in the past, though.
    same, im on waiting ;ists for various test so, im not allowed. always something ive wanted to thou!
  • Options
    I was going to the other day as well, but they don't want me til I've had my tattoo for 6 months, and I've only just finished my antibiotics.

I was going to in the summer as well, but they didn't want me for another reason (I can't remember it now, wasn't anything big, I'd probably had a cold or something)
  • Options
    I used to, don't anymore though :p
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I used to, don't anymore though :p

How selfish ;)
  • Options
    Wow. I'm not suprised to see so many people saying 'I would but I can't'. No wonder the NHS is in so short supply. I'm going into town on Friday so I'll give blood then. Just wondering how many people are donors of any sort here?
  • Options
    I don't get the whole gay/bi thing? Surely as long as the blood Has come from a healthy person it shouldn't matter? Anyone can get HIV these days.
    Don't they test the blood before it's used anyway?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

I thought they treated all blood as a matter of course now. I know HIV, outside the body, is very fragile and easily killed.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    How selfish ;)

*giggles*
  • Options
    Just wondering how many people are donors of any sort here?

I used to donate regularly, nearly got me silver badge :( and i used to carry an organ donor card, which i'd had since i was 17.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

They do, but it is deemed a big risk and quite rightly they don't want to take that risk.

They won't let you donate if you take or have taken injection drugs for the same reason, and people who have been sexually active in HIV areas or with homosexual men or with people who have taken injection drugs are barred for a year. People who have had sex for money are barred too.
  • Options
    Wow. I'm not suprised to see so many people saying 'I would but I can't'. No wonder the NHS is in so short supply. I'm going into town on Friday so I'll give blood then. Just wondering how many people are donors of any sort here?

I've got an organ donor card. I want to start donating blood regularly, but the only chances I've known of this year I've been unable to both times. Wont be able to til May either, so I'll have to start then.
  • Options
    what happens if they find it hard to get your vein. Where do they take it from?

My veins are very hard to find so i have that problem every time i give blood. Usually they will ask a senior nurse to find it, as it's very faint and they need a proffesional. Other times they just use my other arm, the vein is slightly less concealed on the right side. They've never refused my blood on that basis, it just takes longer.
  • Options
    They don't want my blood :(
  • Options
    I want to give blood but im too young. When i can I will.